Trump to announce his USSC nominee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
    Yeah, wasn't he the fore runner on calling the ACA penalty a "tax"?
    Not that I am for the ACA by any stretch but what else do you call a payment mandated by the US Govt from private citizens? Defacto/Dejure

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
      Not that I am for the ACA by any stretch but what else do you call a payment mandated by the US Govt from private citizens? Defacto/Dejure

When it is essentially punishment for not following orders, a penalty/punishment.

Comment

Sure. But by calling it a tax, which it was, then made it “constitutional” in the eyes of the supreme court.

I’m not fully on board with this guy yet. Hes better than anyone killary would have appointed. But some of his decisions have me scratching my head. He was a clerk under Kennedy, the man who helped legalize gay unions (i wont call them marriages), who authored the opinion on obamacare and sided on the wrong side of roe v wade. How can you work for Kennedy, a flip flopper and claim to not “write law but interpret the law and constitution as written”?
        Until he proves me wrong, i will watch him out the corner of my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody know what his 2nd amendment views are?

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
            Anybody know what his 2nd amendment views are?
            He is a strict originalist.

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
              I am ****** at myself for ever voting for McCain....

Was a big mistake
              I voted for McCain against Obama thinking at least he wasn't Obama.... but isn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                Sure. But by calling it a tax, which it was, then made it “constitutional” in the eyes of the supreme court.

I’m not fully on board with this guy yet. Hes better than anyone killary would have appointed. But some of his decisions have me scratching my head. He was a clerk under Kennedy, the man who helped legalize gay unions (i wont call them marriages), who authored the opinion on obamacare and sided on the wrong side of roe v wade. How can you work for Kennedy, a flip flopper and claim to not “write law but interpret the law and constitution as written”?
                Until he proves me wrong, i will watch him out the corner of my eye.

He doesn’t seem to have as conservative a track record as I had hoped.
                Last edited by SolocamShooter; 07-10-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

It is fun to watch the collective angst of the liberals after (and before) this announcement. It is going to be fun the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                    I voted for McCain against Obama thinking at least he wasn't Obama.... but isn't he?
                    Honestly, the amount of wars that McCain would of gotten us into Obama maybe just maybe might of been the better choice (just threw up a little there). Two poisons and you must drink one; but which is worse?

Comment

Honestly, the amount of wars that McCain would of gotten us into Obama maybe just maybe might of been the better choice (just threw up a little there). Two poisons and you must drink one; but which is worse?
                      Haha - screen shotting this !!

Comment

Honestly, the amount of wars that McCain would of gotten us into, Obama was the better choice.
                        Does this look better?

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                          Does this look better?
                          Its all dependent on how bad McCain would of been. We will never know but I think we have more insight now than back then. I honestly don't know which one would of been worse since one never happened. I imagine war with Syria and Iran would of been added to Iraq and ********istan for starters. Then there is Libya; another obvious one. What Obama did can be undone as it is being undone before our eyes. War with the entire Middle East we would never recover from even if we whipped them.

Comment

Good stuff here guys!
                            Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                            I remember how the never Trump'ers said Trump was really a closet liberal and not to vote for him. Two conservative nominations appointed by Trump, awesomeness. "A judge must interpermt the law, not make the law.

I think Sotomayor will be the next one to be replaced. She was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 11 and is now already past her life expectancy.
                            Exactly!!! That works for anyone that is NOT a one issue voter and has a grasp of how the constitution works! That solves all issues in my mind.
                            Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            Solid choice! I have followed his career on the DC court of appeals and read a few of his opinions. He is a no nonsense originalist. He will get dogpiled and about abortion because he is catholic. The only abortion ruling he commented on that I know of was in a dissenting opinion where he argued that the majority had created - out of thin air - a right for an illegal immigrant to get a government funded abortion
                            I have seen folks on here say some awful things about the Catholic faith I wondered how that would play across the fruited plains. I hope we are not still stuck on stupid when it comes to Catholics?
                            Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                            I went though 3 pages of google search results and never found anything stating he is a bad person or Judge. Maybe google tailors the results you get based on your search history.

As far as his ruling regarding an illegal's right to an immediate abortion, that is his most recent important opinion. That should be fair game. However, he didn't opine against her because she was illegal or because she wanted and abortion, his opinion was that the government didn't have a duty to facilitate an abortion on behalf of an individual in custody. Thats a fair point. He wrote that if an abortion were desired, the Trump administration could not be compelled to facilitate it and that it would be more appropriate that should be released to a guardian that would take her to have the abortion.

Ultimately, the majority of the court did not agree with him but his opinion wasn't controversial in anyway
                            Thanks for the strong clarification and well made point! I would also agree about his decision if that is fact.
                            Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                            There are some people who think that his opinion formed the basis for Roberts opinion upholding the constitutionality of the ACA.

Its bull****. If you are a conservative you are happy with this pick.

If you are a liberal you are not happy, but realize it could have been much worse.

If you are fringe right or left you believe this pick is a sign of the end times.
                            Booyah!!!! This single line can be used for some many debates on TBH it is an "INSTANT CLASSIC" in my opionion sir!!! Thanks, I needed that today!!!
                            Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            I agree dukfvr & Heard he clerked under Kennedy...the left is about to alienate the centrists even further with the circus starting tomorrow. I doubt they have any clue to the continued self destruction. They should be grateful really of the 4.

Cannot state how ecstatic it is to not be on the left side of this coin...the thought of clinton making these appointments makes me cringe!! It's a good day.

I'm sure the opposition has the drizzles.
                            …...and that is a GOOD thing in my observation! Folks that are not hard left or right really need to understand that these folks are truly out-of-bounds!!!
                            Originally posted by bloodstick View Post

Until he proves me wrong, i will watch him out the corner of my eye

I agree with keeping an eye on him, but not the clerking part. Being chosen to CLERK for a supreme court judge is HUGE! It sets the standard for your entire career as a lawyer, it does not mean you are LEFT or RIGHT on issues. It is a tremendous honor to even be considered for ANY slot on that level and the chances of even being in that hunt is incredibly minimal. Truly 1 in a million odds! As a newly minted lawyer I doubt anyone would pass on that opportunity to be in the Superbowl.

Comment

If this pick has liberals so mad and upset and willing to do anything to stop his confirmation, it has to be a good choice for anyone on the right side of the middle!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                If this pick has liberals so mad and upset and willing to do anything to stop his confirmation, it has to be a good choice for anyone on the right side of the middle!

The Rhinos of McCain and Heitcamp came out in support of him. That makes me wonder.
                                I just hope he is a true conservative constitutionalist.
                                Heard on the radio today that Clarence Thomas is pondering retirement soon as well

Comment

Working...
                                X