Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Any right handed left eye dominate shooters?

I recently posted a thread about shooting clays for the first time keeping score and how fun it was a couple of weeks ago. I went back this weekend and shot again and had a great time but am looking to get better.

I have been hunting since I can remember but have never really got into shooting except for sighting in a hunting rifle, shooting a bow at a target, and occasionally shooting pistols in the last 10 years. I did shoot a lot in my youth with a .22 open sight but other than that not much since.

After shooting these last couple of times I just figured out Iím a left eye dominate shooter who has always closed my left eye while shooting a shotgun and pistol.

With that being said is there anything yíall would recommend for me to correct what I have been doing for the last 30 years? I have been dry firing some pistols with both eyes open in my living room and my wife thinks I have lost it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

I have seen some use tape on their glasses over the dominant eye.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Me... I throw and write right handed, shoot left. My left eye is so much stronger it just feels natural.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

I just shoot lefty. It's actually easy for me to switch hands now

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
I have seen some use tape on their glasses over the dominant eye.

Iím going to try and shoot with both eyes open while using a pistol and shotgun but itís going to be weird. Iím not sure shooting with my right eye will hurt me shooting a scoped rifle but I could be wrong.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #6
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

I am, I now shoot everything left handed. I used an eyepatch for a few years but since I got my first LH bow I havenít looked back. It now feels awkward to shoot RH with a gun and bow. Worth the switch IMO.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgar View Post

It would feel like someone else was doing it if I did it with my left hand.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #8
Low Fence
Pope & Young

My daughter is. I’m just teaching her to shoot everything left handed. So far she instantly shoots 1000009x better left handed. I don’t think she has ever missed honestly with her .22 since going left and she was above average right handed. Just switched her shooting a kids bow lefty. Before I would have to stand behind and coach, now it’s like she’s been shooting for years. Since she don’t really know anything I figured it best to play to her strengths. But for an adult that’s done it years one way I can only imagine how difficult shooting 2 eyes open would be (which is better and safer)
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
My daughter is. Iím just teaching her to shoot everything left handed. So far she instantly shoots 1000009x better left handed. I donít think she has ever missed honestly with her .22 since going left and she was above average right handed. Just switched her shooting a kids bow lefty. Before I would have to stand behind and coach, now itís like sheís been shooting for years. Since she donít really know anything I figured it best to play to her strengths. But for an adult thatís done it years one way I can only imagine how difficult shooting 2 eyes open would be (which is better and safer)

While shooting sporting clays I can be dead on shooting 7 or 8 of 8 for a couple of stations and then the wheels come off and I will shoot 2 to 3 of 8. I understand some stations are easier than others but it seems to be the right to left targets eat my lunch.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
While shooting sporting clays I can be dead on shooting 7 or 8 of 8 for a couple of stations and then the wheels come off and I will shoot 2 to 3 of 8. I understand some stations are easier than others but it seems to be the right to left targets eat my lunch.

Your heads outrunning your gun, trying to catch up to a target with an eye closed. Left to right your head will be pushing the gun and stay more ďin checkĒ..... my guess
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #11
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I shoot a shotgun and a pistol with both eyes open. If you get in to the habit you'll get used to it. You've never had any trouble hitting anything with a rifle?
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 10:58 PM   #12
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Your heads outrunning your gun, trying to catch up to a target with an eye closed. Left to right your head will be pushing the gun and stay more ďin checkĒ..... my guess

That makes senses. I hunt under a big mesquite on a fence line while dove hunting and most of my birds are picked up on the right side.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #13
BW412
Six Point

My dad is. He switched to a left handed bow and never looked back. I also teach archery in my PE classes. I was surprised to see how many right handed people were left eyed dominant. I encourage them to at least try shooting left handed bows. Most of them end up staying with the lefty bows. Good luck!
BW412 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #14
44mAG
Eight Point

My wife is exactly that. I tried my hardest to make her shoot right handed but it never felt natural. I finally gave in and she shoots lefty like a pro.

