No announcement yet.

Electric Smoker ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Bradley Digital electric smoker. My only complaint is that I did not buy it 10 yrs before I did!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have had a Masterbuilt (MES), 40" with the window for a few years and I love it. I also have a stick burner, and for me, neither one is a replacement for the other. They each have their place.

But the MES is super easy and does the smaller things very well. It does the big things extremely well too so you'll be fine with a single electric smoker, but the very large briskets just belong on the stick burner, IMHO.

One thing I do suggest is an external digital thermometer like the Maverick (there are other quality units too). I have consistently found a 20-30 degree difference between what the smoker says the temp is and what the Maverick claims. I use this info to dial-in the temp a little better and I tend to trust the Maverick over the MES.

Comment

I added a heating element to this ol charcoal smoker. Lay some chunks of wood around the element and plug it in. Works like a champ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0304170803-01.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	24523590

Click image for larger version

Name:	0304170803-00.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	24523591

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
          I have had a Masterbuilt (MES), 40" with the window for a few years and I love it. I also have a stick burner, and for me, neither one is a replacement for the other. They each have their place.

But the MES is super easy and does the smaller things very well. It does the big things extremely well too so you'll be fine with a single electric smoker, but the very large briskets just belong on the stick burner, IMHO.

One thing I do suggest is an external digital thermometer like the Maverick (there are other quality units too). I have consistently found a 20-30 degree difference between what the smoker says the temp is and what the Maverick claims. I use this info to dial-in the temp a little better and I tend to trust the Maverick over the MES.

https://www.amazon.com/maverick-smok...%20thermometer
          Definitely!! I have a dual temp sensor maverick and love it. Coach

Comment

I see Weber makes a good charcoal smoker. Reviews say it’s top notch & holds temp well without a lot of babysitting. Just thinking as an alternative to avoid dealing with controller or element going out. Of course I like a little charcoal flavor. Like icing on a cake. What’s GS thoughts?

Comment

I hope I’m not derailing the thread but is there an advantage to propane over electric smoker ? I see they make both and the reviews are a little better on the propane models .

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
                I hope I’m not derailing the thread but is there an advantage to propane over electric smoker ? I see they make both and the reviews are a little better on the propane models .
                I’ve already derailed throwing out there charcoal smoker option lol. I’d like to hear from experience of different options anyways on cost, reliability, ease of use. Great feedback so far

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                  I see Weber makes a good charcoal smoker. Reviews say it’s top notch & holds temp well without a lot of babysitting. Just thinking as an alternative to avoid dealing with controller or element going out. Of course I like a little charcoal flavor. Like icing on a cake. What’s GS thoughts?

Weber Smokey Mountains are excellent smokers and hold temps really well. They are almost as easy to run as the electrics. I was able to smoke 12-14 hours on one load of charcoal/woodchunks. Usually about 1/3 of a bag of Kingsford or B&B plus 5-6 chunks of the wood of my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                    Not to hijack but what's the difference between a electric smoker and a pellet grill?
                    As others have mentioned, both need power to operate. The big advantage of pellets is that the heat is generated by the wood pellets vs. The electric element on a electric smoker. IMO the wood burning in a pellet smoker gives a better flavor and perfect "smoke ring" in the meat. I have never been able to produce the smoke ring in an electric smoker. Some may say this is not important, but it's a personal opinion.

Also, the ability to turn the heat up to 450-500 degrees is nice to have for searing or putting a nice bark on a piece of meat.

Comment

my propane no worky when below freezing. I just use a Brinkman gourmet smoker. Cheap and makes some awesome food. I put a metal wood box in over the element and it will smoke for an hour or two between fills stays a constant 250F Remember to cut up an onion or two and a bunch of garlic and put in the waterpan! BTW the large waterpan just under the grill is it's biggest plus IMO

Comment

I have a Masterbuilt and love it. As stated, set it and forget it. Very easy, even for a beginner.

Is it as good as the traditional offset smoker? Close, but not quite in my opinion. While brisket on my Masterbuilt is great, as stated, you just don't get the smoke ring like a traditional smoke. I think for roasting whole chickens, turkeys, etc., the electrics can actually do a little better due to the constant temp.

If you have a Masterbuilt, try doing beef ribs. They come out absolutely phenomenal. I've gotten more compliments on beef ribs than anything. No question, electric smokers (or even pellet smokers) have their place. It's tough to beat the ease and quick setup, especially for a random Sunday afternoon.

Comment

After smoking untold pounds of meat my MasterBuilt 40 gave up the ghost.

It's a great smoker and I would buy another but I'm going to upgrade to a Rec Tec pellet smoker.

Comment

I have a Master Forger from Lowes. Knock off of the Masterbuilt. Works great.

Comment

I have a smokin tex electric smoker. Got it about 10 years ago. I takes a piece of wood (about 1x1 inch) which produces smoke for about 4HR. It produces great bbq. There are brands that are a little cheaper. I'll buy another one when this one dies.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Masterbuilts do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                                X