Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
    I like it! We have pictures of this buck last year from April until the end of July and then we never saw him again. I hope he stays so we can go after him. He may not have great antlers, but he is unique and really old.
    He is a cool buck for sure!

Comment

Looking good, some good growth on those bucks

Comment

You are living my dream!!!!!

Comment

inspiring

Comment

7/30/2016 Update

we really need some rain out there. They ate 1,000lbs of protein out of our 1,000ASF trough in 2 weeks. It's hard to keep the feeders full when they are eating this much.

Comment

we really need some rain out there. They ate 1,000lbs of protein out of our 1,000ASF trough in 2 weeks. It's hard to keep the feeders full when they are eating this much.
              Yes sir it is definitely dry! We haven't had a rain on our place in SE Mason County since the 2nd of June. Doesn't take long for it to dry out in the Hill Country.

Comment

We really need to start trapping or trying to get rid of some raccoons. We have two 300lb barrel feeders with the big circular varmint cages around them, but the raccoons are still able to reach in even though the cages are around 21in wide. We filled these two barrel feeders on 6/25/16 and cranked the spin time down to 3 seconds. One feeder goes off in the AM and the other goes off in the PM, so each feeder goes off once a day. We checked the feeders yesterday and they are both empty. I would have thought they would have lasted around 2 1/2 months. I'm going to have to figure out these varmint cages and prevent this from happening again. Any thoughts?

Comment

PVC leggings.
                  All my coon photos are underneath the feeder.

BP

Comment

I know some people don't like going the marlin route, but it really puts the dent in the population fast. Just build a contraption where the deer or turkeys can't get to it, only the coons. I've killed hundreds in the last few years and never get pics of coons anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                      PVC leggings.
                      All my coon photos are underneath the feeder.

BP
                      Do you have pictures showing how you mount them? Also, what size PVC do you use?

Comment

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

We really need to start trapping or trying to get rid of some raccoons. We have two 300lb barrel feeders with the big circular varmint cages around them, but the raccoons are still able to reach in even though the cages are around 21in wide. We filled these two barrel feeders on 6/25/16 and cranked the spin time down to 3 seconds. One feeder goes off in the AM and the other goes off in the PM, so each feeder goes off once a day. We checked the feeders yesterday and they are both empty. I would have thought they would have lasted around 2 1/2 months. I'm going to have to figure out these varmint cages and prevent this from happening again. Any thoughts?

Eliminator spinner plates work for me. I don't have cages and my feeders are on 3' legs. I occasionally have one hanging from it, but have significantly less feed loss than the one feeder that has a cage and regular spinner plate. I've had them in the field for 4+ years with no issues. Here's a picture of one of my feeders.

Last edited by tommy1005; 07-31-2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Get a roll of 1" wire mesh in the fencing section of Home Depot. Build the varmint cage the same circumference as the barrel. Then you just cut a panel out to access your feeder controls and cover with an additional oversized piece of mesh.

Comment

The eliminator plates work well also

Comment

Good looking place!

Comment

x100 on the eliminator plates.

Comment

Working...
                                X