44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 AM   #15
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Here... And I shoot bows and rifles left handed. I don't remember being coached to shoot rifles that way I just did it since my old bob gun days.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 01:06 AM   #16
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Default Any right handed left eye dominate shooters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I shoot a shotgun and a pistol with both eyes open. If you get in to the habit you'll get used to it. You've never had any trouble hitting anything with a rifle?

I have never missed anything with a scoped rifle until I said I have never missed anything with a scoped rifle on TBH.

First miss and second miss was this deer.

I hit him in the *** the third time he came to the feeder. Low fence 500 acres. I drove 9 HRs and Jumped in the stand at 4:00PM the day before anyone showed up so this is the best pic I have.

Last edited by Black Ice; 03-20-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:15 AM   #17
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

My buddy is right handed,left eye dominant. When we were kids he found out when we were walking around town shooting birds out of everyone's trees with our bb guns. He started shooting left handed and his accuracy improved. Not that he was ever really a bad shot but it became easier and now he can't even shoot right handed. At this stage in your life I think it'd be hard to make the switch but you might could. I'm almost blind in my left eye so....I'd try it and I'd know how difficult it is but I'm blind as a bat so my opinion wouldn't mean much. I guess if it'd make a difference all you can do is try.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:15 AM   #18
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I shoot a bow right handed, a rifle left handed. I am basically righ t handed but left eye dominant. I also shoot pool left handed.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:46 AM   #19
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Me, no issues. I can't do shiat with my left hand , so I never even considered trying to switch to wrong handed.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:58 AM   #20
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
I shoot a bow right handed, a rifle left handed. I am basically righ t handed but left eye dominant. I also shoot pool left handed.
This is me too. I even hold a pistol right handed and use my left eye. Wish I had tried a left handed bow, but it's a bit late for that now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #21
twostepct
Six Point

I am left eye dominant and right handed. On my clay shooting glasses I have a piece of matte scotch tape on each lens where I need the occlusion and have no issues. The way I did it was I shouldered my gun and then touched the lens in the place where I could no longer see the end of the barrel with my left eye. Then I used blue painters tape and adjusted the size and exact position I needed the occlusion to be. After it was set I put the scotch tape on the inside of the lens. Mine doesn't bother me at all. At first I thought it would cause an annoying blind spot but it is actually higher toward the corner of the lens toward the nosepiece that it really doesn't do much until I shoulder the gun.
twostepct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #22
MitchParker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get an invite

When I was a kiddo, I figured out that I was left eye dominant and started shooting everything left handed. It was an easy switch for me and my accuracy improved dramatically.
MitchParker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #23
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

My dad is right handed and does everything right handed except shoot a gun and shoot pool, which he can do with either hand. I can't even brush my teeth with my left hand.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #24
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Iím going to try and shoot with both eyes open while using a pistol and shotgun but itís going to be weird. Iím not sure shooting with my right eye will hurt me shooting a scoped rifle but I could be wrong.

I started shooting trad. Gear 8-9 years ago and since them started shooting everything with both eyes open. I am much better than I have ever been since starting that.
I am left handed ( throw and write) but pretty much everything else is right handed.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #25
MSU06
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jack Co

I fall in the same boat. I shot trap a lot growing up and never could shoot two eyed. I probably should have switched to left hand but never did. I carried a 96-97 average in singles and mid 90s in handicap but never could shoot doubles. I think that had a lot to do with shooting 1 eyed.

I see a lot of people shooting their bow with both eyes open too. I will never be able to do that.
MSU06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #26
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

@sambo73 is left handed and right eye dominant

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #27
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
@sambo73 is left handed and right eye dominant

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
That explains a lot!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #28
kc5rkg
Six Point

Hunt In: South TX

Me too. Right handed, but left eye dominant. My dad figured it out when I was pretty young so I just started shooting left handed when I was 6 or 7 years old. Been shooting left handed for almost 30 years now.
kc5rkg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:48 AM   #29
wilcox1088
Eight Point

I do everything right handed from writing to shooting my bow but I shoot a gun left handed and always have but have never shot a left handed gun
wilcox1088 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #30
Silvey
Six Point

Hunt In: Waelder TX, Crosby TX

I am, but I shoot with both eyes open and mostly shoot right handed. Cannot shoot a bow left handed, but wish I could.
Silvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #31
tpcollins
Eight Point

Hunt In: Local

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, and I still do everything right handed. Using a scope is not an issue even with some macular edema in my right eye.

