2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Man, y'all don't go promotin' that Eden gardening stuff!! I gotta justify this dang tractor and all the implements I have!!
    HAHA there is always a reason to need a tractor.....could you just remind me what it is so i can convince my wife on it please!

Comment

Here is ours.. I built it, the wife does most all the work regarding the plants
      Attached Files

Comment

Great pics ateague11!

Comment

Planted a few in pots yesterday, new house so my planters didnt make the move and with a 5 mo. old planter aren't getting built any time soon... going with pots this year back to planters next i guess

Comment

Originally posted by Part Timer View Post
            Great pics ateague11!
            Thank you!

Comment

Question for the gardeners here that put up borders. Keep in mind.. I am a gal and need the easy button on saws, chopping, cutting, etc. I have a bed that is 12 x 12. I would like a border that will last a loooooooong time... Was considering crossties only to find out they are not 12 ft long. I'd like something I don't have to trim down to fit that dimension... Any ideas on the easy side?

Comment

I built my wife's bed border out of treated 2X10's, but if you don't want that high, you could use 2X8 or 2X6... I used those 90 degree storm plates and galvanized screws. It's been up almost 6 years and still going strong... You can get standard 2X_ lumber standard in 12 footers... Lowe's or HD may not have 'em but a real lumber yard will have 'em... McCoy's or Sutherlands, etc. They're heavy, but not as heavy as cross ties!!

Comment

I made GREAT progress today!! Got the rows plowed. Wife will start planting tomorrow! We might just make this happen!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	24534609

Name:	IMG_7451.jpg
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	24534610

Name:	IMG_7447.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	24534611

Name:	IMG_7446.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	24534612

Comment

Wow! Looks great

Comment

Birds wore me out last year on the tomatoes. Built a pvc loop cover today that is retractable and covered with deer netting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]901397[/ATTACH]
                        Originally posted by brazos hunter View Post
                        the best advice i can offer is to sell your tiller! A few years ago we tried the “back to eden” gardening method because our little garden just would not produce the results we were looking for. Without a doubt it was the best thing i have ever tried.

I started with a 14x20 garden bringing in just a little over 1 ton of organic compost spreading it to @ 5-6” thick. I then brought in right at a ton of organic mulch spreading it over the compost. I could type and go into detail but i will let the video that turned me onto it speak for me. The best part, i can travel weeks on end and still have a lush garden!

i haven't looked at this thread in a while and was pleased to find this reference to the 'back to eden' approach. I've been loosely following the principles for a few years mostly using thick layers of alfalfa hay over compost and continuing the lasagna layering every year. But this year i'm going all in. I've ordered 80 cubic yards of wood chips not only for my existing garden but to build a couple new beds as well. I love watching the videos by paul gautschi and have learned a lot.

Here is a long view of my garden. 8 rows 40'x 4 ' . Just starting the spring planting though keep it going year round. All organic and all buy completely weed free. Rarely water.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Comment

Here is a bit better picture a little closer. As of now growing in the garden:
                          red, white and yellow onions, red, yellow, purple and orange bell peppers, tomatoes, 3 generations of spinach, rutabagas, green onions, tabasco pepper, carrots, collards, red mustards, broccoli, cauliflower, napa cabbage, regular cabbage, red cabbage, 4 kinds of kale, endive, beets, radishes, sugar snaps and 3 kinds of garlic. And of course one bed dedicated just to asparagus which we've just started picking.

Basically a maintenance free garden that keeps getting better.

And we are just getting started. Love this time of year!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by elgato; 03-19-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Man, I'm jealous of yalls gardens! I'm doing my first ever garden this year, just now got everything planted.

Elgato, what is the cattle panel dome for?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                              Man, I'm jealous of yalls gardens! I'm doing my first ever garden this year, just now got everything planted.

Elgato, what is the cattle panel dome for?
                              I plant cherry tomatoes on each side. Yellow on one side red on the other. They will literally meet at the top . I use standard cattle panels tied to T post for the rest of the tomatoes.

Comment

Looking good guys. Like a lot of you I fell behind this spring. Cu's and Zuch's barely starting to sprout. Still need to get my beans and corn in the ground. Earlier this year we started harvesting our cauliflower, grew a few different varieties.

[ATTACH]901589[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]901590[/ATTACH]

We pulled our last broccoli Dec. 31, they came in pretty early. Carrots should be ready in the next few weeks. We liked them so much last year that we planted 3 times in 3 week intervals.

We had a good snow pea harvest, love them. They are pretty much done, letting the last few get bid on the vine to dry up to get some seed.

[ATTACH]901591[/ATTACH]

Really excited over my artichoke, 1 of 3 that made it the year and a half its taken to flower.

[ATTACH]901592[/ATTACH]

For all the first timers, good luck and don't get discourage. Every season is a learning experience, I can't get enough, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X