Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stringing a Recurve

Evening all.
    I recently procured a cheap recurve bow, and have a bit of a silly question.
    When stringing the bow does it matter if the large loop is set on the top or bottom limb?
    The reason I ask is because I took the bow to a big box sporting goods store, and asked for guidance on setting the knock point and brace height. I had the string looped with the large loop on, the bow tech turned the loop over strung the bow and placed set a brass knock for me...no charge.
    Being a rookie, I'm wondering if it really matters, or should I take the brass knock off, and re set it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Big loop generally goes on top, but I honestly can't say that is a requirement

Comment

It is supposed to go on top but it effectively doesn't matter

Comment

Big loop goes on top so when you unstring the bow you can slide the string down the bow.

Comment

It does not matter, and won’t hurt anything, but the loop is made bigger so that when you unstring the bow it will slide down the limb. Most everybody has the large loop on the top for this reason.

Bisch

Comment

String center servings are generally "not centered" on the string.

There is almost always more serving below center, than above, and the large loop "is" the top loop.

Yes, you can flip it over, and it will normally work, but it can lead to problems if there isn't enough serving below your fingers.

Rick

Comment

Big loop goes on top. The center serving is positioned on the string assuming that the big loop is on the top limb. It may shoot ok and there may be enough serving to put a nockset on the serving and still have room for fingers, or maybe not.

Comment

I would not trust anyone at a big box store to set up anything. Find a decent archery shop or a friend to help you.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    This

Comment

Go to a real archery shop. Large loop goes on the upper limb.

Always use a bow stringer. And step on it’s string with both your feet.

Never draw a bow without an arrow nocked. Eliminates dry fires destroying your bow. If it’s not safe to draw it with an arrow, don’t.

Sign up and pay for 3-5 lessons from an NAA certified instructor.

My advise, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X