With a bow, I found it easy to shoot with both eyes open. There was always a double set of pins and I just used the ones on the left - worked every time.

Using a handgun is a bit different - holding it out in front of me with both hands it winds up over on my left side in alignment with my left eye. I've adapted to this my entire life and never saw a need to change.
tpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #32
KRB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens

I am right hand left eye dominant , and I cant close my left eye either . I made the switch to shoot everything left hand , bow, shotgun, rifle etc. It took about a season to get comfortable , now its second nature and I shoot way more consistent.
KRB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #33
Legdog
Pope & Young

Iím also right handed and left eye dominant. I enjoy collecting left hand rifles and shotguns. Iíve always thought it was an advantage to hold and aim a bow or rifle in your dominant hand.

Legdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #34
Rat
Ten Point

A lot of good responses that pretty much cover the spectrum of weak/dominant eye shooting.

The general consensus is that using the dominate hand with the dominant eye is the way to go; obviously starting young helps with this, but people have successfully made the switch later in life as well.

I would encourage you to get a coach and try left handed shooting, just to see if you can make the switch and see how it feels. I think a coach is the best way to go when trying this as they can really pin point the areas where you need to work.

I have some students who have made the switch and some who just can't; they just aren't athletic enough lefty to get there. For those students we use occlusion measures, tape on shooting glasses, visors and in archery there is even a shield that can be put on the scope housing to block the dominant eye when using the weak eye to shoot. Will they ever be as good as they could have been if they had switched sooner, or younger? We will never know, but these measures do work.

I was left eye dominant but right handed when I was young; I learned to shoot and swing a bat lefty, but wrote and threw righty. When I was about 12 my eyes started going bad and me left eye went bad quicker than my right eye and I was now right eye dominant. I learned to shoot righty at that time and have shot that way since then. My eyes are still very close in dominance so I intentionally get my left side prescription weaker than my right to keep my right eye dominant.

The only way to know if you will be a better shot is to give it a try and see what happens.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #35
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

@sjaaaz is right handed and left eye dominant. Shoots a bow, gun, etc left handed...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #36
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

For shotgun and waterfowl hunting. $10 Home Depot safety glasses (I wear the sunglasses all the time) and a piece of electrical tape to block the pin when shouldered. I could trim it to 1/4 the size and it would still work. I have a yellow pair with 1/4Ē dots.

The blockage is low-left when Iím not shooting, not an issue.

Bill in San Jose is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #37
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

I am left eye dominant. I shoot guns, play pool, eat and write left handed. I throw, and bat right handed. I shoot my bow right handed. All my shooting is done with both eyes open. The only problem I have, is I cant shoot a left handed gun. I grew up with all the guns I used being right handed, so I just learned to shoot and work them. I actually bought a left handed rifle when I graduated college, and sold it shortly after cause I couldn't work the bolt good enough. Feel way more comfortable with right handed guns.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #38
Deerguy
Eight Point

I'm a weird one (in more than 1 aspect probably). I am left-eye dominant, and shoot a rifle and shotgun left-handed. Also write left-handed. But, I shoot a bow and a pistol right-handed, as well as throw, bowl, hammer, saw, and do most other things right-handed (more strength on the right side). Doing any of these things with the other hand is very awkward. About the only thing I can do ambidextrously is eat, which is probably just a function of being a lard*****.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #39
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I'm all messed up compared to some of you guys. I'm right eye dominant and shoot right handed. But, I write left handed. My parents and grandparents saw that I wrote left handed, threw balls left handed and they had a fit. I guess they figured I'd be a freak or something. Sooooo, they bought me a left handed glove and forced me to throw right handed. I still wrote left handed. So, by the time I got to high school I was quite competent at throwing a baseball either right or left handed. I even pitched a high school baseball game right handed and then came back in later and pitched left handed.

