No announcement yet.

Serious accident while hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid, my job was to sharpen the filet knives after cleaning a mess of kingfish. I did such a great job, as I went to put it in the sheath, it went through it like butter, also went into the base of my thumb and out again at the base out the thumbnail. Never felt it till I saw it and then freaked out. Oh wait, that’s not a hunting story. Never mind

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      I ran out of propane for my blind heater...
      Lol

Comment

two concussions in one year. first one was in a hurry to get to the blind, had hush hide on and the seats of polaris had just been armouralled. turn sharp corner going about 20 mph and huge bull right in front of me. cut hard and threw myself out the passengers side, landed on my rifle and busted it in multiple pieces. bolt broke a rib and i was out cold for a period of time. came to and bull was about a foot from my face breathing on me...

fast forward to closing weekend, hopped out of the high rack on back of jeep and catch the hammer loop of my pants on the little steps that are basically like steps you screw into a tree. immediately flips me upside down and right when im pointing 180 degrees in the wrong direction, hammer loops rips off and drops me on the back of my head/neck. out cold again. just lucky that my head wasn't pointing straight down on that occasion or that one couldve been really ugly.

Comment

Recently took a #7 shot pellet to the temple. Had to have it taken out at the hospital because it was embedded to deep.

Comment

2012, I was on a horseback elk hunt in the San Juans in Colorado. Second morning of the hunt we were riding in before daylight. Something spooked my horse and he started bucking. I lasted about 4 jumps and went over his head. I landed about 10 feet below the trail, flat on my back. It didn't help that I was wearing a backpack. The guide helped me get back on my horse and I hunted the rest of the day.

Next morning I had to be helped out of my cot. I decided to stay in camp, and as the morning wore on the pain got worse, the Tylenol wasn't helping. Since my buddy had killed an elk the first day and the outfitter was going to pack it out, we decided to cut our hunt short. I won't say that the 14 mile ride out over rough mountain trails was fun, but I survived it. That wasn't the first time I've been thrown by a horse, but at 66 yrs old I didn't bounce as good as I used to.

Comment

I've been very lucky hunting, no injuries, hope my luck holds.

Came close one evening sitting on a 5gal bucket. Hunting along the St Charles Bay shore line I kept hearing a crab boat checking his crab traps. Went off and on for 15 min then realized he only checked crab trap when I moved my feet. A 3ft rattle snake was coiled up inside my brush blind. My hearing is not as good as it use to be..smh

Comment

Had a tri pod sink in the ground and fell. On my .44 mag in a shoulder rig. Broke 3 ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                  Nevermind , found the app but can't find meat eater

Found it.. Thanks

I've been lucky. Rinella's podcast is great.
                  Last edited by salth2o; 12-08-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Hunting a antler restriction area in NYS. Falling in and out of sleep. Open eyes...see buck. Looks legal, I cock hammer on 30/30. Buck turns, no 3rd point on left side. Pull rifle back into blind. Forget to decock hammer. Fall back asleep with cocked rifle in my lap. Open eyes later...see deer. Go to raise rifle and BOOM! gun goes off in blind. Discharge was in a safe direction, but sheesh. I was lucky. My hearing still ain't right since.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                      I've been lucky. Rinella's podcast is great.
                      agree on the Meat Eater podcast. I listen to him every night. Cool stories, expierences, knowledge etc that he passes on. My favorite pod.

Comment

Dang. Seems like a majority are spills from tripods, trees watch out, please

Comment

Didn't happen to me but my uncle a couple seasons ago. Walking up an incline he tripped on a rock. Fell and hit his head. Unfortunately he passed away. Neighbors found him while driving the fenceline. It was opening wknd of rifle season.

Comment

Scary story! Back in the early 90s my dad set me up in a tripod and he went over 50 yds in a ladder stand. He climbed up, chambered a bullet and sat down. Seconds later the gun went off and the bullet hit 5' above me on the tree directly behind me. If that tripod would have been any taller no telling what would have happened. Pointed in my direction why? Lesson learned that day for sure!

