Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Irion Co Buck down...My dream 8.

September 30, 2017

I'm going to try my best to keep this story short.

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted a Big 8pt. I would often day dream of those big 8's and was sure hoping to connect on one in my life time.

I love surfing TBH and seeing all the deer posted here but those big 8's always caught my eye. Every deer season, I would search and pray I could catch up with one to call my own. I'm just a fan.

This particular story actually starts in 2013. I first noticed a young 3.5 yr old 8pt as he walked in on a hunt at my Pump Jack spot. He was an average short tined buck but looked fairly wide for some reason he just "stood out" to me.

I watched him for the rest of the year and was lucky enough to watch him again through out the 2014 season. He didn't change much just got a little bigger.

In 2015 he made a decent jump getting into the upper teens. I found his right side shed after season and was really liking his look.

2016 he gets a little bigger in every area but brows. They stayed in the
    3 6/8" range. I moved my other spot to the other side of the draw around February. It was a new set up with a lot of vision. I was kinda surprised when this 8 starting showing up there. He gave me a present at the feeder shortly after during the shed season. I now had his from 2015 and 2016.
    he scored 126"

The summer of 2017 rolls in and he was now back at my Pump Jack spot, I could recognize him in velvet. He looked good but at that growth stage it was hard to gauge him.

I was really hoping to shoot a buck off the new spot this year. And to my surprise this 8 moved into the new spot I now call "Pipe Line" around the first of August. Now I was really getting excited. He made that new spot his home for the rest of the time leading up to the opening day. I knew I wanted this guy bad. He had blown up for sure. I spent a lot of time reflecting on things and started thinking back when I first started bowhunting. I cherish all those memories of the early years as archery has changed my life. Its with those thoughts of looking back that I chose to hunt this deer with a Muzzy broadhead. It was my favorite head for a long time. I wanted to go back to the "old school roots"

"The Hunt"

Woke up to a cool, foggy and raining morning. Well actually didn't wake up, the truth is I never could go to sleep. Lol I could not wait to get this season going. I got in my bow blind just a few minutes after 6am. It was a cool wet morning waiting on the sun to come up. I had a lot of time to think and talk with God. As it got a little lighter I could make out a doe and fawn. Next time I looked out the bow window I could tell it was a big body buck that I very quickly recognized...It was him. I turned into jelly for a good while but luckily it was still way too dark. Now I just had to wait for legal time and the right light. I was able to calm down with time. It took a little while for the fog to lift good enough to shoot. I got to watch him for a good bit. I really enjoyed watching him move around and interact with the other bucks. I knew I wanted him real bad. With the video rolling I got the Hoyt at full draw and I walked my 20 yard pin up his front leg and settled in. Soon a Muzzy Trocar 3 blade was lauched his direction. I could see blood pumping as he reacted and ran off. The time was 7:50am and I was about to blow up in that blind.

I instantly prayed to God thinking him for everything. I just set there for a minute trying to calm down. I had horrible cell service but It was good to just enjoy the moment. It was a mystical wet foggy morning that I have been dreaming about for a long long time. I took my time even though I heard him crash and thought I saw him going down.

I walked up to the area I saw him go and there he was. He only made it about 50 yards from the shot. It floored my me when I saw him piled up. I stood there knowing God hears my whispers but I shouted up to God as loud as i could...Thanking him for this moment. I kneeled down and paid my respects to a very special animal. It was at that moment that I could no longer hold it all back.

A lot of tears were shed as I looked up to the heavens once more thanking Him for pouring out his blessings over me. This buck got me more than any other deer!!!

My dream 8 was perfect. All the history and every thing else was a huge bonus. I am very thankful for a special place to hunt even though it's low fence we get to sometimes watch bucks from year to year. This place has taught me that I really don't know what I doing but I sure enjoy the ride.

It was just Jeremy and I at the lease. Knowing our good friend's health is not real good and he couldn't make it out was extremely hard. He is a very special friend and I wont stop praying for him.

I'm sorry for the long read....I tried. Lol
    Thanks to Jeremy for taking the LDP's for me. They turned out awesome and It truly adds to my memories having these pics. It means a lot to me.

The Big 8 was 7.5 yrs old and scored 140 2/8"

Here's the video link. Click the image below

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7UqSdpKyY"]Big 8 Irion Co 2017 - YouTube[/ame]

LDP's
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bone Thug; 10-01-2017, 07:14 PM.

Awesome, Congratulations

Comment

Forgot the tailgate pic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love big Eights

Comment

Awesome 8 and great write up. Congrats!

Comment

Holy smokes what a buck

Comment

Congrats on a beautiful buck

Comment

Congrats Brandon! Beautiful deer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome eight point. Congrats

Comment

Well we all knew you were gonna get him, it was just when you were gonna get him. Congrats

Comment

Great recap and video. Congrats and a great 8!

Comment

Great write up and he is an awesome buck. Big congrats to you.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

What a buck! Congrats! And great write up, give glory where it’s due brother.

Comment

Great job!!! Awesome deer. Once in a lifetime. Congrats

Comment

You went beast mode. Congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X