Bow Quiver Counter Balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Quiver Counter Balance

Lately I have been tinkering around with counter balancing my bow quiver.

It dawned on me, that I better check the rules of the different competition venues I might shoot in before I showed up at a shoot with the bow rigged with the counter balance.

After looking through the rules for IBO, ASA, and TBoT, I found the only one to prohibit it in the class I would prefer to shoot in is the IBO. Specifically the IBO Recurve (REC) class.

ASA allows up to a 12" stabilizer.
    TBoT makes no mention (at all) one way, or the other about stabilizers, or weights.

There are no IBO shoots anywhere in my neck of the woods, so I guess I'm good to go for ASA, and TBoT with my little side mounted stubby stab.

Rick

Can you use it as a mechanical sighting aid? 🤣[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Can you use it as a mechanical sighting aid? 🤣[emoji23]

No, but it would probably be a pretty good visual mapping for a 150 yard shot.

Rick

Comment

I am not sure but I think that tbot considers stabilizers as "other mechanical devices". Seems I had heard that, so you might want to double check

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
          I am not sure but I think that tbot considers stabilizers as "other mechanical devices". Seems I had heard that, so you might want to double check
          As far as the written rule of TBoT are concerned:

It is bolted to the bow, and does not move once so. Compliance

The bow is all one solid piece once put together. Compliance

It has no moving parts, therefore is not mechanical. Compliance

There are no mentions of weights, and/or stabilizers anywhere in the written rules. Compliance

If I show up at a shoot, and someone wants to protest it, I'll smile & take my DQ (if there is one) with pride in knowing - I did not break any written rules.

Rick

Comment

Got the weight nailed down, and did some shooting.

My Gaps, and Sting walking for distances all remained the same.
            My arrows are now shooting weak about 2" at 20 yards, and 12" at 40 yards.

I expected just the opposite on the tune, but happy the way it turned out. A tiny bit of center shot tweaking will get me dead on again.

This is a 3" solid steel stubby stabilizer.
            I used a long bolt, and limb bolt bezels to adjust the weight.
            No clue as to the weight of any of it. I just mixed, and matched until I got it where I wanted it.

I'll be covering it with leather matching the quiver hood sometime soon.

As you can see, the balance is almost perfect with one arrow removed from the quiver, but it's darn close without removing the arrow, and I can tell zero difference in the shooting of it arrow in, or arrow out.

Rick
            Attached Files

Comment

Cool, I was just passing along what I was told when I asked tbot about stabilizers awhile back, cause I read and interpreted the rules the same as you, but they disagreed.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                Cool, I was just passing along what I was told when I asked tbot about stabilizers awhile back, cause I read and interpreted the rules the same as you, but they disagreed.
                As you may have noticed - I love keeping folks on their toes.

As their rule are written, there is nothing to keep someone from using a stabilizer, and still be "well within" those rules.

An unwritten rule technically is an unenforceable rule, and as I've stated before: an unenforceable rule technically isn't a rule at all.

If they want to make sure they aren't used, and not have some sort of stink come up about it, then they need to "write it" as such "into" their rules.

I would have zero problem with that. Just pointing out the open door.

Rick

Comment

Dang! You are the McGyver of trad archery!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hey Rick! Looks great, any ideas why it impacted your left/right tune so much?

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                      Hey Rick! Looks great, any ideas why it impacted your left/right tune so much?
                      Thanks.

I would imagine the quiver was causing some unnoticed shot torque, that I tuned to.

Now the torque is gone, so I don't need the tune to bypass it.

Even then, I'm not really sure, because as near as I could tell, the bow shot the same with, or without the quiver.

Time will likely reveal.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        Dang! You are the McGyver of trad archery!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Thanks, but it's not an original idea.

I wish.

Comment

Neither is Mcgyver.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                            Thanks.

I would imagine the quiver was causing some unnoticed shot torque, that I tuned to.

Now the torque is gone, so I don't need the tune to bypass it.

Even then, I'm not really sure, because as near as I could tell, the bow shot the same with, or without the quiver.

Time will likely reveal.

Rick
                            When you say you "tuned to", I'm thinking you mean subconsciously, perhaps through slight grip pressure adjustment hold. Correct? So, now you'll just shoot enough to get the tweak back to square in your brain and grip?

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                              When you say you "tuned to", I'm thinking you mean subconsciously, perhaps through slight grip pressure adjustment hold. Correct? So, now you'll just shoot enough to get the tweak back to square in your brain and grip?
                              No. I meant my original tune was probably compensating for something the bow was doing, and the bow is no longer doing it, so some slight retune is needed.

(Maybe)

I won't start moving things until I have shot it quite a bit, because it could turn out to be as you point to. Just a different feel, that I need to get used to, and my head wrapped around to get things lined back out.

Like I said in an earlier post. Time will tell.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X