Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas
Default How to wake up better?

I am not a morning person. Regardless of how much I sleep, I have a hard time getting out of bed when my alarm goes off. I'm pretty much a bear for a good hour minimum until I get enough caffeine in me. After that I'm good to go. I do not get sleepy during the day. I prefer to stay busy even after I get home from work. I workout at a high intensity level 6 days a week. I do not sleep straight through the night ever. I do not wake up and have trouble going back to sleep. I just wake up a fair amount to re position. I have tried taking melatonin and it helps me stay asleep longer but does not change how I feel in the morning. Same results with Mtn OPs Slumber drink. I do not have back pain or anything when sleeping or after waking. I sleep an average of 7.5-8.5 hours a night. My alarm typically goes off at 0515. On fridays I have to get up at 0415. I go to bed earlier to compensate. I do not go to bed with stress. I fall asleep quickly. I am 30 years old and physically fit and healthy.

My wife wakes up chipper every morning. She might wake up at 4 am and be wide awake and happy about it. Even if I get to sleep in until 7 or 730 on the weekend, I still feel about the same when I wake up.

Am I just not a morning person and that is that? Or is there something I can improve on? Anybody gotten a different mattress that actually made a big difference? What about those alarms that wake you up slowly with light? What about the sleep cycle monitors that are supposed to wake you up at the optimum point in your sleep cycle?

Is my brain addicted to caffeine now and just refuses to wake up until it gets it?
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
BigDraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Melvin TX

Yes, u ain’t alone. }
BigDraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

I'm not a morning person either. I don't drink coffee very much, maybe once or twice a week. It is amazing however that I can pop right out of bed at 5am to go hunting or fishing but 6am to go to work, I'm sluggish as hell. Wish I had an answer for you, you may be onto something with the caffeine.
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

Could be a variety of things. First things I would look at are comfort level of your bed and what pre-workout you are taking (if you are). I used to take a pre-workout that was loaded with caffeine and it would greatly affect my sleep even if i took it early in the day. Willing to bet the caffeine has alot to do with it.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
44mAG
Ten Point

My weight fluctuates in a 20lb range depending on when I feel motivated and not. When down in weight, I wake up with way more energy. This is my experience and may have nothing to do with your issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I can tell you what works for me. Immediately upon arising I drink one - and often two - 8 oz. glasses of water while the coffee is brewing. We always wake up at least slightly dehydrated every morning. That water on an empty stomach does a great job of jump-starting the system.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
LeanMachine
Ten Point

I've never been remotely close to over weight.

I drink a lot of caffeine. I have drank energy drinks for so long that I can't remember how I slept and woke up before them. I go back and forth between monsters and the crystal light pure energy mix. I feel like i'm risking my own safety if I don't drink it on the way to work driving down I20 for 70 miles.

Caffeine has a long half life but I do not feel it is affecting my sleep. I used to drink tea at night and that definitely affected my sleep. I don't do that anymore. I do feel that it has to be affecting my wake up based on dependency.

I do not use pre-workout.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
Part Timer
Six Point

Hunt In: Cleveland, TX

I read your entire post because i have almost the same issue. Waking up often throughout the night and all. I have been thinking i need more excercise.

What i gathered from your post is excercising more will not help me. This is very unmotivating. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
RR 314
Ten Point

Man, I probably average four to five hours of sleep a night Monday-Thursday and awake in a chipper mood every day. You may just be sleeping too much. :-)
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

If the wife is so chipper, have her execute the ole rub n tug. I'm betting you wake up pretty happy about the day ahead.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX

Some folks are just "morning people". You seem to be living very healthy so I would not change a thing.

