Lee Ranch Bowhunting Review - Great Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee Ranch Bowhunting Review - Great Trip

This is my first review of a hunting trip/review that I have written about on the "Green Screen", so I apologize in advance for any issues I may have posting pictures.

I hunted at Lee Ranch Bowhunting from Sunday December 8th to Wednesday December 11th, using up some last minute vacation I still had on the books for 2013. I was referred to Lee Ranch by Quatro B, and found out later that the owner of Lee Ranch is actually Doug's brother. I could not find many reviews for the place on the GS, but their website looked solid and I didn't have many choices due to booking so late.

Upon arriving at the ranch, I was met by the owner, Ray, and the guide/ranch manager, Ronnie. Both were very welcoming and friendly, and after a long discussion regarding game on the ranch, rules, hunting stories, etc, they helped me unload my gear took me for a tour around the 700 acre ranch. We saw plenty of game on our tour, and by the time it was wrapped up, I was itching to get into the stand.

I chose the Safari Package, which was a 4-day package including two pigs, an exotic, and a ram. Mostly only hunting whitetails and hogs in the SE part of the country growing up, I had never arrowed an exotic or a ram, so my strategy was to not let anything walk on the first day that I would be happy with on the last.

Below is a quick summary by day of what I saw and what I was fortunate enough to take.

Sunday:
    Saw: Mature blackbuck, herd of roughly 12 aoudad, pigs, whitetail
    Harvested: Aoudad Ram from tree stand

Monday:
    Saw: Mature blackbuck, large Fallow buck and doe, pigs, mouflon, whitetail
    Harvested: Nothing

Tuesday: (re-upped on a 2-day exotic package)
    Saw: Mature blackbuck, aoudad rams, 2 large fallow bucks, mouflon, texas dall, corsican, whitetail
    Harvested: Stalked a corsican ram

Wednesday:
    Saw: Axis buck in velvet, whitetail, mouflon, sika, aoudad, blackbuck
    Harvested: Finally had a shot opportunity on a mature blackbuck

Thursday: SLEPT IN!

The ranch had not had any paying hunters there in several months, and the cold weather coupled with the low pressure had the game moving well. I had several shot opportunities on aoudad, mouflon, whitetail, pigs, and fallow, but the blackbuck and axis were proving much tougher to bag. Blackbuck was #1 on my list, so needless to say, I was pumped when I finally got a shot opportunity on Wednesday midday (12:30).

Ronnie was great company all week, and did his best to lead me in the direction that he thought I would have the best chance at taking something. I will definitely be back to the ranch, and would recommend it to any of you looking for another good exotic bowhunting venue.

Thanks for reading.

Here are a few pics of the ranch and the game:
    Attached Files

Sounds like a good trip. Congrats on the kills.

Comment

Great write-up and a big congratulations !

Comment

What was the size of the whitetail bucks?

Comment

Thanks guys. The largest whitetail bucks I saw were probably in the 130" - 140" range.

Comment

Nice animals bud! I may have to make a trip down there! How does aoudad taste? They worth eating?

Comment

Congrats!! Looks awesome

Comment

I've heard the smaller ones can be pretty good. I'm cooking the blackbuck backstraps tonight, and am going to cook up the aoudad straps next week.

Comment

Congrats on the kills!!!

Comment

Lee Ranch is a great place. Went there last January with my son. Congrats on the kills

Comment

Sounds like a great time. Looked up the Ranch and had to save it to my fav's. Thanks for the review and congrats on the hunt

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats on the nice kills. Thanks for the report. Sounds good.

Comment

That looks like a hunt that I would like to do.

Good work!

Comment

Congrats. Thanks for the write up.

Comment

Working...
                              X