School me on arc fault breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on arc fault breakers

Required on new builds? All rooms in the house? Just bedrooms? ect.

They are trash. I replaced some of them with real breakers in our house.

Static from your finger to the switch can trip them. All kinds of stuff trips them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Unless you have to have these for inspection, do not get them unless you want to be resetting breakers. I have seen ceiling fans, printers, TVs trip them for no reason.

Comment

they are worthless... and required basically everywhere.
        Killer combo

Comment

Originally posted by Mrsailfish View Post
          Unless you have to have these for inspection, do not get them unless you want to be resetting breakers. I have seen ceiling fans, printers, TVs trip them for no reason.
          X2

we have 1 plug that we cant plug the vacuum cleaner to. If we do when you push the button to stop the brushes to go from carpet to hardwood it trips.

Comment

Trash. You won't be getting inspected in burner co so no need to worry about them.

Comment

They can be a pain in the butt like smoke alarms until you need them to save your house or your life. Then they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Comment

The worst things invented other than “the windi”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For sure. Pure junk.

Comment

Texas adopted the 2017 NEC in September, so technically required but who enforces it? Municipalities will differ on code cycle and outside city limits it's a 'do whatever you want' in many areas.

In the 2017 edition of the NEC®, Section 210.12 requires that for dwelling units, all 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by AFCIs.

Comment

from what Ive gathered.. and Im a Journeyman Electrician

motors trip them the most..

ceiling fans, blenders, vacuums, and etc

Ive been servicing them for several years

Comment

I hope whoever mandated them is one day put on a respirator... that’s plugged into one. I despise them

Comment

Do not put them on anything that you want to stay cold. The lights blink and they trip and you don't notice it you lose three deers worth of meat. Ask me how I know [emoji35]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            I hope whoever mandated them is one day put on a respirator... that’s plugged into one. I despise them

yes!

Comment

To answer your questions:

1- Yes they are required on new builds.
                              2- The latest code cycle requires AFCI basically everywhere but your garage, bathrooms, and outdoor circuits.

Depending on where you live, the authority having jurisdiction may still be using an older code cycle. This could change the requirements a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X