Help me get into reloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me get into reloading

So I got a 458 Socom upper in a trade. The only way to make this thing any where close to affordable to shoot is to reload for it. I am on a budget, meaning the most cost effective way to get started

So, what are the essentials to get me started loading one caliber? I know there are a lot of reloaders on here who can give me solid info. FYI: I have reloaded with a friend a few years ago, so I am not totally ignorant to the process. I am going to start with new 458 brass.

They make kits that have all the basics (RCBS and Hornady come to mind) I’d start looking there and decide if you want to piece a kit together or buy a preset kit.

If I had to do it all over again I’d buy the set and upgrade later on. I’ve been doing it for about 15 years

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

So which kit is the best value? The Hornady kit looks pretty nice

Comment

The Hornady kit will get it done and is on sale for 18% off right now at Midway.
        If you're not worried about speed or accuracy you can get started pretty cheaply.
        I've got the opposite advise about buying stuff you know you'll upgrade... buy once and be done.

Comment

Check out the Lee Turret press. It comes in cheaper than the RCBS and Hornady stuff. Buy the best scale you can afford within your budget.

Comment

But, now that I look, that Hornady kit at Midway is a great deal and would be a good kit to run with!

Comment

This is only my opinion, but stick with RCBS components. Take a look at the RCBS Rockchucker kit. Don't waste your money on a cheap electronic scale. If you cant get a good one now, just use a beam scale until you can. I will say that the new Chargemaster scales are junk compared to the older ones. If it is in a glossy full colored box, its a new model. If it is in a plain white box with green text, its an older version and a very good scale once its tuned and tweaked properly. I run two chargemasters side by side in my reloading room. RCBS press that my dad bought back in the late 70's. Forster or Redding dies. I load roughly 5000 precision center fire rifle rounds a year. Mainly in 6mm and 6.5mm with some various .223.

Comment

The hornady kit is hard to beat. I prefer RCBS stuff personally with the exception of their dies. Redding does are my go to.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I’ve only used Lee and RCBS. I prefer RCBS everything now.

The lee products just feel cheaper from the packaging to the component. The function and reliability of certain products are also far better with RCBS in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm selling a lot of reloading equipment for my Papaw. I even have a few Star Reloaders for sale. They are a little more complex. I wouldn't recommend them to someone just starting out. I have one single stage reloader but I'm not familiar with the brand. I am selling Dies though, all RCBS. Let me check to see if I have any for that caliber and I'll let you know.

Comment

Here are a few must-have items IMHO:
                      Press (can usually find good eBay deals on used Rock Chuckers)
                      Dies
                      Shell holder for your press
                      Case lubricant (unless using carbide dies)
                      Consistent powder dispensing capability (electronic, balance beam, scale and trickler, powder throw...multiple choices here)
                      Priming capability (hand primers work just fine)
                      Case trimming capability (multiple choices)
                      Calipers that measure down to 0.001"
                      Tumbler and tumbling media

You also obviously need brass, bullets, powder and primers. If you have to order online, get your powder and primers from the same vendor so you only have to pay one HAZMAT fee for shipping.

The upfront investment is significant but it pays for itself fairly quickly if you shoot a lot.

Comment

There's a RCBS kit on here for $150. Pretty good deal. He's in Houston though, shipping may be a bit high.

Comment

Disregard. I don't have anything for 458. Best wishes on learning though!

Comment

It’s an expensive habit!!

Comment

I bought the Hornady single stage kit and wouldn’t change a thing if I did it again. Added a set of rcbs calipers, a tumbler, couple manuals, and four lee carbide pistol die sets. Have loaded several thousand rounds for my pistols and my brothers and dad. Now I’m stepping up to rifle. This is a different ballgame. About to pull the trigger on some Redding dies, chronograph, and case prep tools. You will NOT save money, you will however shoot more and have another hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X