AC condenser not coming on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC condenser not coming on

3 ton goodman unit. A couple of weeks ago it was working normally but buzzing super loud. Even when power was turned off, it continued to buzz so i realized it was something to do with the thermostat. I replaced the contactor, where the sound was coming from, and the buzzing stopped. Unit came on but seemed to struggle to start and would sometimes kind of die and then start back up. I figured the capacitor was about to go out. Now today it will not come on at all. I checked the breaker. There is an identical unit, besides being 2 ton, on the other end of the house. So i pulled the capacitor off it to see if it would start the 3 ton unit. Nothing. Should that capacitor work on the 3 ton? Its a little smaller than the 3 ton capacitor. Thermostat is buzzing in the contactor like before but barely audible. What's next?

What is the sizes of the two capacitors proably will not work if the sizes are any different the 2 ton will have a smaller cap.

Comment

Pic with thumb is 3 ton
      Attached Files

Comment

Don’t think it will work !! You need to get the same cap. Usually a bad cap will be oily or the top of the cap. Would be swollen make sure your contactor is pulling in and check line voltage to unit make sure you have your 230 volt and check for melted or burnt wires you also may need a hard start kit along with the capacitor does your lights go dim in your house when the units come on for a few seconds.

Comment

Lights do not dim.

Comment

Quickest way to tell if the capacitor is going out is to see if you can spin the fan blade and if it starts up and runs it is your capacitor is bad. If nothing happens ohm out the fan motor. With out the fan motor the system will more than likely trip out on high pressure. Hope this helps

Comment

Yep. Get a stick and try to spin the fan to get it started (if you don't want to take the cover off).

Comment

Capacitor shows no visual signs of being bad. Manually jump starting fan produced no result. I guess tomorrow i will try to rule out the fan motor.

Comment

Make sure your getting the right voltage too. One leg of my service disconnect/breaker gave out last year and did the same thing.

Comment

What Smokeater said. Sounds like you don't have power. If the fan was bad, the compressor would still run. You would hear it. Need to check power with voltmeter.

If you get it running, get rid of those Chinese made capacitors. Those caps are only 5mfd apart, either one would run in either unit for test purposes.

Comment

Check your fuse in the air handler. Usually a 5amp fuse. If it's blown, you won't get the 24v to the times relay board.

Other thing it could be is the timed relay board.

Highly doubt it's your capacitor. Push in on your contactor and see if you get power and your fan to come on. If get power to the fan from pushing in on the capacitor and your fuse in the airhandler is ok, Check for 24v at the timed relay board. If you have it there, it's the board. They're about $15-20
                      Last edited by BBReezen; 06-05-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I will work through those items today and report back.

Comment

I would check you phone book for a A/C guy.

Good luck not a good time to be with out cold air.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                            I would check you phone book for a A/C guy.

Good luck not a good time to be with out cold air.
                            The temptation is there. It just really pains me to pay anyone to do anything. A penny saved is a penny earned. Our house is basically 2 halves, serviced by separate units, that can be closed off. So half of the house is still cold at least. HVAC is one spot where my DIY knowledge is lacking. However, it grows every time I have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                              The temptation is there. It just really pains me to pay anyone to do anything. A penny saved is a penny earned. Our house is basically 2 halves, serviced by separate units, that can be closed off. So half of the house is still cold at least. HVAC is one spot where my DIY knowledge is lacking. However, it grows every time I have a problem.
                              Same as me, I have electronics troubleshooting skills so I can usually track it down if it is something simple. Put a $20 part in and go. Now he Freon amd piper side of it, they can have at it

Comment

Working...
                              X