Comment

was in a rifle stand on my property trying to get a quick weekday hunt in before I had to get on some conference calls. I was the owner and the only people who could hunt the property was me, my brother, and my dad. My dad had just built that stand so it had only been out there for less than 1 season. I was in my stand early one morning and was dozing off waiting on the sun to rise in about 45 min. The back door was only a 3/4 length door so had a little opening at top where you could reach in and unlatch the door. I had my head on the board behind me which was right next to that latch. About 20 min after I had gotten settled in and comfortable to wait on daylight, a hand wrapped around my throat from behind me. **** poacher was trying to slip in and hunt my stand. He was reaching in for the latch without looking or using a flashlight. Obviously he had been there before to know the general area that the latch was in. I jumped up, I'm almost 6'3" and my stand was 6'. Pretty much knocked myself out and fell down in the stand, knocked over my rifle, ribs across the arm of the chair slamming it into back wall, etc. Took me a few min before I could gather myself enough to stand up and confront the poacher. He could have easily ran off and I wouldn't have been able to chase. I was still woozy from the knocking myself silly and my ribs were hurting so I didn't want a fight with another guy who had a gun in the middle of nowhere so I walked him to where he entered the property. I was able to get a good look at his license plate and called GW as soon as he left. Told him the story and he took care of it.

Other than a headache, sore neck, and a few bruised ribs from it, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Comment

I haven't told this story in a long time - Sorry for the long read:

In 1996, on Halloween night, I was in Llano on a company dear lease with 3 other guys preparing for a company deer hunt. We were filling feeders cleaning out blinds, spraying wasps etc.

Two of the guys were driving an old 4x4 Suburban and I was driving a truck. The guys in the Suburban drove off the main road to go around a rough spot when the rear wheels dropped off into a deep but narrow wet weather creek causing the Suburban to high center the frame.
                                We decided we would use one of those hi-lift ranch jacks which had a piece of pipe welded into it for the handle to jack it up and place rocks and other debris under the rear tires to drive it out. After getting it jacked up and debris placed under the tires, I placed my left hand on the rear of the Suburban and my right hand on the jack handle and flipped the switch on the jack with my boot to lower it down. I guess my leather gloves on a metal pipe made for a slick combination because when I pushed the handle down my hand slipped completely from the jack and the weight of the Suburban flung the jack handle upward hitting me in the left jaw.

The handle left a nice gash on the left side of my chin and although I was not knocked to the ground I think I temporarily lost conciseness for a few seconds. I knew my jaw was broken because my mouth was open and the teeth on my left side were touching but the ones on my right were not. When I closed my mouth I could feel the row of lower teeth on the left move back into place so that the teeth on both sides of my mouth were now touching.

I went to the Llano ER, they took some x-rays and said they really didn’t see anything and would probably just stitch me up and send me home but wanted to get more x-rays first just to make sure. Immediately after the second x-rays the doctor came in and said he couldn’t believe they didn’t see the large spider fracture of my left mandible. They gave me two injections of Demerol and sent me to Austin to meet a maxillofacial surgeon at the ER.

I had surgery the next day and had a plate with three screws installed and had my mouth wired shut for 6 weeks. At week 12 I went in for an evaluation and I showed the surgeon how the row of left lower teeth would move together when I clenched my jaw. I had more x-rays, a second surgery to remove the plate and screws previously installed and had my mouth wired shut for 6 more weeks. At week 24 I was still not properly healed. More x-rays, 3rd surgery and a large plate that extends from the right side of my chin on around to the full length of my left mandible secured with 9 screws and my mouth wired shut for another 6 weeks. After the 3rd surgery I had to have 2 teeth pulled, 3 root canals and a bridge installed.

Now 21 years later I do not have much feeling on the left side of my chin. When asked about the scar that extends from the right side of my chin and around to my left jaw I tell people I was in knife fight defending a woman’s honor and please let me know if you ever see me with hot coffee or ice cream on my chin, I can’t feel it.

Comment

Working...
                                X