Outdoor entertainment area question (s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor entertainment area question (s)

We are in the process of trying to purchase a lake house on LBJ and the dock area has a large flagstone patio that I am going to cover and make into an outdoor entertainment area. I'll have plenty of questions if this goes through but my first one is in regard to the existing flagstone patio. Is there a way to refurbish or stain the existing rock? If so, has anyone done it and have pictures?

No help...but i pray it works out in y'alls favor

Comment

Start by pressure washing it. You might be surprised how nice it looks once you clean it. Especially if it’s limestone.

Comment

Originally posted by mattjproc View Post
        Start by pressure washing it. You might be surprised how nice it looks once you clean it. Especially if it’s limestone.
        This, my dad pressure washes his patio a couple times a year (once in the Spring & then once or twice in the Summer). Really makes a world of difference.

I think he also has put some sort of sealant on it as well, but I don't think that really has any effect on the color. I'm pretty sure it's more of a preventative measure to fight off staining more than anything.

Congrats on the lake house!

Comment

Much appreciated. I figured pressure washing would be first step. Any recommendations on must have or not have appliances? I’m the thinking gas grill, fridge, sink, and ice maker.

Comment

One of the things that not many people think about is fans. My folks have a couple in corners of their pergola and they come in really handy during those stagnant hot summer afternoons and evenings.

Just went through my phone and didn't find any really good pics, but my folks have a pretty sweet bar set up with a tv you can see from the pool. It's kinda set up to wear whenever you're cooking it's not effecting the people that are sitting on the stools eating/drinking/watching tv/visiting/etc., and makes a great serving area (think of it as a buffet of sorts).

Also, an outdoor fireplace is always a big hit.\

I'd check out the DIY forum. You can probably get lost of great ideas from some of the folks who have done their own and made a thread to follow along.

Comment

I’m leaning towards wall mounted oscillating fans instead of ceiling fans and yep fireplace has been discussed but I’m afraid it will be out of my budget

Comment

stain it like people do the concrete floors??? just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by silentstalker92 View Post
                  Not sure. Was hoping someone had done it before.

Comment

Originally posted by silentstalker92 View Post
                    Pretty sure staining rock like concrete floors would be a terrible idea. If you do try it i would love to see pictures of how it turned out though.

Comment

Originally posted by mattjproc View Post
                      Pretty sure staining rock like concrete floors would be a terrible idea. If you do try it i would love to see pictures of how it turned out though.
                      Yea I won't do it unless I see pictures of previous work. The existing patio of flagstone is not bad but it certainly looks weary and tired. Straight pressure washing might be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                        Much appreciated. I figured pressure washing would be first step. Any recommendations on must have or not have appliances? I’m the thinking gas grill, fridge, sink, and ice maker.
                        I was pushed away from doing a ice maker as they don't do very well. We have not missed it at all.

Comment

If you are going to build a Pergola, Arbor or whatever you want to make it look nice, I would suggest Redwood with a metal roof if it is not going to attached to your existing roof. If you put fans underneath for air circulation, be sure and look at fans for outdoor use. I have one underneath my Redwood deck/Arbor and the blades are beginning to droop a little due to the little humidity we have here. Post pics on the build and finished product if you can.

I built a 10'x10' Redwood deck with a roof over it that is topped with Black R panel to match the color of out house roof. I also ran electricity for my smoker, fan and lights I hung around the top outside boards of my Arbor. Good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0763.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	24534881

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                            I was pushed away from doing a ice maker as they don't do very well. We have not missed it at all.
                            I am torn on ice maker. I have friends that have them and it seems like they are constantly going out! However, when they work, they sure are nice. My option is just bringing an ice chest full of ice every trip and I'd rather not have to do that--but....

As for the build, I don't have pictures of the space on this computer but it will attach to the side of the existing boat house. As soon as I can I will post pictures. Kind of don't want to jinx myself and put the cart before the horse on the closing. Thanks or the input. Trust me I'll have plenty more questions as this goes.

Comment

They have dye f that might work acetone is the carrier. When it's wet does it look good if so you could seal it was a solvent-based sealer

Comment

Working...
                              X