I am a morning person, I am wide awake and cracking jokes with the kids within a couple minutes of being awake.... My wife and kids are slow to get up... I am pretty sure they hate me in the morning... lol

I take after my mom, she was the same way. Wide awake from the moment her feet it the ground.
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #12
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Ever thought about having a sleep study done?
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #13
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Your just lazy.
And you over compensate for it.
So it takes awhile for your two brains to catch up to one another.
Do you feel the same way during deer season?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #14
R Dubya
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

I'm the same way, and have been all my life, even during deer season. I overslept today and didn't make it to the gym, that makes 8 years in a row now
R Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #15
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

When my feet hit the floor, I'm as high as I'm gonna be all day. I go downhill every hour I'm awake until bedtime.
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #16
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens county

What might help to is a schedule. Get up and go to bed the same time weekends and weekdays. They did a study and found it's called social jet lag of people sleeping in on weekends and it takes a few days to get back into the swing. Also the sleep study. Your not getting into the deep sleep you need as your waking up multiple times so your not getting fully rested. Get a sleep study may have sleep apnea or another sleep issue.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #17
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Me too man, me too.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

The exact same thing happens in my house. Wife is always up early, alert and awake. Gets straight up out of bed first thing and starts coffee, chores, feeding dogs, etc and I lay in bed until I have to get out (usually because I have to pee). I'm groggy, sleepy and it takes me a while to get my motor running. It took a long time for my wife to understand this but now she knows not to start some heavy conversation with me until I've had coffee.

The caffeine may be causing you to feel the way you do. I love energy drinks but have forced myself to quit drinking them for health reasons. Maybe just go with coffee if you can. And like Jerp said, drink a lot of water especially if you work out like you do.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Diet plays a huge roll in how we sleep, feel, and wake up with or without energy!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #20
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
If the wife is so chipper, have her execute the ole rub n tug. I'm betting you wake up pretty happy about the day ahead.
That made me LOL.

I have considered a sleep study. It just seems like a lot of trouble and I am not interested in taking medication. I do believe that I am not getting deep sleep. I very seldom dream. I'm talking maybe once every 2 months.

Deer season is really no different for me. I'm more motivated to get out of bed than I am when headed to work, but I still feel the same.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #21
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
The exact same thing happens in my house. Wife is always up early, alert and awake. Gets straight up out of bed first thing and starts coffee, chores, feeding dogs, etc and I lay in bed until I have to get out (usually because I have to pee). I'm groggy, sleepy and it takes me a while to get my motor running. It took a long time for my wife to understand this but now she knows not to start some heavy conversation with me until I've had coffee.

The caffeine may be causing you to feel the way you do. I love energy drinks but have forced myself to quit drinking them for health reasons. Maybe just go with coffee if you can. And like Jerp said, drink a lot of water especially if you work out like you do.
I wish I liked coffee. Just not enough hair on my chest yet I guess. Maybe I should try some different kinds. I do drink a lot of water but seldom before noon. It's actually a bit of a problem that I drink too much water in the evenings. I go to the gym at 430 and will drink a minimum of a liter while I am there. When I get home I will have at least 32 ozs with supper. I try to get in bed by 9 and end up getting up a couple of times to pee.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #22
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Take a big shot of Meth.
Not sure if it works or not, but gingb always seems to be in a good mood...and judging by what he posts...just assumed.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #23
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

I have about 3 extremely restful nights of sleep a year. the other days i just try to make up for quality with quantity. i try my hardest to get 8 hrs even if some are not the best hours of sleep. most mornings i feel hungover whether i drank or not.

i think i will try drinking more water right when i get up as some have suggested. i usually don't touch H2O until about lunch everyday (unless you count the water in my coffee!).

the sad thing is, i don't think rest/sleep get's any better the older you get.
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #24
deerplanter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullersboy View Post
Ever thought about having a sleep study done?
This you may have sleep apnea and not even know it. It is not always about weight I have had it all my life but until it started effecting my health I didn't do anything about it.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #25
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quit drinking caffeine. I used to drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning. I was not sleeping well and would feel groggy when I woke up, similar to what you're saying. I decided to quit drinking coffee to see if that would help. I switched to hot green tea instead. I didn't realize how addicted to caffeine I was. The first week was tough. Headaches, CRAVING coffee, etc... Every week got a little bit easier. After a month or so, I didn't crave coffee much. I also started sleeping a lot better and feeling a lot more rested. I also stopped having acid indigestion so much. Coffee is pretty acidic. I didn't realize that was the cause of the indigestion, but I guess it was.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #26
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

