Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decibel meter

Comment

Experimenting with silencer placement at L/6 and L/10, with “L” being string length between touch points on belly. This gave me a tic up in speed and equal or better noise reduction than 1/3 and 3/4 placement. So in my case L = 56, so 5.6” and 9.33”. Seems strange to have silencers so close to tips, but to my ears and eyes seems a bit better. I’ll test it on my recurve, as well as it will be slightly different placement even with same AMO length.

Comment

Final adjustment of SS to 18.3% (10.248”) for 56” string. Extremely quiet and quite quick. My 660-700 grain arrows are moving out nicely.

Comment

Just adjusted the big wool puff on my Kota 62” D-shaped longbow and the noise dampening was amazing. Speed was quick as well. Guess material is not as critical as measurement in the equation.

Comment

They will go with your new hat from Dan and George!!

Comment

I’ll perhaps add a bit of brown or tan. Good to hear from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                I have been partial to Qiviut for years as it is light and sheds water very well. Gonna give PC a try and if it performs as advertised the cost savings would be substantial.
                Try some doug fir, good arrow weight and durable. Get them tapered.
                I use neck hairs from my cow bison, works much like qiviut.

I have a bunch of neck hairs from my cow bison if anyone would like some. I could send it down and you all could pass it around to anyone interested.

Comment

I have Red Balau (660 grains for 29” naked shafts) and heavy tapered Cedars coming. Pam thanks for the bag of Bison hair. I’ll put some in the mix and try it out. Anyone else want a handful shot me a PM with address.

Comment

The bison hairs add a little different texture when mixed with other material.
                    Now I'm thinking I need to tweak my silencer placement, I have some time in camp while the spouse is chasing elk. I'll be able to shoot in hunting conditions without being out in the timber where the elk are.I'm sure my bow will sound quite different than in the backyard.
                    I shoot bois d'arc footed doug fir shafts.

Comment

I make my own silencers out of yarn. They have worked great for years.

Comment

Paracord is quite a bit lighter than yarn which increases string speed a bit.

Comment

Working...
                        X