Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any right handed left eye dominate shooters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any right handed left eye dominate shooters?

I recently posted a thread about shooting clays for the first time keeping score and how fun it was a couple of weeks ago. I went back this weekend and shot again and had a great time but am looking to get better.

I have been hunting since I can remember but have never really got into shooting except for sighting in a hunting rifle, shooting a bow at a target, and occasionally shooting pistols in the last 10 years. I did shoot a lot in my youth with a .22 open sight but other than that not much since.

After shooting these last couple of times I just figured out I’m a left eye dominate shooter who has always closed my left eye while shooting a shotgun and pistol.

With that being said is there anything y’all would recommend for me to correct what I have been doing for the last 30 years? I have been dry firing some pistols with both eyes open in my living room and my wife thinks I have lost it[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen some use tape on their glasses over the dominant eye.

Comment

Me... I throw and write right handed, shoot left. My left eye is so much stronger it just feels natural.

Comment

I just shoot lefty. It's actually easy for me to switch hands now

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          I have seen some use tape on their glasses over the dominant eye.

I’m going to try and shoot with both eyes open while using a pistol and shotgun but it’s going to be weird. I’m not sure shooting with my right eye will hurt me shooting a scoped rifle but I could be wrong.

Comment

I am, I now shoot everything left handed. I used an eyepatch for a few years but since I got my first LH bow I haven’t looked back. It now feels awkward to shoot RH with a gun and bow. Worth the switch IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
              I just shoot lefty. It's actually easy for me to switch hands now

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

It would feel like someone else was doing it if I did it with my left hand.

Comment

My daughter is. I’m just teaching her to shoot everything left handed. So far she instantly shoots 1000009x better left handed. I don’t think she has ever missed honestly with her .22 since going left and she was above average right handed. Just switched her shooting a kids bow lefty. Before I would have to stand behind and coach, now it’s like she’s been shooting for years. Since she don’t really know anything I figured it best to play to her strengths. But for an adult that’s done it years one way I can only imagine how difficult shooting 2 eyes open would be (which is better and safer)

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  My daughter is. I’m just teaching her to shoot everything left handed. So far she instantly shoots 1000009x better left handed. I don’t think she has ever missed honestly with her .22 since going left and she was above average right handed. Just switched her shooting a kids bow lefty. Before I would have to stand behind and coach, now it’s like she’s been shooting for years. Since she don’t really know anything I figured it best to play to her strengths. But for an adult that’s done it years one way I can only imagine how difficult shooting 2 eyes open would be (which is better and safer)

While shooting sporting clays I can be dead on shooting 7 or 8 of 8 for a couple of stations and then the wheels come off and I will shoot 2 to 3 of 8. I understand some stations are easier than others but it seems to be the right to left targets eat my lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                    While shooting sporting clays I can be dead on shooting 7 or 8 of 8 for a couple of stations and then the wheels come off and I will shoot 2 to 3 of 8. I understand some stations are easier than others but it seems to be the right to left targets eat my lunch.

Your heads outrunning your gun, trying to catch up to a target with an eye closed. Left to right your head will be pushing the gun and stay more “in check”..... my guess

Comment

I shoot a shotgun and a pistol with both eyes open. If you get in to the habit you'll get used to it. You've never had any trouble hitting anything with a rifle?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        Your heads outrunning your gun, trying to catch up to a target with an eye closed. Left to right your head will be pushing the gun and stay more “in check”..... my guess

That makes senses. I hunt under a big mesquite on a fence line while dove hunting and most of my birds are picked up on the right side.

Comment

My dad is. He switched to a left handed bow and never looked back. I also teach archery in my PE classes. I was surprised to see how many right handed people were left eyed dominant. I encourage them to at least try shooting left handed bows. Most of them end up staying with the lefty bows. Good luck!

Comment

My wife is exactly that. I tried my hardest to make her shoot right handed but it never felt natural. I finally gave in and she shoots lefty like a pro.

Comment

Here... And I shoot bows and rifles left handed. I don't remember being coached to shoot rifles that way I just did it since my old bob gun days.

Comment

Working...
                              X