Scope suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope suggestions

Well I’m taking the easier route and asking on here. I am looking for a scope for my APR build. I’m no dummy but not real knowledge on the difference scopes/specs. Never owned anything over a leupold vari x2.

-I’m looking for around a 3x15 or so, can be More
    -Wanting something with some kind or turrets etc so if I ever shoot long distance..
    -been looking at the vx5hd, and my question with that, is how are the turrets on those in the cds, can that be used to dial in at longer ranges?

What should I look for in a good quality/ useing turrets scope? In a hunting situation if you wanted to reach out and touch a hog etc would you use the turrets or a certain reticle??

Not set on anything yet, but I want to get something I can use mainly for hunting but want the option of shooting at longer ranges if I like . What do I look for? What mm objective? What power? What focal plane?( not really sure what that means) what reticle.

I have read up on this stuff but get confused on some of it so I just decided to ask from a plethora of knowledge on here.

Vx5HD will do everything you want it to do. You can learn to shoot distance by dialing or you can use the CDS system once you know what load your rifle likes and is consistent with.

If you don’t shoot much in the form of practice, the CDS will have you covered. If you want to learn the discipline of long distance shooting by dialing it can do that too. I have a Vx5HD 3-15 and really like it.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
      Vx5HD will do everything you want it to do. You can learn to shoot distance by dialing or you can use the CDS system once you know what load your rifle likes and is consistent with.

If you don’t shoot much in the form of practice, the CDS will have you covered. If you want to learn the discipline of long distance shooting by dialing it can do that too. I have a Vx5HD 3-15 and really like it.

Sierracharlie out…
      So do the vx5hd dials set back to zero easy to use in the field? Like shooting at a pig? Or not ideal?

Comment

Originally posted by j.trevor123 View Post
        So do the vx5hd dials set back to zero easy to use in the field? Like shooting at a pig? Or not ideal?

Yep pretty easy and real similar by principal to many other zero stop dials out there. There are videos that show you how to set it if the written instructions aren’t cutting it.

Say you dial to make a shot then if you can’t remember what you dialed (as long as zero stop is set) just dial down til it stops and you’re at zero.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Well I’m taking the easier route and asking on here. I am looking for a scope for my APR build. I’m no dummy but not real knowledge on the difference scopes/specs. Never owned anything over a leupold vari x2.

-I’m looking for around a 3x15 or so, can be More
          -Wanting something with some kind or turrets etc so if I ever shoot long distance..
          -been looking at the vx5hd, and my question with that, is how are the turrets on those in the cds, can that be used to dial in at longer ranges?

What should I look for in a good quality/ useing turrets scope? In a hunting situation if you wanted to reach out and touch a hog etc would you use the turrets or a certain reticle??

Not set on anything yet, but I want to get something I can use mainly for hunting but want the option of shooting at longer ranges if I like . What do I look for? What mm objective? What power? What focal plane?( not really sure what that means) what reticle.

I have read up on this stuff but get confused on some of it so I just decided to ask from a plethora of knowledge on here.
          My earlier reply got deleted, or I did something wrong with the in line quote. Are you familiar with MOA or Milrad right now? That is the biggest question I have in regards to reticle. If you are new to both I would go Milrad to learn. I am older so MOA inches, feet, yards just makes sense. I have tried Mrad and always make mistakes on timed shots.

Comment

Yep pretty easy and real similar by principal to many other zero stop dials out there. There are videos that show you how to set it if the written instructions aren’t cutting it.

Say you dial to make a shot then if you can’t remember what you dialed (as long as zero stop is set) just dial down til it stops and you’re at zero.

Sierracharlie out…
            Okay gotcha, was curious is you could zero back

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
              My earlier reply got deleted, or I did something wrong with the in line quote. Are you familiar with MOA or Milrad right now? That is the biggest question I have in regards to reticle. If you are new to both I would go Milrad to learn. I am older so MOA inches, feet, yards just makes sense. I have tried Mrad and always make mistakes on timed shots.
              Well I am not fimiliar with milrad at all, can’t aay that I have heard of it period. I understand moa a lot more by default and in general.

Comment

Well I am not fimiliar with milrad at all, can’t aay that I have heard of it period. I understand moa a lot more by default and in general.

If you don’t plan to do a lot of shooting at distance or shooting comps, IMO, you are better sticking with a system you are already semi familiar with - MOA.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If you don’t plan to do a lot of shooting at distance or shooting comps, IMO, you are better sticking with a system you are already semi familiar with - MOA.

Sierracharlie out…
                  I agree.

Comment

Sierracharlie out…
                    What reticle do you have on yours?

Comment

I chime in and say the VX5HD also. I think it's the best bang for the money right now. Mine tracks great.

Comment

Check out meopta R1 4x16x44

Comment

What reticle do you have on yours?

I actually went with the impact 29 reticle because of the type of shooting I do. The windplex is another option also as well as the BOone and Crockett reticle

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

SierraCharlie you seem to have some time behind the VX5HD. What type of ranges have you taken it to? I’m not knew to long range, and spent most of my time between 1000 and a mile. That being said I don’t have any familiarity with hunting glass. I’ve ran Leupold MK6 3-18, ATACR 4-16, Steiner T5 3-15, and Razor 3-18 on personal rifles, and many more on borrowed rifles. I’m hoping for some decent and reliable turrets on hunting glass, which is something I’ve never found. The MK5 is a bit intriguing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              SierraCharlie you seem to have some time behind the VX5HD. What type of ranges have you taken it to? I’m not knew to long range, and spent most of my time between 1000 and a mile. That being said I don’t have any familiarity with hunting glass. I’ve ran Leupold MK6 3-18, ATACR 4-16, Steiner T5 3-15, and Razor 3-18 on personal rifles, and many more on borrowed rifles. I’m hoping for some decent and reliable turrets on hunting glass, which is something I’ve never found. The MK5 is a bit intriguing as well.

I wouldn’t put this scope in a class with the ATACR by any stretch but IMO like someone else stated it’s the best bang for your buck in a hunting set up. I say that mainly due to the turret system. They just aren’t in the same class as even the NXS line. That is just something I love about NF scopes.

Again if you were looking to do comps or extensive long range shooting I’d suggest something else. But for a hunting set up where you will dial a yardage and shoot 1-3 times then return to zero this is about as good as it gets without being a “tactically” priced scope. Will it do the tactical style of shooting? Sure but there are better options, they just cost more.

So far I have had zero issues with mine and I ask it to do more than the majority of people would in a hunting rifle setup.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X