No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa wants to let TPWD run the hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was drawn for the 12/02 - 12/06 archery hunt. Reading here looks like its gonna be a hard hunt. Cant wait for it to get here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

"Yup I hate that they went to the online system too. Sucks that the people that were already putting in and hunting there odds of drawing went so far down."

Odds will be much better in a couple years once the majority of the 1st timers realize just how unfriendly and unproductive the refuge can be. Lol

Comment

I got drawn for 11/25-11/29 as well. It'll be a long drive for me so any and all advice is greatly appreciated

Comment

Yep I agree with yall on the online draw thing. I hunt a local wma heavily and now can't get drawn for deer to save my life. Half of those drawn don't ever make the hunt. Which means there are many local hunters left out that know the area and can contribute to the taking of the alloted numbers needed. This will be our first time hunting Laguna but I can assure you that we are not newb hunters and will hunt hard the whole time. We are greatful for the opportunity and will take full advantage of it. This includes asking some of you locals for any tips or help you would be willing to share. Please feel free to post or pm if you would. Thanks

Comment

Hello, I am new to the forum and came across this thread. I too was fortunate enough to be drawn for the November 25-29th dates at the LAWR. I have never hunted there before and would really appreciate any advice anyone would be willing to share. Not looking for spots, just what to expect really. Thanks!

Comment

Got picked for the Nov 25-29 also.

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                Yep I agree with yall on the online draw thing. I hunt a local wma heavily and now can't get drawn for deer to save my life. Half of those drawn don't ever make the hunt. Which means there are many local hunters left out that know the area and can contribute to the taking of the alloted numbers needed. This will be our first time hunting Laguna but I can assure you that we are not newb hunters and will hunt hard the whole time. We are greatful for the opportunity and will take full advantage of it. This includes asking some of you locals for any tips or help you would be willing to share. Please feel free to post or pm if you would. Thanks
                Talk to Hobratsch

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                  Deer population good. It's up to you to drive 10 hours. Yes, you will probably see nilgai. No mandatory orientation that I know of. No camping allowed at the refuge, but there is a state park at Arroyo city you can camp. There are some hotels/motels in Laguna Heights and Port Isabel, about a 20-30 minute drive from the refuge.
                  I got drawn for the archery nigai, Is there any tips you can pass along?

Comment

Originally posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
                    I got drawn for the archery nigai, Is there any tips you can pass along?
                    Find some areas where there are nilgai scat piles. Look for the fresher scat. Set up about 20-30 yards. Nilgai tend to reuse the same pile.

Comment

Find some areas where there are nilgai scat piles. Look for the fresher scat. Set up about 20-30 yards. Nilgai tend to reuse the same pile.
                      Any certain section better than others?

Comment

Originally posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
                        Any certain section better than others?
                        3 and 8

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

3 and 8

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
                          would love to talk to you to get a better idea of what to expect as my wife is coming is there a way to contact you? I can't Pm as I am too new.

Comment

There are scouting days for a reason lol. If people keep posting unit numbers all 252 people will be in the same spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                              There are scouting days for a reason lol. If people keep posting unit numbers all 252 people will be in the same spot.
                              Yeah with over a 9 hour drive one way plus already taken off for the hunt plus any of my other hunts makes it hard to get down there and scout! If I was closer I would have already done it.

Comment

Are the hunters drawn on the TPWD draw actually showing up to hunt, is there a lot of no shows? Any increase in the number of crossbow hunters?

Comment

Working...
                                X