Help Me Understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Understand

How would cutting arrows from the nock end effect arrow spine?

I took some older unfletched arrows (Easton FMJ) I had to a local shop to have them cut down. The arrows already had the HIT insert installed and I didn't feel comfortable heating up the arrow to retrieve the insert. I suggested that the arrows be cut from the nock end and was told that it wasn't a good idea because that would effect the spine of the arrow.

Found something online that said if both shaft ends are tapered, you would cut from both ends evenly. Or, there is a theory that the middle section of shaft is straighter, therefore some people cut from each end. Other than that, unless it is arrow specific, couldn't find anything.

Comment

I wouldn’t think that it would effect the spine of the arrow. Some people actually cut an inch off the nock end and the rest off the point end, to try and obtain a better straightness tolerance. The ends tend to droop a bit in cheaper carbon shafts from what I read. I don’t have hands on experience with this, so somebody else’s opinion maybe more accurate. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the arrows were already cut and the inserts installed a dynamic spine was created. Therefore, any shortening of the shaft will result in a stiffening reaction. If the arrows were uncut 32’s which simply had the inserts installed then it’s no different than cutting the insert end to set the length just a little backwards. The FMJ is a parallel shaft and can be cut from either end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any shortening of a shaft from either end will effect spine.

Comment

I just cut 4" off the knock end of some carbons I had laying around for that very reason...already had inserts. I fletched them up, they shoot great...but, I shoot them from a longbow so they are fine for my set up.

Comment

Thank you everyone for confirming what I suspected.

The shop had me scratching my head.

Comment

It will absolutely affect the spine...... Just like cutting the point end....

Comment

While it may affect the spine, taking an inch or two off is negligible. Stiffer spine within reason won’t affect your arrow flight much, if any. I have shot 340s and 300s up to 30 yards with no affect except a little drop in point of impact from a bow that should have been shooting 400s. They were used and cheap and I used them for hogs.

Comment

Then grizzlystik TDT. Shaft is affected by which end you cut from. This is due to the shaft being a tapered shaft. The arrow is a .204 id. The taper is on the od. This means the reaction can be changed depending on which end you cut from. This is for this type of arrow only.

Comment

It definitely effects the spine. As in make it a stiffer spine. What I’m thinking is that they are set in there ways & goes against what they’ve always done, cut from the insert end. I’ve had a shop argue & argue with me when I wanted a stiffer spine arrow in a lighter weight, all because I’m loosing Kentic energy. So I just got in the habit when I bought arrows from them I’d just I want this arrow at this length & im not talking to you about it. ����

Comment

Working...
                      X