X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our neighbors to the south cull em before their first birthday

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
      Another reason we kill almost mature “culls” is they can and will dominate, drive off or even kill young bucks with great potential.

Watching 8-10 bucks in a road and this 115” 8 point was bullying everyone of them.

Maybe he would have got a little bigger but he’s still 30” smaller than 3-4 year old he was jacking with .
      Boom, dead.
      I buy that reason. We have had that issue a couple times. Legit culling.

Comment

We manage to a desired density and shoot bucks out of all age classes. Our biggest bucks express their potential very early.

Comment

I don’t shoot any 1.5s. I will shoot 2.5s if they have no brows. 3.5s if less than 8 points. 4.5s if not better than an 8. This works for me as I am high fenced and have to take off a certain amount every year. As to brow tines, biologists say that brow tines or lack thereof are the trait that is most likely to be passed on to a bucks offspring.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            ...at least 4 unless it's an obvious rat, then 3. No reason to shoot deer any younger in most cases.
            100% agree.

Comment

Of note, I'd rather kill a thick beamed 4yo buck who's a cull than a 2yo buck any day. I love big old deer.

Comment

4 year olds

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  ...at least 4 unless it's an obvious rat, then 3. No reason to shoot deer any younger in most cases.
                  This - but a lot depends on where you are hunting and the make up of your deer herd and the goals for your property

Comment

Originally posted by B&C View Post
                    We manage to a desired density and shoot bucks out of all age classes. Our biggest bucks express their potential very early.
                    agree - our trophy bucks show themselves at age 2 or 3 - we have followed many of them over the years on our LF lease -

On our place if it is an 8 point at age 3 or 4 then he will die -we have way too many 10 -20 point bucks to let an 8 point ride - and NO we do not "change" genetics by doing so. But we sure keep a crappy 8 point from breeding a doe that could be bred by a much better buck

Comment

Our rule is 4 and that gives them all the benefit of the doubt.
                      But I think we might be more effective if we took some of the 'no-brainers" at 3 years.

Comment

Deer University has an interesting podcast by professors from Mississippi State University about culling and recent studies by biologists. You can find it on Google.

Comment

Comment

3.5 on the high fence pasture, that's been under intense management for 10 years plus. Took many years to have the luxury to" cull " a 3 yr old.

On our Low Fence pastures we do not cull, as I'm a firm believer there is no such thing in an environment you can't control. We shoot what we like and just try to get some age on everything and see what happens.

Comment

3 years old for 7pt on down. 8's at 4 and 9pt or better at least 5 years.

Comment

Your deer herd is only as good as your worst looking buck.

Comment

Working...
                                X