AR Guys - 6.5 Creedmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR Guys - 6.5 Creedmore

What would be my best option for a AR in 6.5 Creedmore? I already have an Armalite AR10 in .308, but I despise how heavy it is. Would this lower be something I could use and find someone to build an upper?

It's not gonna be any lighter than the .308

If it's too heavy, go with a bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post

If it's too heavy, go with a bolt.
      My .308 is a 24” bull barrel, huge mistake on my part, so the 6.5 CM will be much lighter! Thinking either 18” or 20” max with a standard barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
        My .308 is a 24” bull barrel, huge mistake on my part, so the 6.5 CM will be much lighter! Thinking either 18” or 20” max with a standard barrel.
        Ahh...yes. Imma 308 fan, so I prolly keep the caliber and go with a standard barrel. Good luck in your search

Comment

Do both, swap uppers and bolt carriers. Upper builds are not hard diy.

Comment

grendel

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
              grendel

I love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did similar in the last year and it was not what I planned.

A while back, and still occasionally, Palmetto State Armory runs a deal on their complete 6.5 CM uppers for about $400. I bought one thinking that it would pin up to my DPMS LAR-10 lower...WRONG. It was close but different. I talked to a local gunsmith and searched the web to find that large platform AR weapons are not built off the same military specs from one manufacturer to another like the AR-15 systems are. I wound up having to buy a complete lower from PSA (I did not want to build out one from stripped).

Fast forward to whenever I started breaking it in. I cleaned and lubricated the gun but had issues. The third round fired but would not eject from the chamber. HD to have a gunsmith remove the case and it was bent and scarred. He looked at the first two brass and could tell that the chamber needed a good bit of polishing but said I could continue breaking in the barrel if the cases would eject. Reluctantly I fired another round and it did not blow up in my face and the case ejected. The. It started to stove pipe rounds from the magazine. I think that the rough chamber was not releasing the spent case quickly enough so that when the bolt picked up the fresh round from the magazine they were both still inside the weapon.

I took it in to the gunsmith and he still has it. If he gets it cycling well then I guess I will put a drop in trigger in it since the stock one is quite stiff.

If I had to do it again I would either build an upper for my DPMS or grab one of the new Savage Hunter models that just came out. These are supposed to be about 8 pounds in the 6.5 CM AR.

Good luck,
                Tim

Added:
                Was hoping to be hunting with it this morning but used the trusty old Ruger 77 that's actually older than me. Got it done before 8 too.
                Last edited by timoub007; 11-03-2018, 08:06 AM. Reason: Added below name

Comment

That story is exactly what i was afraid of. I should probably sell my Armalite and start from scratch.

Comment

Get a Seekins SP10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It isn’t that heavy and will shoot well. Buy once Cry once. Or go all out. GAP 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                      What would be my best option for a AR in 6.5 Creedmore? I already have an Armalite AR10 in .308, but I despise how heavy it is. Would this lower be something I could use and find someone to build an upper?
                      OP as some people have eluded to here there is no interchangeability in the "big AR platform" rifles because there is no blueprint that everyone copies like the 223 AR platform.

You would be better off buying a whole rifle from one manufacturer than parting one together. If you don't like the Armalite, sell it and put that towards a LaRue or any other company you fancy.

I have experience with both LaRue and GA precision big AR platforms. The LaRue is a tad bit more accurate but both shoot sub MOA depending on the shooter. Hope this helps in your decision but........

A mountain type bolt gun in 65CM with a 18inch barrel would be pretty sexy if I do say so myself and you would be able to get all the specs you want (light, short, etc) and only lose semi auto rate of fire.

Comment

Originally posted by aac_shooter View Post
                        Get a Seekins SP10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It isn’t that heavy and will shoot well. Buy once Cry once. Or go all out. GAP 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots!
                        How much would these set you back?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post

unless you go with a carbon fiber build like Christensen Arms.

Comment

That savage mentioned earlier sounds interesting.

I’ve got my Armalite 10 at 9.7# including scope and mount. That’s with a 16” barrel and 15” free float hand guard though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just buy you another upper... Just make sure it's an Armalite upper and not Dpms style and youll be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X