Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discount Tire - side tread nail

2015 Chevy 2500 with Nitto Terra Grapplers LT295/60/R20

Went to the Discount Tire in New Braunfels to fix the nail I acquired (ha ha) and do a rotation. They said this location is out of the "repair area" so they have to replace the tire.

It was "pro-rated" but in the end bought a new tire from them for $216.00. Do y'all think this is fair?

Tread left was measured at 8/32 with 112K miles and bought them at 80K miles and full tread is 16/32. So more than 1/2 way through tread in 30K miles that's disappointing.

Anyone have this type of experience?

I think I picked this nail up helping after Harvey so it's worth it.

Original receipt
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3565.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	25126656

Nail

Name:	IMG_3566.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	25126657

Truck

Name:	IMG_3704.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	25126658

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They wouldn't repair tires with plugs in them earlier this year for me. Granted, I was wanting to replace the tires anyways. They told me the plugs were to big on one tire. I laughed and told them to look at the other 3. Pretty sure if it is in the sidewall, they won't repair it.

Comment

Id be unhappy with the situation. I have the same tires hopefully i have better luck.

Comment

They won't fix a sidewall hole. Take the prorate or take it to an "EZ" tires shop.....they'll risk your safety for 20 bucks any day

Comment

Always had good luck with discount replacing tires at fair value. But they instantly want to replace basically all tires. If I am needing one just fixed I will take them to a local guy and he will patch them for $10

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
            Always had good luck with discount replacing tires at fair value. But they instantly want to replace basically all tires. If I am needing one just fixed I will take them to a local guy and he will patch them for $10

Yeah, I didn't think about that. That would have been a good option. Because now I have one tire with new tread and your suggestion would have kept the wear even.

Comment

Discount Tire - side tread nail

So let me give y'all a tip I discovered on my own. I used Nitto Grappler 33's on my F350 single wheel base truck for years. Had to replace them every 25000 miles. It's a heavy truck and I pull heavy trailers. I switched to the new Toyo RT in a 33. Game changer. I'm well over 30,000 miles on them and they may be 1/3rd worn. I still can't believe it myself. They even come with a 50,000 mile tread guarantee. Great on and off road. Check em out. It's all I'll run from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Did you buy road hazard?

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  Did you buy road hazard?

Not listed on the receipt so I think any money at all off is a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                    Not listed on the receipt so I think any money at all off is a deal.
                    We bought my daughter a used car. It had tires bought from Discount tire on it. The previous owner had bought road hazard coverage. She hit something and cut a tire. They gave her a $180 tire no questions asked. It cost her $30 to get road hazard for new tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie_bowtech View Post
                      2015 Chevy 2500 with Nitto Terra Grapplers LT295/60/R20

Went to the Discount Tire in New Braunfels to fix the nail I acquired (ha ha) and do a rotation. They said this location is out of the "repair area" so they have to replace the tire.

It was "pro-rated" but in the end bought a new tire from them for $216.00. Do y'all think this is fair?

Tread left was measured at 8/32 with 112K miles and bought them at 80K miles and full tread is 16/32. So more than 1/2 way through tread in 30K miles that's disappointing.

Anyone have this type of experience?

I think I picked this nail up helping after Harvey so it's worth it.

Original receipt
                      [ATTACH]872920[/ATTACH]

Nail
                      [ATTACH]872921[/ATTACH]

Truck
                      [ATTACH]872922[/ATTACH]

I think they did you right. Unless those tires have the mileage guarantee, your complaint about how many miles you've gotten on them is meaningless. I'm pretty sure their road hazard warranty, if you even purchased it, does not include sidewall damage. Reading is fundamental.

Comment

I didn't purchase the road hazard. However, I am happy with the outcome of this trip and new tire price. Only concern I have is one brand new tire and other three with 30K

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                          I think they did you right. Unless those tires have the mileage guarantee, your complaint about how many miles you've gotten on them is meaningless. I'm pretty sure their road hazard warranty, if you even purchased it, does not include sidewall damage. Reading is fundamental.

Totally not complaining or upset. Disappointed with the tire performance. Not disappointed with DT or their policies at all.

Comment

I would have brought it home and put a plug in it. Probably get another 30k out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I would have plugged it and drove for another 50,000 miles

Comment

Working...
                              X