Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #51
CoachStanton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Punkin Center, TX
Default 2017...Wichita Falls and surrounding counties Season Thread

Following. Hunting between WF and Burk. First year on the place. Tons of pigs, turkey and bucks of all ages. Went two weeks ago and needed my waders and an African bug net to hunt. Saw several young bucks. Won't be back out until the first weekend of November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoachStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #52
Hillwhacker
Six Point

Hunt In: Baylor County

Thank you for all of congratulations. I agree, the snakes have been out in force. I killed 5 in 4 days the first week of the season. And yes, themosquitos are horrible, don't go anywhere without a Thermacell!
I also agree on how the deer the move in the area. Last year a Booner deer we had watched for 3 seasons was shot about 7 miles away on wheat. The only way we knew about him being shot was we saw him posted on Texas Trophy Hunter.
Good Luck everyone! The bucks are making scrapes, sparring and are already harassing does. Rattling should start producing anytime now!
Hillwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #53
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Finally heading to the lease today. Hoping for the cool front to move through sooner than they say it supposed to. Hope to get in a few hunts. Gotta clean out the bow blinds and see what kind of wasp and other biting or stinging stuff is in them. It was too dang hot to mess with cleaning them out 10 weeks ago when I was out last. Safe travels to all planning on going out. Have fun!
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #54
Devin
Administrator

Good luck to everyone in the area!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #55
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County and Denton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
Finally heading to the lease today. Hoping for the cool front to move through sooner than they say it supposed to. Hope to get in a few hunts. Gotta clean out the bow blinds and see what kind of wasp and other biting or stinging stuff is in them. It was too dang hot to mess with cleaning them out 10 weeks ago when I was out last. Safe travels to all planning on going out. Have fun!
Good luck to you sir! Never know what can show up at any time!
TTU TX Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #56
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Well my first sit this morning and so far it's been interesting. Woke up and my stomach was growling. I never have a stomach ache. So I sit on the thrown awhile. I start walking to the blind and about 100 yards from the blind there are 3 does and a small 10. I walk right by them in the dark. Get in the blind set up and my stomach really is boiling. Now I haven't thrown up in a long long time. There is a small 6 point at the feeder waiting for it to go off. It goes off and I go off about the same time. I fling the door open and let her go. Unfortunately it came out both ends. So I am going back to camp reshower and lay back down. The only thing I can think of is I made a sandwich about 10 after I got here and used some bad mayo or mustard out of the fridge. I just bought the meat, bread and chips I had.
Oh well.
I know that's TMI,
Old 10-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #57
D12
Ten Point

Are y'all still seeing a Bachlor groups or have they split up. Thx
D12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #58
Pennington13
Six Point

Hunt In: Clay and Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by D12 View Post
Are y'all still seeing a Bachlor groups or have they split up. Thx
Seeing a little bit of both a few of my bucks have split up and some of them are still grouped up. My last couple sits they have been sparring a lot I donít think theyíll be in their bachelor groups much longer.
Pennington13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #59
D12
Ten Point

Thx for the info. Good luck
D12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #60
Hillwhacker
Six Point

Speaking of biting things.... I don't like them when they are in our skinning shed! One of our guys killed these last nite and then another after this picture was taken! Be watchful, they are on the move in front of this cold front!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  59.1 KB
Old 10-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #61
Incline
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cottle County or Where Invited

Quote:
Well my first sit this morning and so far it's been interesting. Woke up and my stomach was growling. I never have a stomach ache. So I sit on the thrown awhile. I start walking to the blind and about 100 yards from the blind there are 3 does and a small 10. I walk right by them in the dark. Get in the blind set up and my stomach really is boiling. Now I haven't thrown up in a long long time. There is a small 6 point at the feeder waiting for it to go off. It goes off and I go off about the same time. I fling the door open and let her go. Unfortunately it came out both ends. So I am going back to camp reshower and lay back down. The only thing I can think of is I made a sandwich about 10 after I got here and used some bad mayo or mustard out of the fridge. I just bought the meat, bread and chips I had.
Oh well.
I know that's TMI,
Buddy I hope you feel better soon. Cover scent may or may not be an issue this afternoon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Incline is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #62
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Two weeks ago does and small bucks were really hitting the feeder and hand corn. Haven't had a big deer show up yet. I haven't checked cameras in two weeks. Hopefully today. Western Wise County.
I forgot, 1 doe down.

