Aoudad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad

My wife and i will be heading to Medina next week to hunt Aoudad for our honeymoon, im a chef and specialize in wild game but never worked with Aoudad before. What all can you do with the meat? Is it gamey mike ram meat?

never tried it or killed one (hopefully in may) but never heard a good thing about Aoudad meat.

Comment

Never killed one, but ate some one time, and it was nasty.

Comment

I have heard that the ewes are good and so are the younger rams, but they old matures rams are pretty harsh. Pretty much like anything. Don't be frightened by people who say that they are tough and awful, that is not the case. You really can do just about anything with them but a classic, of course, is back stap medalions with four and oil.

Comment

We have tried all sizes, ages, sexes, and ways to cook them and they are not edible. They are just very rank tasting.

Comment

Dont even try it, it's gross!!!

Comment

Its not very good...But they are really cool looking animals. Get a big one!

Comment

Ewes are fine. Rams use the pine board method. Cook meat on pine board for 6 hrs then throw away the meat and eat the board.

Comment

Maybe coming off a game ranch where they are fed protein and corn a ewe or young ram might be edible. I've not ever killed one behind a high fence, so I don't know. I've killed a few free range aoudad in the canyons of the Panhandle, and I've eaten....er....tried to eat many of all ages, sizes and sexes. At best (ewes), it's pretty gamey and tough. Rams aren't worth fooling with at all, IMO. Like really bad-tasting boot leather.

A protein-fed aoudad prepared by a chef that specializes in wild game might not be so bad. It would be worth a try. Don't sell it to your customers until you taste it yourself though!

Comment

The ewe I shot was decent not something I would serve my friends. The ram I shot was absolutely awful!!

Comment

We hunt on the border across from a tiny town of 30ish folks that do not have water or electricity. They live in huts with dirt floors.
                      They will take the liver and heart - the rest is fed to their dogs...

That should tell the story....

Comment

My wife tried to pan fry some backstrap from mine in her favorite iron skillet. she was going to smother it and make a gravy and roast. It stunk so bad she threw it out in the back yard to get it out of the house no sooner than it started to sizzle in the skillet. After that time, every time that skillet got hot, it stunk just like the meat had. She finally threw the skillet away. Far as I am concerned the stuff is inedible. We couldh't even eat the sausage we had made with it. My advise, is cape it out where it hits the ground and leave anything you don't want to hang on the wall lying right where it hit the ground for coyote bait. Wouldn't be surprised if the 'yotes wouldn't eat it either. They even stink when you're skinnin' 'em. I took exceptional care of the meat too. Even neck shot him so as not to mess up any meat... I'd never shoot another one. God me a nice trophy, no need to waste another one. We have them come through our ranch from time to time. I save them for someone else who does not have such a trophy...

Comment

Hows about you guys just don't shoot them

If you don't eat the things, or don't know how to properly prepare them, then leave the aoudad alone! Seriously guys the boot leather and plank jokes get old....fast!

And if I hear about one more person wasting game, I'm gonna flip!

Now.....if you guys ask nicely, you might get some help/recipies. And yes, we eat them here just fine and our steaks are tender and juicy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post

If you don't eat the things, or don't know how to properly prepare them, then leave the aoudad alone! Seriously guys the boot leather and plank jokes get old....fast!

Now.....if you guys ask nicely, you might get some help/recipies. And yes, we eat them here just fine and our steaks are tender and juicy.
                            Wow.

Sorry for setting you off. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't killed one in over 20 years for that very reason. All the ones I ever ate tasted like crap. No joke.

If you enjoy eating them, more power to you. But I'm not exaggerating or joking at all in stating my observations and opinions on what they taste like. I've had them prepared many different ways by many different cooks, and I have yet to ask for seconds. If I ever kill another one I'll ship you the meat if you want it.

It's entirely possible that the aoudad in your area eat different stuff and taste better than the ones in the Panhandle. I wouldn't know. They must.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post

TP&W wants them all dead. They carry a parisite that kills Big Horn Sheep.

Comment

Working...
                              X