Land Clearing & Replanting Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land Clearing & Replanting Cost

Ok, this might be a simple question, but I could use some advice for something I've never done before.

Member of family wanted to buy some land.
    Wants to clear a portion to help pay for the rest. Harvest some pine now, replant then repeat in 10 years.

I've never cleared land or hired someone to do this, so forgive my simple questions.

1. Is this a company or individual that does the clearing then sell the tree, and to who?

2. Once cut down, who does the replanting?

3. Realistically, how much money will this bring in?

4. What types of trees are we looking to cut?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Team!

Find a good Registered Forester and talk to him or her. There are a lot of issues to consider. The best thing is just like your note they grow 24 hours a day.

There was at least one thread on this within the past six months or so.

Comment

Yep

No way for anyone to answer what the timber might bring without a timber survey

Could bring enough to clear and replant but might not bring enough to buy the seedlings. All depends on what is there now

Another thing to consider is some stands of hardwood can have hollow or rotten cores and what looks like a fortune turns out to be worthless

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
        Yep

No way for anyone to answer what the timber might bring without a timber survey

Could bring enough to clear and replant but might not bring enough to buy the seedlings. All depends on what is there now

Another thing to consider is some stands of hardwood can have hollow or rotten cores and what looks like a fortune turns out to be worthless
        Good info and thanks.
        So who does a timber survey?

Thanks

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

In 2000 we had a forester look at our land. He said give it 8 more years before cutting. in 2008 we had a forester look at our land and he said we should make enough money on he cut to pay for planting new trees to be planted

IN 2011 we had the land cut and made a decent amount of money. As stated above, it's impossible to say until you have a forester take a look.

Not sure where you're located but we ended up using Jesse Bownds out of Timpson Texas and cut mature pine and some hardwood. He handled everything.

Comment

Also keep in mind that timber prices rise & fall. Cutting when prices are down is foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by RingSteel View Post
                Also keep in mind that timber prices rise & fall. Cutting when prices are down is foolish.

Yep, that's why ours went from break-even to profitable. In a couple years. Timber price fluctuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

TBH'r did mine a couple years ago

Have to go back and see what his name is, screen name on here is eagles___.

He was just getting started out of college

Comment

Thanks team for the good info.

Comment

Working...
                    X