Last edited by oktx; 10-21-2017 at 09:59 AM..
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #63
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

I came home lastnite cause it was so hot and windy thursday and friday. I'll go back after the front next week. good luck fellas. we need to set up a breakfast meet in Archer City or Olney.
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #64
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incline View Post
Buddy I hope you feel better soon. Cover scent may or may not be an issue this afternoon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Lmao That scent might last awhile. I trashed all clothing involved.

I slept most the day. I feel a little better, thanks.

It kept getting better. I pulled my mule off the trailer and it had a flat.

About 45 minutes ago we had a storm come thru and knocked out the electricity. Since we

bum our electricity it off a pump jack. It will be out till the pumper comes out.

With all the negative atleast I am at the lease and it couldn't be better.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #65
coachk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay Co

just got all my stuff loaded...gonna give it a go in the morning!
coachk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #66
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Sunday report. I sat at a new feeder we put up 6 weeks ago. We just put up a bow blind that morning. With no pen around it was hog central. I ran off 10 or so walking in. 40 minutes later had 8 show up. I stuck the big boar and they never returned. We are going to pen it off next weekend.
Another hunter sat across the road in our new oat field that only has volunteer wheat coming up. They are planting this week. He saw 40-50 deer and about 20 bucks most of them being yearlings or two-year-olds. He did see a 125 inch 10. None were chasing. Then at dark, late a 145 inch 10 came out and chased a doe all over the place.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #67
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Is anyone going to be out with the bow this weekend? I have a super busy schedule but am thinking about waking up early Tomorrow morning and driving to the lease in Archer just to make a morning hunt. Winds show to be out of the NW a 5mph and temps down to 30. The perfect storm in bow season has arrived, do y’all think that’d be worth it?
Old 10-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #68
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
Is anyone going to be out with the bow this weekend? I have a super busy schedule but am thinking about waking up early Tomorrow morning and driving to the lease in Archer just to make a morning hunt. Winds show to be out of the NW a 5mph and temps down to 30. The perfect storm in bow season has arrived, do yíall think thatíd be worth it?
I would go if anyway I could. Last weekend was a disaster. 3.5 hours for 2 hunts isn't worth it for me. Especially getting back home at 11pm Sunday night.
Good Luck!
Old 10-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #69
TXBowhunter11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Seymour, Wichita Falls, Megargel

Quote:
Is anyone going to be out with the bow this weekend? I have a super busy schedule but am thinking about waking up early Tomorrow morning and driving to the lease in Archer just to make a morning hunt. Winds show to be out of the NW a 5mph and temps down to 30. The perfect storm in bow season has arrived, do yíall think thatíd be worth it?
I'm from Wichita Falls, but I will be in Baylor county in the morning at my lease and then Archer County at our family land for the evening and probably Sunday as well!
TXBowhunter11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #70
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

I got permission from the ole lady so Iíll wake up and make the 2.5 hr drive and hope for that monster Iíve never seen before to show up
Old 10-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #71
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Name:  428FFE0C-A2D7-464C-B4F0-D6EE89169FC3.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  35.2 KB

40+ turkey came thru and wiped out my hand corn as well. Had 7 pigs come n really early but did not have enough light to see my peep in the pop-up. 2 doe and a small 8 came through but never stopped. Still waiting on el grande to show up, guessing he slept in this morning. Heard two rifle shots so far and they sounded like hits. Iíll update in a bit!
Old 10-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #72
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Didn’t see anymore activity at the stand this morning. I went to check on a food plot near by and it looks like the army worms wiped most of it out. The peas seemed to be in the best shape but the oats, wheat and elbon were hit hard. I believe I will plant substantially later next year and try to buy a large spray rig to make the gly spray easier as well as keep up with the army worms if they invade again. I have another 3-4 acre plot on another property nearby that I will have to check next weekend. Very expensive lesson learned there. Activity was very high as I saw a fox and three deer on the CR as I left. Good luck to all of you in the stand or at the lease this weekend! Will be headed back out early Friday to hopefully catch one last hunt before the rifle opener on Saturday.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #73
Abcdj
Pope & Young

