No announcement yet.

How to get rid of sticker burrs...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fertilize my pasture to choke them out. 400 pounds per acre.

Comment

Ag extension agent told me that a grassburr can lay dormant for over 10 years and then sprout when conditions are right. I believe him since I am 62 and have been fighting them in the family coastal patches in Cross Plains my entire life. Best chemical post emergent is Pastora but is kind of expensive. Burning dead grass before spring warm up helps a lot! Main thing is prepare for years of fighting them. Kind of like feral hogs. Good luck

Comment

Pastora

Comment

Product called Image will kill sand burrs. Can get it at Home Depot as a concentrate for about $20 to treat 6,000 square feet.

Comment

If you dont want to put chemicals down, corn gluten meal is another option.

Comment

When exactly do you apply the Pastora?

Comment

2-4-D for sticker burrs. Just got done spraying the back of the house yesterday. They tear up the dogs paws. 2-4-D is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  Not fast but I have been digging them up for the past 2 years. I think I have them about whipped.
                  This is the best way to do it. After about 3 years of digging them up and carefully disposing of all the plants and stickers, you'll eventually run out of them.

Comment

Apply post emergence when plant is 1-2 inches. Also after cutting the grass with new growth with a rainy day in future would work. Will kill Johnson grass and Bahia in a Bermuda pasture

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
                      Apply post emergence when plant is 1-2 inches. Also after cutting the grass with new growth with a rainy day in future would work. Will kill Johnson grass and Bahia in a Bermuda pasture
                      It will hammer Bahia! Soil temp needs to be over 65 deg F. Useless to apply AFTER burrs are formed on grass stem. Pastora is a granular product that dissolves well in a sprayer. Ask for Dr Jim at Producers Coop in Bryan in person. He has a TON of knowledge on grass

Comment

Amaze. You can get it at Renkens in Victoria!

Comment

Our place in POC is infested with them. Been digging them up around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
                            Apply post emergence when plant is 1-2 inches.
                            This is the problem. It's almost impossible to identify sandburrs in the early stages, when it's just another green grass blade mixed in with everything else.

Comment

mower with a bag...that's how I cleaned up a small patch in my St Augustine....

Comment

MSMA will do the trick but it's hard to get your hands on these days.

Other than that put out pre-emergent and hand pull everything you dont want to hit with round up.

I believe what you are referring to are sand burrs.

Comment

Working...
                                X