Spring Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boomerang View Post
    27,154 gallons per acre equals 1" of water. If you irrigated 6 acres during a hot dry spell with 1" of water the 500 gallon tank needs to be filled about 326 times.
    Yep. The idea of irrigating plots gets real dismal when you put actual numbers to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomerang View Post
      27,154 gallons per acre equals 1" of water. If you irrigated 6 acres during a hot dry spell with 1" of water the 500 gallon tank needs to be filled about 326 times.

There is no way I am filling up the tank 326 times but I believe some moisture is better than no moisture what so ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio_III View Post
        There is no way I am filling up the tank 326 times but I believe some moisture is better than no moisture what so ever.

Your evaporation rates in South Texas will be more than you can overcome with your irrigation rig.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
          Your evaporation rates in South Texas will be more than you can overcome with your irrigation rig.
          That is true.

There was still plenty of moisture on the ground so I am hoping that it will help seeds germinate until the next rains come.

Comment

Milo & Sunflowers

Planted Milo and Sunflowers 2 weeks ago. I was able to get out there and check on things yesterday. They are coming up pretty good considering lack of rain.

I had a little moisture when i planted and we were lucky enough to get 1/2" this weekend so hopefully they will continue to thrive.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio_III View Post
              I will be putting in Spring food plots this weekend and was wondering if it is too late?

Food Plots are about 6 acres total and I will be irrigating them at least once a week.

I will be broadcast planting...

Lab lab
              Sunn Hemp
              IC Cowpeas
              Sorghum
              Sunflowers

Last year I planted late March and had great success until the deer wiped them out so this year we made bigger food plots in hopes to have the cultivars mature.
              What % germination rate would you estimate you got with broadcasting? Did you drag or do anything to cover the seed?

Comment

I've only got about a 25% germination rate about now. Planted 2 weeks ago and have t had rain since.

I broadcasted the seed, dragged using a chain harrow and cultipacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                  Planted Milo and Sunflowers 2 weeks ago. I was able to get out there and check on things yesterday. They are coming up pretty good considering lack of rain.

I had a little moisture when i planted and we were lucky enough to get 1/2" this weekend so hopefully they will continue to thrive.

Hoping to get out to our place this week to see how the food plot is looking!!
                  We haven't received any more rain, but there is a small chance this week.

Comment

Planted over a month ago. Started out real well, but now voluntary wheat is coming up. Hope it doesn't smother out the new stuff.

Comment

I planted a small plot March 28th in East Texas and this was its growth in a month. Used East Texas Seed Company's spring plot mix. Deer have been hitting it good around the protein feeder. First time ever doing a food plot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TheWidowMaker View Post
                        I planted a small plot March 28th in East Texas and this was its growth in a month. Used East Texas Seed Company's spring plot mix. Deer have been hitting it good around the protein feeder. First time ever doing a food plot.

I used that same mix, but I planted on April 14. Mine isn't as far along as yours obviously, but now I can't wait to see what mine looks like in another couple of weeks. Your plot looks really good,

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                          I used that same mix, but I planted on April 14. Mine isn't as far along as yours obviously, but now I can't wait to see what mine looks like in another couple of weeks. Your plot looks really good,
                          I limed and fertilized it accordingly. Plus a few good rains

Comment

Spring Food Plots

Finally got some decent rain and the food plots are coming along.

Comment

Iron clay peas planted April 25th. Pic was from last Saturday. The deer are just starting to eat them.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TheWidowMaker View Post

Here's updated pics right at two months after planting. I was standing up in my ranger to get the picture. Some sunflowers already blooming and at 5' tall. Pretty happy with my first attempt at a food plot. You can see how they're keeping it mowed down around the protein feeder. They're even bedding down under the feeder

Comment

Working...
                                X