I got pictures of a buck from Archer county this morning. It was taken by a friends brother. I don't know details but will try to find out the scoop. So i dont feel like posting the picture. I could count 26 points and it will score over 220-230 I'm sure.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #74
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Quote:
I got pictures of a buck from Archer county this morning. It was taken by a friends brother. I don't know details but will try to find out the scoop. So i dont feel like posting the picture. I could count 26 points and it will score over 220-230 I'm sure.
Thatís a crazy big deer and especially for this area. The deer do seem to be getting better every year! Did you know which part of the county it was taken?
Old 10-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #75
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thatís a crazy big deer and especially for this area. The deer do seem to be getting better every year! Did you know which part of the county it was taken?
Never mind, I found out it came from a high fenced place in Archer county. "NOTHING AGAINST HIGH FENCED DEER" Don't know where it is in the county. It scored 257.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #76
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Never mind, I found out it came from a high fenced place in Archer county. "NOTHING AGAINST HIGH FENCED DEER" Don't know where it is in the county. It scored 257.
We have a high game breeding operation about 5 miles from our place and they always have a couple studs and a ton of crazy big younger deer. I always like to drive by and look at them when Iím out there for the weekend. You were right about those dang army worms. Iím going to have to plant later next year.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #77
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Where is the high fence place
Old 10-30-2017, 07:39 AM   #78
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmaster View Post
Where is the high fence place
If youíre headed out west of Archer on 25 you take a right on Buerger Rd and itís the first place on your right. I call it Dugan Rd but google calls it Trubville Rd to the west and Buerger Rd to the east of 25. They have breeder pens right off the road and there are always some nice deer to see. Theyíve been cutting the antlers off the big breeder bucks here lately but there is normally one hoss around. Marvin at Archer Feed told me a little about the place but I donít know too much about their operation.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #79
huntmaster
Pope & Young

I was told the fella that bought the 300A across the road from me has a 1000A high fence place in Archer county but didn't know where. I'm south of y'all on Furr rd
Old 10-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #80
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmaster View Post
I was told the fella that bought the 300A across the road from me has a 1000A high fence place in Archer county but didn't know where. I'm south of y'all on Furr rd
Howís is your deer here looking so far this year? We have so many bucks it is crazy. Iím contemplating not shooting any doe to help stabilize the numbers a little. We have at least a 2:1 if not a 3:1 ratio or better. Lots of great up and comers and a few mature deer.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #81
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Howís is your deer here looking so far this year? We have so many bucks it is crazy. Iím contemplating not shooting any doe to help stabilize the numbers a little. We have at least a 2:1 if not a 3:1 ratio or better. Lots of great up and comers and a few mature deer.
We didn't shoot any does for 5-6 years. Personally, I don't think that area is manageable. With such big open ranges, no boundaries and the distance deer travel around the area.
We are 20-25 miles North of you guys and would say that the two areas are substantially different in deer numbers thou. One of our guys pays to hunt where we are at and his family owns several thousand acres just west and south of where yall are at.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #82
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Quote:
We didn't shoot any does for 5-6 years. Personally, I don't think that area is manageable. With such big open ranges, no boundaries and the distance deer travel around the area.
We are 20-25 miles North of you guys and would say that the two areas are substantially different in deer numbers thou. One of our guys pays to hunt where we are at and his family owns several thousand acres just west and south of where yall are at.
It is a very unpredictable environment. When I see threads about guys managing deer for 5+ years I think we should be able to do the same, it has not been the case. The best Iíve tracked a deer is for three years and during season I would say about half the bucks are residents and half pass through. We do feed protein and I think if anything it helps us see more of the deer in our surrounding areas. Itís funny you mention that about a guy on your place, the neighbor to the south of us will talk to me throughout the season and in two years they have not seen or had a mature buck on camera. They own this land and lease other land west of Wichita. I feel like the best thing going for us in the area compared to our neighbors is pressure. We have a safe haven for the deer we do not access and all of our neighbors over hunt and spread out the deer. One neighbor has three stands and multiple feeders on 100 acres and also their camp. I do think that is my favorite part about hunting the area is not knowing what could show up at anytime. One of my friends was on our place for a couple years and his first whitetail was a nine point split g2 buck in full velvet during the middle of December!
Old 10-31-2017, 12:01 PM   #83
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Quote:

