No announcement yet.

Another selfbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cut this yaupon this morning then shaved it down on two sides.
    Can someone tell me if I need to stop and let it dry out or can I keep shaping it?

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d let it dry. Green wood takes set badly. Also would pay to clamp it straight to a board as many clamps as you can get on it. Not sure about yaupon but it would also pay to take it inside to dry. Green, it would be an extremely sluggish bow.

Comment

Also like to add. You will definitely want to back that thing with some rawhide before you ever bend it. I see lots of knots and it ain’t Osage. Never heard of using yaupon but it drys really light weight. Less mass, more speed. Though holding it together will be the challenge. They say hackberry makes a great bow. Don’t know if you have much of that around.

Comment

Thanks Ken Ill clamp it to a 2x and try to sneak it in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
            Also like to add. You will definitely want to back that thing with some rawhide before you ever bend it. I see lots of knots and it ain’t Osage. Never heard of using yaupon but it drys really light weight. Less mass, more speed. Though holding it together will be the challenge. They say hackberry makes a great bow. Don’t know if you have much of that around.
            Hmm. I live close to Hackberry so more than likely theres some around. Ill check that out before I do any more to this.

Comment

Working...
            X