try a magnesium supplement or if you are in to workout supps try beyond raw anabolic sleep or cellucor p6 I think its called. I don't drink much caffeine (1-2 cups of coffee) and use a non stim pre workout but this helps me recover and sleep better
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #27
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa By God Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Take a big shot of Meth.
Not sure if it works or not, but gingb always seems to be in a good mood...and judging by what he posts...just assumed.
This made me laugh out loud......the very reason why I have this d bag blocked

sorry OP I am a morning person and a night owl at the same time so I'm not help at all
Thwackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #28
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
I have considered a sleep study. It just seems like a lot of trouble and I am not interested in taking medication.

A lot of trouble? Compared to say waking up every day for the rest of your life feeling like crap? Seems like very little trouble to possibly find out you can make it better. Either you want to or you don't.

It certainly changed my life...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #29
mrddye
Six Point

Quote:
I wish I liked coffee. Just not enough hair on my chest yet I guess. Maybe I should try some different kinds. I do drink a lot of water but seldom before noon. It's actually a bit of a problem that I drink too much water in the evenings. I go to the gym at 430 and will drink a minimum of a liter while I am there. When I get home I will have at least 32 ozs with supper. I try to get in bed by 9 and end up getting up a couple of times to pee.
Lots of good info here. I have felt your pain many mornings. I am around the same age and workout pretty regularly. I started tracking my diet to get into calorie deficits to lose weight and noticed some very interesting things. FOR ME, I really noticed that big heavy dinners, specifically with red meat, always left me feeling like hell the next morning. I loved eating them and passing out after, but every morning I would struggle to get out of bed.

Track your diet, if you don't already, and see if you can correlate some things. I know for me it was pretty obvious.
mrddye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #30
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

2 things. Both are not easy.

1) Caffiene is NOT your friend. You are high strung and caffeine compounds this. I bet if we asked your wife a few questions, she would agree.
2) Attitude. You have to change your attitude about the morning time. You have to develop a "lets see what today has for me" attitude.

I said both were not easy. But life is better when you can master these 2 items.

Good luck. Recognizing this is an issue for you will at least help you start to find ways to improve your life.
JayB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #31
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Some people just aren’t morning people.....

I’m lucky that my first obligation every day is usually around 9 or 10.

That being said, sleep difficulties are often linked to depression.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #32
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Some people just aren't morning people. I'm in that group. Once my motor is running great, but it's tough to get it started. Others just pop right up in the morning.

The main thing that helps me is dinner - eat earlier and less.

I also used to have problems when I would work out hard in the evening. Not only did it pump me up and keep me awake later into the night, it made me eat later and more.

If possible, try working out in the morning instead of the evening.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #33
ctyp3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
A lot of trouble? Compared to say waking up every day for the rest of your life feeling like crap? Seems like very little trouble to possibly find out you can make it better. Either you want to or you don't.

I'm right there with you.
ctyp3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #34
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

In college I never took a class before noon, because I couldnt wake up for it. Now I dont set an alarm, ever, and wake up in about a 30 minute window each morning, usually even on the weekends. Between my bowels and my hungry dog, I wake up just fine and it is more pleasant to me to not be woken up, but wake up.
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #35
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
This would just make me go back to sleep!

A line of blow on the bedside table should do the trick!
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #36
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

When I get home I will have at least 32 ozs with supper. I try to get in bed by 9 and end up getting up a couple of times to pee.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure we found your problem..... I am a morning person but then again I very seldom wake up in the middle of the night to pee. You will probably never be a morning person but you should sleep the the night and not feel exhausted especially with your workout routine.
RWB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #37
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:

Define changed my life. I assume you had sleep apnea, got a cpap, and now feel much better.

I may misunderstand sleep apnea but I think I would be tired/sleepy during the day. I am not. I am the happiest when I am busy. Sitting still is not for me. I never feel the need for a nap.