But now I strictly shoot right handed with both eyes open no matter what weapon I'm using. The GF is a little weird too, being left eye dominant and shoots right handed.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #40
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgar View Post

Same. My daughter is the same. So I bought her lefty rifles
My bow is lefty.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #41
mikebyrge
Eight Point

Hunt In: NW Louisiana

the clear-tape over the lens works. I'm right handed/left eyed but have always shot guns left handed.

I've always shot guns with both eyes open but as I have aged my left-eye isn't as dominate as it used to be and I sometimes see two "front sights". I keep clear tape in my shooting bag and just a small amount of distortion allows my left eye to take over but still keep depth-perception.

Not a big deal with rifles but really helps with handguns and shotguns.
mikebyrge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #42
LGLP
Ten Point

I strongly suggest that anyone shoot with their dominant eye OVER their dominant hand 100% of the time. You can compensate much easier with you hand than your eye...believe it or not! I have had the pleasure of training dozens and dozens, if not into the hundreds of youth and adults...and without fail I train them using their dominant eye whether it coincides with their dominant hand or not. From 6 years old to 60 this has worked without fail. On the other hand (no pun intended), trying to stay with one's dominant hand causes poi to vary greatly and very frustratingly.
It's all mind over matter...

Btw, most of the hunters/shooters I have dealt with are first timers...which is much easier to teach than say someone who has a lifetime of shooting. I would just say that the human body is capable of feats beyond our comprehension (as many, if not all of you, can attest!)...so switching is just a matter of minor short-term inconvenience. All this to say that these youngsters and (older) youngsters performed nearly flawlessly in the field, by shooting with their dominant eye...even if it was their opposite hand!!

Last edited by LGLP; 03-20-2018 at 12:51 PM.
LGLP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #43
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

I'm left Eye dominant, shoot a rifle left handed but a bow right handed. I throw a baseball right handed and a football left. I fish right handed but can only cast with my left. Sometimes when its something new, I have a hard time deciding which hand to use.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #44
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: young, county

I do some things left and some things right, when I was little and got my first bb gun physically the gun just felt right shooting right handed but I couldn't "wink" my left eye. Tried to shoot left but it just felt weird so I taught myself to wink my left eye. always closed my eye with a shotgun and been a decent shot and then decided to try and shoot with both open after hearing some people talk about it. It was weird but the day I tried it I missed 1 bird
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #45
goose48
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County

I am just like Deerguy, always shot rifles and shotguns left and pistols and bows right. I am left eye dominate. A few years ago I tore a tendon in the top of my right shoulder and I wanted to avoid surgery to draw my bow, so I switched to a left handed bow. Once I built up my strength it was no problem at all. I have also switched to shooting pistols left handed with no issues. I still do most everything else right handed. I guess a lot of us are "messed up" like that, LOL.
goose48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #46
BitBackShot
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano County

I bowhunt left-eyed (right hand holding, left hand drawing) and have a drastically stronger left eye, but I haven't switched my shooting with a rifle to reflect it. Just can't seem to get comfortable with it.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #47
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I'm right handed, but shoot all my long guns left handed as I am left eye dominant. However, I shoot a bow right handed, but can also shoot left handed bows right-handed style, just prefer right. Never has bothered me in any way or had to cover an eye when shooting. I shoot both eyes open for shotgun so it's not an issue.
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #48
tpcollins
Eight Point

Hunt In: Local

I think a lot of older people that were right handed and left eye dominant that didn't switch was due to the lack of left handed equipment being readily available 60 years ago, as they are now.

Actually it was a long time before I realized I was left eye dominant , and when I did I just sucked it up and lived with it. It really only affected my bowhunting as I didn't wing shoot very very much.
tpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #49
sandbill
Six Point

Hunt In: Montague County

Right-handed, left eye dominant here. By the time I realized it, my subconscious method of overcoming it seemed to be working ok.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #50
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Been that way forever, but I still shoot right handed (the use of a peep helped greatly) but shooting a shotgun can become laughable sometimes!
I have been doing it so long 40+ years that now when I do the dominant eye test, it goes back and forth between my left and right eye being dominant.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top