2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    Congrats Johnny! Some tillers give the option to change the direction of tiller rotation, if your does you really wanting so that it’s pulling back on the tractor vs pushing it if that makes sense.
    Roger that. I'm going to check it and see if it has that option. Thanks.

So what is everyone using to make your rows?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Johnny, This is what I use for making my garden rows. Once you get it set up, it makes absolutely perfect rows and with the optional furrowing attachment, it opens the top of the row up so all you have to do is drop in seeds and cover them up.

This web site has a lot of good information as well as good YouTube videos on how to set the attachments up. I called and asked questions and they were always helpful... Quick shipments too... first time I called, I told him his attachment wouldn't work for me because it was the wrong color... He said, "what you mean?"... I tole him all my stuff had to be John Deere Green... He chuckled and tole me all his stuff was Case Yeller... Good folks.

I got the 48" bedder because I didn't want to make my rows too far apart, and with the small "plows" set at their widest hole setting, they take out my tire tracks and makes for a nice looking garden...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7447.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	24646066

Name:	IMG_7450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	24646065

Name:	IMG_7451.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	24646064

As you can see from the pic, the bedder now works very well on my tractor... I painted it the RIGHT color!!
      Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 03-15-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
        Cilantro?
        What area you in for that? I'm southeast Texas. Love that stuff but never tried to grow it. Guess I'm researching now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        Cilantro grows stupid in south East San Antonio, when it gets hot it will bolt fast but usually it puts on a nice crop beforehand. Let it seed out and dry you will never have to replant.

The butterfly’s seem to like the flower too.

Comment

Got everything planted for the most part and of course I do everything back asswards so I just ordered a drip kit from Hoss. 189$ for everything to water my 90x40 garden. We shall see if I can keep the weeds down and get anything to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone plant pumpkins?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
              Anyone plant pumpkins?
              I'd like to, but I just don't have room.

Comment

OK, got a question....
                Anyone ever put their purple hull or similar peas on a trellis? Thinking about trying to get mine to grow up a cattle panel trellis to get 'em off the ground and separate the rows a bit... By the time mine are in peak of production, my rows that are almost 6 feet apart are all grown together... Never heard of anybody putting peas on a trellis, but sure seems like it would work AND make pickin' 'em a lot less back-breaking!
                Anybody??

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  OK, got a question....
                  Anyone ever put their purple hull or similar peas on a trellis? Thinking about trying to get mine to grow up a cattle panel trellis to get 'em off the ground and separate the rows a bit... By the time mine are in peak of production, my rows that are almost 6 feet apart are all grown together... Never heard of anybody putting peas on a trellis, but sure seems like it would work AND make pickin' 'em a lot less back-breaking!
                  Anybody??
                  I did last year, and it worked pretty good. I had one row of peas. Spaced that row 3' away from my last row of corn, and it got kinda tight once everything was grown out, but not too bad.

Comment

Anyone plant pumpkins?
                    I planted some 2 years ago. They were supposed to be giant pumpkins according to the package, but the biggest one was about 10" diameter. To me, giant is a little bigger than that, LOL. The kids had fun with it, but dont think I will waste my time agian. Planted around July 4th for an October ripening/picking.

Comment

Thank you sir! Last year I had 4 rows of peas about 50 yards long and by the time they reached peak production, they were just one big mass of vines and the grass was terrible... I couldn't get in there to weed or anything and wading through them to pick 'em damaged the vines badly. It's gonna cost a small fortune in panels, but I've got to give that a try!
                      Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                        I planted some 2 years ago. They were supposed to be giant pumpkins according to the package, but the biggest one was about 10" diameter. To me, giant is a little bigger than that, LOL. The kids had fun with it, but dont think I will waste my time agian. Planted around July 4th for an October ripening/picking.

Did you have problems with diseases?

Thinking about doing a little pumpkin patch so the wife don’t have to buy all her decorative pumpkins plus I just like to experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          OK, got a question....
                          Anybody??
                          I plant "top of the vine purple hull peas". All pea pods grow at the top of the plant and you don't have to search all through the plant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

They have bush variety and vine variety of purple hulls I think. If yours are vine variety, then they should run up that trellis good.

Comment

We gonna find out! I'll be headed to TSC this weekend with my trailer... gonna buy a bunch of panels to trellis my peas, cukes, maters and squash/zucchini... You get a discount at 20 panels...

Comment

Did you have problems with diseases?

Thinking about doing a little pumpkin patch so the wife don’t have to buy all her decorative pumpkins plus I just like to experiment.

No I did not.

Comment

Working...
                                X