I do not snore or have any other symptoms of sleep apnea besides being tired when I wake up. I admittedly know little about sleep studies but I can't see them offering me much of a solution besides meds. I have zero interest in a prescription.

I feel like it all ties back to caffeine dependency for me.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #38
day0082
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dewitt county

I am not a morning person either, therefore i work swing shift and get up when im ready.
But get the sleep study, i dont think you are getting rem sleep.
day0082 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #39
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Iím a morning person so Iím not really much help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #40
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Serious Question... Do you love your Job?
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #41
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin co. /Boswell, Ok.

I'm thinking either sleep apnea or too much energy drinks during the day. A sleep study will tell you a lot. a little hint: when I scheduled my sleep study, a guy from my insurance called me and asked me a few questions. one question was: Do you fall asleep when stopped at redlights while driving? I laughed and said NO. I ended up having to pay for the sleep study. They (insurance) said my condition wasnt serious enough. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Not sleeping well really has a lot of negative effects on the body.
Hunter Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #42
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Serious Question... Do you love your Job?
I don't love it but I don't dread it. It's a great job. Like I said, I feel the same when the alarm goes off to go hunting.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #43
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

I'm no help, as I'm the definition of a morning person. My wife thinks I'm crazy as hell, as on weekends I can't sleep past 6 because I'm so excited to get my day going. I pop right out of bed in the morning on week days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #44
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Anybody have a sleep study done, who was not diagnosed with sleep apnea, that had their situation improved with a method besides pills?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #45
JHT
Pope & Young

Have a few kids.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #46
MadHatter
Ten Point

Mental, nothing more imo. If tomorrow you had to meet me at a 7k acre ranch, so I could give you the keys to the gate and a couple million $$, there would be no sluggish morning
Hypnosis would be my suggestion.
And if you were still sluggish the next morning, it's definetly mental .
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #47
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
I'm no help, as I'm the definition of a morning person. My wife thinks I'm crazy as hell, as on weekends I can't sleep past 6 because I'm so excited to get my day going. I pop right out of bed in the morning on week days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Same! I do hit the snooze once during the week but when it's time to go hunting or fishing I am normally awake waiting on the alarm to go off.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #48
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Define changed my life. I assume you had sleep apnea, got a cpap, and now feel much better.

I may misunderstand sleep apnea but I think I would be tired/sleepy during the day. I am not. I am the happiest when I am busy. Sitting still is not for me. I never feel the need for a nap.

I do not snore or have any other symptoms of sleep apnea besides being tired when I wake up. I admittedly know little about sleep studies but I can't see them offering me much of a solution besides meds. I have zero interest in a prescription.

I feel like it all ties back to caffeine dependency for me.
I functioned fine during the day as well albeit not as much energy. I was not falling asleep either. But I would feel like total DS when I woke up. I feel great as a whole when waking up these days.

BTW....never heard anybody being prescribed pills after a sleep study. I think that is a GP's doing before suggesting a sleep study.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #49
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
I functioned fine during the day as well albeit not as much energy. I was not falling asleep either. But I would feel like total DS when I woke up. I feel great as a whole when waking up these days.

BTW....never heard anybody being prescribed pills after a sleep study. I think that is a GP's doing before suggesting a sleep study.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #50
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

I am a morning person and seldom get more than 6 hours of sleep. I have been like this my whole life. I also don't use an alarm. If I need to be up at 5:30 for work I wake up at 5:15. I have also been like this my whole life, weird I know. My wife has a hard time getting up and is not much of a morning person. She snoozes the alarm several times, goes to bed early (asleep by 9:30 or 10:00 and she gets up around 6am M-F), and can be cranky until she has a cup of coffee. She found not drinking caffeine after 3pm has helped her feel more rested in the mornings and she gets up easier. We also bought a new mattress (Casper I think), our old one was awful. The combo of limiting her caffeine and the better mattress has helped her she says. That is hearsay of course, just offering her experience for reference.
stickbowcoop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top