Hornady OAL Guage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hornady OAL Guage?

Anybody have a problem with their guage being inconsistent? I’m talking about as much as .050 difference between measurements from one to the other. It was a frustrating evening last night trying to get this right. I’m about ready to hang it up and go with the split case neck method. Was hoping this would be a game changer, but I’m not real pleased with my results.

Love mine and never have an issue. Biggest source of inconsistency is not squaring the calipers when measuring.

Comment

I get very consistent results with mine. Make sure the case is seated firmly in the chamber and then use consistent force when pressing the bullet into the lands.

Comment

The trick for me is making sure to use the same amount of force each time. That said, 50 thou is a big difference.

Comment

Never had an issue with mine....explain to us how you are using it....

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
            Never had an issue with mine....explain to us how you are using it....
            I seat the bullet in the case right about where the ogive meets the case mouth, instert into the chamber until it stops, continue holding pressure on the case and then push the bullet out until I feel it stop, then lock everything in and pull it out.

I’m really having trouble determining how much resistance is needed. Light taps don’t get it there, but I’m afraid too much force will jam it into the lands instead of just touching them. I will say when I’m pushing the bullet, I feel resistance the whole way until it just stops. Sometimes the bullet bites the lands and I have to push it out and sometimes it comes out with the Case.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
              I seat the bullet in the case right about where the ogive meets the case mouth, instert into the chamber until it stops, continue holding pressure on the case and then push the bullet out until I feel it stop, then lock everything in and pull it out.

I’m really having trouble determining how much resistance is needed. Light taps don’t get it there, but I’m afraid too much force will jam it into the lands instead of just touching them. I will say when I’m pushing the bullet, I feel resistance the whole way until it just stops. Sometimes the bullet bites the lands and I have to push it out and sometimes it comes out with the Case.
              Push the bullet in w/ the ramrod and once the bullet stops (hits rifling) tur in the set-screw....done. Pushing hard or excessive force not needed. Use that as your reference point for that particular bullet type & weight.

Comment

I push it up and it sticks in the lands 100% of the time when I pull out. If yours sometimes does, and sometimes does not......there is your 50 thou.

It is about doing the exact same thing every time. And in the end.......it is really just a starting point for your reloading depth.

Seating constancy and measurement of loaded rounds is more important.

Comment

Push the bullet in w/ the ramrod and once the bullet stops (hits rifling) tur in the set-screw....done. Pushing hard or excessive force not needed. Use that as your reference point for that particular bullet type & weight.
                  That’s the thing, it’s not a “sudden stop” it’s like it grabs and then keeps going a little more. Almost as if there is resistance in the case neck and the bullet. Who knows. I’ll mess with it some more. Just wondering if it’s just me or if others had similar experiences.

Comment

Are you using the factory hornady modified cases? Maybe the neck is a little to tight on it? I make my own and the bullet moves freely.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                      Are you using the factory hornady modified cases? Maybe the neck is a little to tight on it? I make my own and the bullet moves freely.
                      Yes, I’m using the modified case. Which is another thing I though about that is irrelevant to my current questions.. That shoulder measurement isn’t the same as my cases, so that would throw my end results off as well. May just need to tap a fired case and try that one.

Comment

Yes, I’m using the modified case. Which is another thing I though about that is irrelevant to my current questions.. That shoulder measurement isn’t the same as my cases, so that would throw my end results off as well. May just need to tap a fired case and try that one.

Mail me one of your fired cases.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          Mail me one of your fired cases.

Not to hijack the thread but can you drll and tap a fired case?

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
                            Not to hijack the thread but can you drll and tap a fired case?

If you have the proper tools yes.

If not Hornady will make it for you for a reasonable cost. Usually have to send in 3 fired cases and $15. They send you back the most consistent one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This. And if you don’t have consistent calipers or a consistent measurement you’re pissing in the wind.

Comment

Working...
                              X