No announcement yet.

Sailors and Knot guys....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote for ditching the rope and going to the hardware store after some chain and quick links.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
      An eye splice would look really good.
      ^^^^
      It will look sleek and professional with an eye splice and the more weight you put on it the stronger it is

Comment

Originally posted by poisonivie View Post
        Hogslayer hit it just right. I don't use the heatshrink tho, I think it looks fine.

Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          I think I can do that! Maybe wife the ends at the top there to keep it all tight... thanks, men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          We use electrical tape and tape the ends from tip to top...maybe and 1.5" on rope like that. It helps when slicing through the strands. As you make a few splices, pull tight and tap it with a pipe/hammer. You can use a screw driver to help loosed the strands or i you have lathe, you can make what we use. Shop term is bats and I honestly have no clue the real name. Tapping the splices every so often will help make them lay flat and more uniform. Pull tight when doing that. If you have a wire rope and sling shop near by, very likely they can do what you want and look good. Good luck on it. Oh when done, some times we leave the E tape on it and sometimes we heat seal...depends on what customer wants. The heat seal is a good idea, cut to the length that looks good to you and go for it. Good luck

Added in edit, this is if splicing an eye on the end, There are other options, I just knoww hat you want. How are you attached to swing? Eye bolts?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by brushtrooper; 05-07-2017, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
            We use electrical tape and tape the ends from tip to top...maybe and 1.5" on rope like that. It helps when slicing through the strands. As you make a few splices, pull tight and tap it with a pipe/hammer. You can use a screw driver to help loosed the strands or i you have lathe, you can make what we use. Shop term is bats and I honestly have no clue the real name. Tapping the splices every so often will help make them lay flat and more uniform. Pull tight when doing that. If you have a wire rope and sling shop near by, very likely they can do what you want and look good. Good luck on it. Oh when done, some times we leave the E tape on it and sometimes we heat seal...depends on what customer wants. The heat seal is a good idea, cut to the length that looks good to you and go for it. Good luck

Added in edit, this is if splicing an eye on the end, There are other options, I just knoww hat you want. How are you attached to swing? Eye bolts?
            Nice marlin spike!!! Splice is the only way to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, that's somethin! Feels strong!

Comment

A fid is used when splicing rope. Marlin spike is for splicing cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Well, that's somethin! Feels strong!

Looks good. It will smooth out the longer it hangs with weight on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

If you had old 2 Grass Bull Ropes it would look good. Good job on the splice.

Comment

It looks like you may have jumped a few strands in your splice I am sure it is plenty strong though.

Comment

Yes, the second time through some of the strands didn't make sense. I'm going to clean it up a little bit tonight.

Comment

Getting close!

Comment

Redid the last set of wraps.

Comment

Working...
                            X