Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome buck and neat story behind it!

Comment

He's a giant for that pasture. Congrats and hope you kill that giant typical. While both have the wow factor, that typical is in a league of his own....

Comment

What a deer!! That is an incredible journey--the time, the patience, the self-discipline to let him go so long...Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
          Awesome buck! Great job with all your prep! You worked your butt off and definitely earned it! This is just about as impressive a feat to me:

How many deer were you putting down per day when you were culling? Were you having to do a bunch of it on your own? Hunting, shooting, cleaning, and breaking down 2 deer in a day on my own wipes me out.

On the culling I would shoot a cull buck then try to take multiple does in a sit, I would rather fire 4-5 times in one window then hunt a blind 5 times taking one deer per sit. For culling I use a 7mm Rem Mag with 24x Nightforce scope and I am ready to take shots to 500 yards in order to maximize the individual hunt. The single most important part of the setup is a giant muzzlebreak, obviously a 7mm isn't gonna beat you up but a large muzzlebreak completely throws the sound off the deer are clueless as to your location so I had one sit where I shot 5 does consecutive and another that I shot 4 so yes it was work when I got back to camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

He is a beautiful buck!! Great story and write up!!

Comment

Pure awesomeness, Congrats on a deer of a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                He's a giant for that pasture. Congrats and hope you kill that giant typical. While both have the wow factor, that typical is in a league of his own....

I killed the big Typical 10 last season he was 7.5 yo he went 160", they look so big in velvet. We have a 12pt typical on the no shoot list this year that is a dreamer we call him slingblade

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernCamo View Post
                  I killed the big Typical 10 last season he was 7.5 yo he went 160", they look so big in velvet. We have a 12pt typical on the no shoot list this year that is a dreamer we call him slingblade

That's him. South Texas dream for sure. Good luck putting him in the dirt as well....

Comment

wow congrats

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      I have been fortunate enough to follow this deer for a couple years. I honestly thought Justin was crazy for not killing him last year. This is the perfect example of discipline producing great results. I hear a rumor he has a giant typical on the no shoot list right now as well. Im thinking we will get a Booner typical thread next year!

Inspired by this action, I put two giant East Tx deer on the no shoot list. Maybe the neighbors will shoot them, maybe a truck will hit them, maybe they will just go away never to be seen again. I could have killed them with a bow already this year... at least I wont be looking at them on the wall wondering what they could have been if I hadnt shot. A conversation with Justin confirmed this was the right move.

Thank you so much for sharing this story with TBH. You and the deer deserve it.

Steve Barclay

Let it be known to all men that I owe much credit to GarGuy if for no other reason that the fact that I killed Ganchos as he stood over a 100lb pile of throw corn coated in vanilla mix.

Comment

Let it be known to all men that I owe much credit to GarGuy if for no other reason that the fact that I killed Ganchos as he stood over a 100lb pile of throw corn coated in vanilla mix.

Lol, wait until the christoval area naysayers arrive. That didn't happen even if you videoed it......

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                          That's him. South Texas dream for sure. Good luck putting him in the dirt as well....

I am in his range but give equal advantage on him to the guys across the fence and the Guys next to me in the pearflat. If that deer makes it to December next year those odds even out.

Comment

Congratulations to you! I thoroughly enjoyed the read and pictures. Having history with a deer is so special to me and it makes the hunt and memories made so much more rewarding.

In this case, it's especially amazing because the deer was a true giant and you pushed for greatness and was rewarded. Even to guys that routinely hunt better than average deer, I believe your story is inspiring and a reminder that "while who knows what might happen"...if I kill it this year at really good, it will never be truly great!

Congratulations again on the success. The story, pictures, and reminding inspiration was great.

Comment

On the culling I would shoot a cull buck then try to take multiple does in a sit, I would rather fire 4-5 times in one window then hunt a blind 5 times taking one deer per sit. For culling I use a 7mm Rem Mag with 24x Nightforce scope and I am ready to take shots to 500 yards in order to maximize the individual hunt. The single most important part of the setup is a giant muzzlebreak, obviously a 7mm isn't gonna beat you up but a large muzzlebreak completely throws the sound off the deer are clueless as to your location so I had one sit where I shot 5 does consecutive and another that I shot 4 so yes it was work when I got back to camp.
                              Man you have your system down! Planning the work and working the plan, from the beginning to bagging Ganchos! No slacking! I admire your efforts and proficiency!

I'm assuming you guys have a walk-in cooler so that you can just gut/hang or gut/skin/hang for awhile and break down later. If you're having to get 4-5 deer into ice chests asap after shooting, that's double tough.

Comment

Beautiful all the way around. You are truly blessed.

Comment

Working...
                                X