Does anyone else make "stuff"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else make "stuff"?

In my family, we have always had big gardens, and when the stuff starts ripening, we look for ways to use it, before it goes bad.

We make something called "stuff" from the garden. Basically a mixture of onions, tomatoes, and cucumbers, but sometimes enhanced with peppers and cilantro, if we want the "stuff" to be more like salsa.

Basic "stuff" is great on black-eyed peas or red beans, with a side of corn bread. I also use on cheese sandwiches.

Here is the basic recipe:
    Equal volumes of the following, usually from the garden.
    Chopped onions.
    Chopped cucumbers.
    Chopped tomatoes.

Salt and vinegar to taste, then some sugar to cut the vinegar.

Let set in the fridge for 12 hours, then adjust salt, sugar, and vinegar, to taste.

Advanced "stuff" includes cilantro and blanched jalapenos. Do the basic recipe, then add cilantro and blanched jalapenos, to taste. Depending on how much you add, can transform basic "stuff" to nearly cucumber flavored salsa, to full on salsa.

Cook some beans/peas and cornbread. Mix accordingly, then add generous amounts of "stuff". I can eat this, twice a day, for weeks.

Sounds like gardenera ( spelling?) good stuff !

Comment

I make cucumber/tomato salad all the time during the growing season. Basically the same as you posted but we eat it as a side dish. Cukes, tomato, onion, cilantro, red wine vinegar....(and whatever else you want to throw in). All rough chop. Various peppers as well

Comment

rockafella salad

Comment

My son and I both eat this like candy, straight from the jar/bowl that it is in. So, it is a side dish and a snack.

Comment

I bet that is delicious with some cornbread

Comment

Working...
            X