Age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age?

Here's a buck from the Junco. Sorry, can't show the rack, What does he need? 1 year or two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01705.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	24753002

Name:	DSC01711.JPG
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	24753003

Name:	DSC01713.JPG
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	24753004

Name:	DSC01746.JPG
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	24753005

2...doesn't the Junco have a 6 1/2 year age minimum on trophies? I think that is a 4 year old deer.

Comment

Have to see what kind of year he has next year. If the dry weather holds you may give him 2.

Comment

He is throwing me for a loop. His head looks like 4, but his body looks like 5

Comment

My best guess is a 4 1/2 yr old. Dont know how old yall want them, but I dont think 2 yrs. would hurt him none. JMO

Comment

1 year

Comment

is that a tumor on his chest in the last pic

Comment

When were the pictures taken? Is he a protein hog? What is your age requirement for harvest? How long is the photographic history of that deer and can we see any of the previous years pics?

Steve

Comment

PS: Based on what I see, Ill go 5.5. The deer down there have looked deceivingly young this year. They have all been in great shape, I assume due to the huge rainfall numbers early on.

Steve

Comment

I have him at 4.5. He looks like bigger than his age and am thinking Junco protein can make them look deceiving.
                    Last edited by Cull; 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I would say this deer is 5.5 and if your age requirement is 6.5 then you should only give him one more year......

Comment

I think he's 5.5... He's starting to get that roman nose look.. Tuthdoc, when were these pics taken? pre-rut? post-rut?

Comment

History: None. He was seen in the helo survey. I'm the only one that has seen him this year other than two long range views. I've had him in front of me at yardages down to 10 yards. He's a thoroughbred type deer. He's 6 inches taller than the other bucks he's come in with and a good bit longer, He's a coward. He wants nothing to do with bucks that even think they want to fight. My 12 point would show up and he'd leave the area pronto. There's a couple bucks that he'll stay around with, but nothing that even remotely looks dominant. He's perfectly in tact as of last weekend. I have hours of video, No protein. When I killed my 12, we went in and put up a feeder and pen right where I killed the deer. This buck lives in that area and hasn't been seen anywhere else.

The groups on the Junco have their own different rules, On our section, we try and let the deer reach 6 1/2, at least.

Comment

Needs 2 years.

Comment

This one is a little tricky....I can see 4.5 peak rut, 5.5 post rut.

The only catch is his hind qtrs. They appear very pointed to his tail (no roundness to the ham) - I typically only see this on 7+ yr old deer.

Couple questions...

1. Do you know this deer?
                              2. When were the pic's taken?
                              3. Does he have defined caluses on his knees? Indicator of a solid 6.5+ year old deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X