Arizona Late Season OTC Archery Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Null90 View Post
    How much do the tags cost? What other permits are required? Where can I find more details out about this. Thanks in advance and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.
    Google arizona hunting license cost (i want to say its 160 for non-res) then you have to buy the OTC deer tag (dont recall non-res price). All you need is license and tag.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I got my start bow hunting the King of Arizona mine area in West Arizona. I also hunted Javelina near Nogales and Casa Grande. In each case the key was to spot the water holes on the topo map and then set up in a wash a mile or more away.

I’d spend a day or two sitting higher terrain before sun-up so I could spot the herds and watch which way they traveled. If they were close I’d find a way to get ahead of them and set up an ambush point. If they were too far off I’d pick a spot and set up the next morning. I was successful most years if I had a week to hunt.

A key I found on spot-and-stalks was once I was in a target area I needed to walk three to five steps, stop for a three count, then walk a few more steps and repeat. Walk on the balls of your feet. Deer make one crunch per footfall. People walking normally make two with each step, toe then heal.

Use your Bino’s to check out the area during each pause. Don’t forget to look behind you and remember that you’re looking for a part of an antler, an ear, a piece of fur, etc., not an entire animal. If you’re slow and careful you’ll frequently see an ear or tail twitch through the branches. If you spot your target before they see you, you are way ahead of the game,

I used felt over-soles called Bears feet when hunting on sand or gravel. It reduces the noise and changes the sound you make.

The animals will hear you but if you sound like another animal they will frequently let you get close. Nothing but a man walks at a steady pace. Animals, especially prey animals, stop frequently to listen and check out the area.

If I used that start/stop walking pattern, and had the wind in my face, I could usually walk to within 40 or 50 yards without spooking my target. My closest shot on a spot-and-stalk was 10-yards.

Before I figured out to set up well away from the water holes I’d get really frustrated during the 10-day gun seasons. I’d spend weeks scouting, and would see all kinds of deer during scouting season. Starting the morning of the gun season the area would be empty of animals.

I finally spent the night before opening sitting on a hill. Vehicles starting showing up on the roads in the area around 2 AM and by about an hour before sunrise their was a steady stream of vehicles traveling the area.

I believe that the game animals figured out that a lot of vehicles meant danger and the herds moved out into the flats for most of the season. They’d only come in for water during the dark. By setting up on an active trail a mile or more from the water I could catch the herds moving back to the flats.

If you’re going gun hunting after Mule deer, the other thing to keep in mind is that when you spook the deer it will usually run 75 to a hundred yards, then stop and look back to see what spooked them. If you’re patient, you’ll frequently have a short window where you’ll have a standing broad side shot while they are looking back.

Good luck.

Gary

Comment

Cpatteraon, when you were in 27 did you tent camp or stay anywhere particular?

Comment

I have a week off Jan 10-17. I am really giving some thought to driving out and giving this a try. Even if I don’t stick anything, still be a fun trip and get to see some new country. I have a lot of new gear I’m wanting to try out.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
            Google arizona hunting license cost (i want to say its 160 for non-res) then you have to buy the OTC deer tag (dont recall non-res price). All you need is license and tag.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            The license is $160 and is valid for a year, that’s how I’m doing the points, buy a license and it falls just right for 2 draw cycles. The OTC deer tags are $300, not bad if you’re there for awhile. I’m not 100% but, I believe you can keep your tag for the January thru the December archery seasons.

Comment

My buddy, his dad and I are heading west today.

Planning a Monday to Friday.

Anyone else been, currently there or going?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X