• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter protein feeder for East Texas?

I am considering trying to introduce the deer around the house to protein

Looking for suggestions on a feeder

Needs to be
    1)economical -- don't want to be out a bunch of money if I can't get them interested
    2) decent quality -- don't want it to fall apart but does not have to be grizzly resistant either
    3) obtainable -- if you have something that fits the above but the nearest place to get one is San Antonio then that is a deal breaker

Not opposed to building my own out of a 55gal drum if you have a suggestion for a head either

Academy has he heads at a reasonable price.

Comment

Texas Hunter makes one out of a fifty gallon drum. They might just sell you the plastic insert and you can cut the holes out and try it out. I have two and I can tell you that you are gonna fatten the coons if you don't modify it. They have three legs on them ( coon ladders ) but I'm gonna mount both mine on a pipe pedestal and cement them in the ground. I think that will render them coon proof. BTW, I have tried shark teeth and pvc pipe and it just slowed 'em down a little.

Comment

Texas hunter products and boss buck feeders work very well. The deer eat out of them no problem.

I think they are both around $200-300 for the 300 lb version. Both are stand and fill.

Comment

Thought crossed my mind to maybe use a covered trough type feeder (usually put minerals in them for cows)
          I know coons will wear me out but would they find it easier or no difference

Drycreek there was a feeder on a pipe on a lease we had, said "pig proof" in weld bead

Comment

I have a Big A 600 pound corn feeder from academy which can be made free choice with a spout the sell. It holds about 500 pounds of protein. You'll be out the door for about $350. They're a good feeder but I can see after three years the ladder is a weak link and will be replaced in a year or two from rust.

I'm thinking of adding a second and will likely get a Krivoman.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              Thought crossed my mind to maybe use a covered trough type feeder (usually put minerals in them for cows)
              I know coons will wear me out but would they find it easier or no difference

Drycreek there was a feeder on a pipe on a lease we had, said "pig proof" in weld bead
              We have a bunch of trough type feeders on a place in Trinity county, and you're right, the coons get most of it.

Comment

At the house I use a red neck T post feeder. Only holds around 50 pounds of protein but since it is at the house I can fill it when needed which is usually 3-5 days. I found the one I have at a brookshire brothers store on sale for 59.00. Think they are usually 99.00 at most places. Just drive a 6.5' t post in the ground at it has a bracket you slide the feeder on the post and tighten the bracket. Deer picked up on it pretty quick and wear it out now.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                  At the house I use a red neck T post feeder. Only holds around 50 pounds of protein but since it is at the house I can fill it when needed which is usually 3-5 days. I found the one I have at a brookshire brothers store on sale for 59.00. Think they are usually 99.00 at most places. Just drive a 6.5' t post in the ground at it has a bracket you slide the feeder on the post and tighten the bracket. Deer picked up on it pretty quick and wear it out now.
                  Now this has potential and if they like the protein then I can move up to a XXL one I will not have to fill all the time

Comment

Was gonna post this until I read it. You can make a good protein test feeder out of a t-post and some pvc pipe. If you notice bucks hammering it, then go invest in a feeder that holds more.

Comment

I have three of those and love em. Does not take long for the deer to find them either. 40" to the bottom of the feeder spout to ground has worked well. They hold from 75-80#

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        Academy has he heads at a reasonable price.
                        This is what I used. Note though that it is designed for converting their feeders to be protein feeders so it doesn't fit perfectly to a 55 gallon drum. I fixed that problem with a large rubber toilet gasket. Slap some leg brackets and pipe on them and they're good to go. Cheapest way to get into a large protein feeder

But you might also consider the pvc feeder suggestion to start. It is super cheap and easy.

LWD

Comment

Working...
                        X