Battling cut ants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battling cut ants

I can sure tell it is dry and cut ants have aimed at my trees. I was spraying trees in my yard late last night, the ants do not like he high temps of the day and wait till 10 pm or so to get active. I have two sugar Maples that are about 10 inches across at the base and them ants was after them. I treated the trees and went out this morning and the ants are gone. Now I have another mound of them working on my bird feeders, I bet there is 2 pounds of bird seed in a straight line to the mound. Have not had them this bad in a long time.

I use 1 ounce of Conquer to 1 gallon of water and spray direct on the trees, it is the only insecticide I have found that takes care of them.

Try Bifen It. Mix per label and put a good amount in the hole.

Comment

Ain’t it fun?!?!? Had a problem up until a couple of years ago and then they stopped coming from the other yards. I’m guessing the neighbors put plants in their yards.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
        Ain’t it fun?!?!? Had a problem up until a couple of years ago and then they stopped coming from the other yards. I’m guessing the neighbors put plants in their yards.
        I guess it got so dry that there is not enough food sources for them.

I wish I could train them to eat Bull Nettles and Sand Burs

Comment

I've battled all types of ants over the years on our 3.7 acres and everything I've tried just resulted in them moving to a new spot. About 7 months ago I bought Taurus Sc that was recommended to me by one of my customers. This stuff is no joke and wiped them out and haven't seen them since. We had a lot of fire ant, cutter ant and crazy ant mounds. Some of the cutter ant mounds got so big that I ended up with some big holes when they collapsed in on themselves. I bought it off amazon and here is a link to it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

I can't remember where I got this, but it has worked for me.

16 oz Grape Nut Flakes
            4 oz water
            8 table spoons Orthene 75 SP
            1 1gal zip lok bag

Mix ingredients and pour around the colony.

Comment

Had a bug guy tell me the best thing to do is run them out of town by pouring gasoline down the hole...one of the hardest insects to kill off is what he said.

Multiple mounds covering a big area is the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                Had a bug guy tell me the best thing to do is run them out of town by pouring gasoline down the hole...one of the hardest insects to kill off is what he said.

Yes sir, the mounds are huge underground. They take the leaves they cut under the ground and eat the mold off of them later. I bet I tried 10 different insecticides before I bribed the pest control guy for a name. He told me Conquer and it works.

I never did try the gasoline trick, I was afraid I might blow up the yard.

Comment

Gasoline is what I use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I was a kid, sometimes coons lived in holes under the ground. You could always tell a ground coon from a tree coon cause the belly hair would be orange, that old red dirt would stain the hair. They was smart cause they would have several exit holes to escape from.

Me and another knucklehead filled that den with gasoline and lit it. They was fire shot out of the ground in about 5 places and you could feel the thunder come up through your legs. Scared us real bad, we put out fires all over hell. Nary a coon come out

Comment

I managed to get rid of them this year. I go out after dark, follow their trails and fill the holes with Demon, enough to get down into the eggs so they don't hatch. I quit spraying them directly except early this year when the yard was full of those winged ones(queen?)I sprayed the snot out of those everyday for about a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

Put a little sugar on them nettles Jeff. Ain’t ever seen an ant turn down sugar.

Comment

A place I used to live had a big colony of them right in front of where I was gonna put my single wide. I backed up there one day and ran about 20/30 gallons of diesel on their condo out of my fuel tank. I guess it killed them all, next time it rained that area sunk three or four feet. I had to fill it up with dirt twice over a couple years time. They never came back.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

That would be nice! I do not have any leaf cutters around my place. Those are hardy ants. I do have a bunch of Texas harvester ants - those great big red ones that are preferred by Texas Horned Lizards. I don't have any horned lizards, though.

Comment

Working...
                            X