I have a few more doe than bucks showing up here.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #84
crowmagnum
Eight Point

I skewered two javinas and a mature doe last Sunday😎
Attached Images

crowmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #85
crowmagnum
Eight Point

Live pic.I am having the boar Javi full body mounted.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #86
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmagnum View Post
Live pic.I am having the boar Javi full body mounted.
Thatís awesome!! Was this out in Knox County? I shot a small one last year in Archer and saw two larger ones and couldnít believe what I had just seen.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #87
crowmagnum
Eight Point

[quote=TTU TX Hunter;12887077]Thatís awesome!! Was this out in Knox County? I shot a small one last year in Archer and saw two larger ones and couldnít believe what I had just seen.[/QUOTEknox county it was,we are over ran w them.🇨🇱
Old 11-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #88
crowmagnum
Eight Point

More
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #89
josh3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

I got out to our place in Throckmorton County and it was hotter than you know what! There are also a million bees flying around. They were all over our porch and camp trailer as well as blinds. I couldn’t believe how many are flying around.
josh3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #90
youngbuck1
Six Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

I’ll be in Baylor county sat morning looking to fill buck tag #2. This heat won’t help..
youngbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #91
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Leaving Decatur around 1 and stopping at one stop in runaway bay to grab some ribeyes then headed out to the lease in Archer. Can’t decide which stand to hunt with the wind predictions changing directions mid hunt.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #92
CoachStanton
Ten Point

Sitting in Wichita county in the AM. Conditions suck but you canít kill them at the house. Good luck to everyone.

Weíre looking for my sonís first buck.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:06 PM   #93
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Good luck to everyone going out this weekend. I won't be able to make it out.
Post u0 a big one!
Nice javelinas fellas. We have about 40 that live on our lease. We kinda treat them as our pets.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #94
CoachStanton
Ten Point

Default 2017...Wichita Falls and surrounding counties Season Thread

Saw a ton of doe on the way to the stand yesterday and yearling buck cruising about 9:30. Got down around 10:00 and my son took a shot at a big boar. Hit him twice and he just soaked them up. Still a good first day.

This morning I forgot to change the alarm time and we woke up with the sun starting to rise. Decided to just drive and park on the side of the wheat to see if anything was moving. When the sun crested we had 3 doe and 20 pigs on the wheat. Decided to take a doe for some table fare. Picked out the biggest one and sheís in the truck now. First deer for me from up here and sheís huge. Iíve shot mature bucks in other places that were this big.

Hope you guys have had a productive weekend. Itís been a good time for my boy and I. Next weekend weíll be deer hunting Saturday and duck hunting Sunday.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #95
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

That's a good plan for the weekend with a day of deer hunting and a day of duck hunting. Wish y'all success no matter how you measure your success.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #96
Hillwhacker
Six Point

Default Rut ro!

It's on in Baylor Co. Filmed this morning!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  46.2 KB
Old 11-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #97
Randallc
Four Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Following
Randallc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #98
Abcdj
Pope & Young

I hope everyone has a safe weekend traveling to the lease. I can't go again this week. Next week I will start getting out most every weekend. One of our guys shot a nice 22' 10 point, 155-160 inch deer last night. They were not rutting he said. Good numbers of 100+ deer on the wheat. Good to have some cooler weather to get them stirred up.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #99
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

I will be headed out to Throckmorton County in a couple of hours. I didn't have a good south wind set up for rifle but I do now after changing some things around last weekend. I plan to bow hunt again this weekend but I will get the rifle out if they are up cruising or chasing cause that is often when shot opportunities are limited and out of bow range.
Good luck to everyone that is headed out this week/weekend

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #100
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Out of curiosity, what does the average lease run per year in the general area between Vernon, Seymore, WF area? I am looking for next year for myself, my wife and son.
bloodstick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top