Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late Season Connection

A little backstory.....long winded.

I was given an opportunity to hunt small ranch out near Llano 7 years ago to help with a hog problem. Both land owners do not hunt and the ranch is their quiet get away from the hustle of day to day life in Austin. So after 5 years of ownership, things were getting out of hand and the pigs were not just rooting in the pastures, but were starting to do some damage near the homestead. For a solid 2 years, me and another friend started piling up pigs every wknd we hunted. I mentioned the whitetail herd one day to the LO and if they had anyone or had an interest in it being managed. They thought it couldn't hurt and so I put together a management strategy and we moved forward on securing hunting rights. Like most plans, its starts with figuring out what direction we were taking on management. I decided to follow the QDMA study on culling age, supplement with protein in the offseason and work on BD ratios.

When I started, there was a deer herd that I estimated around 75 deer on 250 HF acres with a buck to doe ratio of 3:1. I was looking to be closer to the 8-10 acres per deer and a BD ratio of 1:1. After 5 years of management, I finally decided it was time to harvest a few big bucks. The wife connected first on a beautiful 11 point and the other guy I’m on the ranch with got a nice 9 point. With them both now in the books, I focused my attention on 2 deer. Kershaw an 8 year old 10 pt with both his G2’s bladed and Big Boy, a healthy 8 year old main frame 12 pt with a few extra kickers. There was only one opportunity for a shot on BB so far this season and that came while sitting with the wife one evening. He was in a position that the wife was unable to take a shot and I was NOT breaking my vow to get her a deer before I shot. Even though he was standing inside of 30 yards wanting my arrow….teasing me….mocking me…….ANYWAYS. After a few wknds of not seeing BB, I felt Kershaw was ready. The morning was near 32 deg with fog and very little wind if any at all. The usual suspects arrived and so did Kershaw. Typically he would be the first one there and last to leave, but I swear THEY KNOW when you are planning to shoot. He skirted the area and kept his distance. When he did come in to the corn it was brief and followed by a quick turn and walking away. 4 of these trips and I came to draw with 6 doe no more than 12 yards away. I am not sure if it was the humidity or just my luck, but as I drew back my arrow it sounded like nails on a chalk board. Guess where those 6 doe were looking now! Slowly, I finished my draw and found Kershaw. He was making his turn to walk away from the feeder like he had previously done. I set my pin as he cleared my 30 yard rock and let it fly. You don’t mark your yardage for quick judgement? It connected on a quartering away shot at 32 yards. It entered between the last 2 ribs on his left side and exited just behind the right shoulder. He ran 60 yards and piled up. This was my first deer with Triax after having it for a year and some change. Last year I spent each hunt with the wife shooting my 30-30. The arrow was the Easton Axis 5mm tipped with a 100 Gr Swhacker 2 blade.

Feels good to be able to sit back and see some great deer take shape over the last few years. The management strategy being something I implemented makes the photos, the sits, the memories just that much sweeter. The best thing about it….happy land owners. Something hunters fight with on a regular basis.

Kershaw – 10 Pt grossed 133” and netting 128 5/8”. My biggest deer to date.

Last of the Bowhicans

Last edited by Bowhica; 12-28-2019, 09:39 PM.

Beautiful buck, congrats

Comment

Great write up brother, glad Jen got a good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

cool grip on the bow

Comment

Awesome buck! Congrats brotha!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Nice buck! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
                cool grip on the bow

Comment

Congrats Bowhica, that's a fine buck. You dedicated.

Comment

Awesome buck and thanks for the story,👍.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Great story and buck! Congratulations

Comment

Congrats! Y'all are having a great year!

Comment

That’s a great deer congrats! That bow looks awesome.

Comment

Good stuff! Congrats on a great buck...love the bladed G2. Some awesome pics too!

Comment

Working...
                              X