Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas
Default Parkland father files suit against School resource officer

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...fficer-n870326

Quote:
A father whose daughter was killed in the Feb. 14 mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against not only the accused gunman, but the school resource officer who stayed outside while the rampage took place.

In his suit filed Monday in Broward Circuit Court, Andrew Pollack names Scot Peterson, the armed sheriff's deputy assigned to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, as a defendant.

Andrew Pollack

@AndrewPollackFL
I filed a wrongful death suit against Deputy Peterson today. I want to expose that coward so bad. Where ever he goes I want people to recognize him and say that's one of the cowards of Broward. The SRO that let those children and teachers die on the 3rd floor!

6:56 PM - Apr 30, 2018
6,655 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
"I want to expose that coward so bad," Pollack tweeted of Peterson, who resigned as a school resource officer, or SRO, amid an investigation into the shooting. "Where ever he goes I want people to recognize him and say that's one of the cowards of Broward. The SRO that let those children and teachers die on the 3rd floor!"

The suit asks for a jury trial and unspecified damages. Pollack, whose daughter, Meadow, was one of the 17 people killed in the shooting, also tweeted that it "has nothing to do with money."

A week after the massacre, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed that Peterson was outside the school for upward of four minutes and, while armed, never engaged the shooter.

Peterson should have "addressed the killer, killed the killer," Israel said at a news conference.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

I agree that he showed cowardice in the situation but slippery slope. This would open up LE to a level of civil liability never seen before. Basically it would burn more good cops than bad in the end.

Take out some billboards if you want to make a point but don't create case precedence for the cop haters to use.

Forgot to add this would also burn EMS and Fire Fighters. There is no established legal requirement outside of the military that would legally require you to die or put yourself in a situation where death is the most likely outcome (bringing a revolver or pistol to a semi auto rifle fight.)

Last edited by J Sweet; 05-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
I agree that he showed cowardice in the situation but slippery slope. This would open up LE to a level of civil liability never seen before. Basically it would burn more good cops than bad in the end.

Take out some billboards if you want to make a point but don't create case precedence for the cop haters to use.
I agree, but someone needs to do something to bring that entire sheriff's department down. I don't think this is the way to do it though.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
I agree, but someone needs to do something to bring that entire sheriff's department down. I don't think this is the way to do it though.
I believe in Texas when a LE dept at the municipality or county level becomes corrupted or deemed incompetent the Rangers take over. I don't know that FL has that an elite group of professionals though.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

WASHINGTON, June 27 - The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/p...o-protect.html

Lot of fault to go around. But I dont think the guy is going to win the lawsuit. I think the federal program that kept Cruz in school is more to blame.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
systemnt
Pope & Young

I certainly hope the first lawsuit filed was against the shooter.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I just can't see suing some fellow for lack of courage.. It is just me but I can't imagine the shame that guy has to live with knowing kids died because he lacked the manhood to fight.

His life has to be awful
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
systemnt
Pope & Young

David Hogg would've been in full out attack mode...if cruz would've just opened the closet.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

I believe i saw something yesterday that the sherrifs association voted unanimously no confidence in the sherriff down there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkripper View Post
I believe i saw something yesterday that the sherrifs association voted unanimously no confidence in the sherriff down there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The whole department needs to go. There is a history of incompetence and corruption. Also, the way they treated Kyle Kashuv is just freaking odd. Do nothing to prevent an obvious psycho, but then interrogate the vocal pro 2nd amendment kid for going to the gun range with his dad. Hmmmm......
Old 05-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #11
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Pretty sure SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled that police officers at all levels of the government have no duty to protect the citizens of this country.

Hence... CHL
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #12
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
Pretty sure SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled that police officers at all levels of the government have no duty to protect the citizens of this country.

Hence... 2nd Amendment
Fixed it for ya.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #13
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

Stopping a shooter with a pistol and shooter having an AR would be a slim chance, but he may have slowed him down.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #14
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Quote:
Fixed it for ya.
Works fer me
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #15
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
The whole department needs to go. There is a history of incompetence and corruption. Also, the way they treated Kyle Kashuv is just freaking odd. Do nothing to prevent an obvious psycho, but then interrogate the vocal pro 2nd amendment kid for going to the gun range with his dad. Hmmmm......
Agreed 1000%

I'd like to see him file suite for violating his civil rights.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2018, 06:56 AM   #16
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Stopping a shooter with a pistol and shooter having an AR would be a slim chance, but he may have slowed him down.
Hiding behind the car certainly didnt do much.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #17
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Guess who just retired with an $8,700 per month pension? Ole Scot Peterson. No wonder states are going bankrupt if a sheriff's deputy gets a retirement of over 100K/yr.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #18
jer_james
Ten Point

Im not sure how well a lawsuit works in this situation, but if that were one of my Babies invovled, I would make is life a living hel l in whatever way possible.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top