No announcement yet.

How would you invest $40k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your mortgage interest is more than what you think you can get a return on by other means, then pay off mortgage principle first, especially if you are already in your forever home. If you think you can make more some other way, then put the money there.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      Show me any “ranch” you can buy for $40k.

I’m pretty sure he was being facetious. If you can’t tell that I was as well, then you need to recalibrate the sarcasm meter.

Comment

Ira

Comment

I’d invest in a dividend stock like NLY and take my 10% dividend and make Land payments with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
            land, land and land. will always be less of it, never more.
            I am an old guy and missed the chance you have.
            I would take that money and buy a lot/ or couple of acres with potential.
            Sell, Then flip the profits and $40K for another tract, etc. sound investment, and little risk. Just make sure you buy at the right price.

I bought my track and never flipped it. So now I have a tract worth much more, but no more money in the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
              Land around me is $3k-$6k/acre. No matter 1 acre or 1000000 acres it's all land. If land is $2k/acre in his neck of the woods buy 20 acres. That 20 acres will be worth more later. If I had $40k laying around I would buy 1 or 2 of the 10 acre lots that join my current 90 acres.
              Exactly

Comment

If it were mine I would start by taking only 10k and flipping used cars and trucks . Id work hard on growing that 10k and if things went really well Id take out another 10k to increase my inventory

Comment

With discipline,persistence and determination.. You should never have less than 40k again

Comment

I would put everything towards debt...if that wasn't the case the $$$$/balance would be put into collectable and/or flipping firearms.

Comment

If you're not in debt, buy up all the Colt Pythons you can find and keep them for another 20 years, then sell them lol.

I'd buy a piece of property somewhere or put into a Roth IRA.

Comment

A lot of questions before I can give advice.

Start by paying off any high interest or non-tax deductible interest.

After that depends. How many kids and how is their college fund? Could put in a 529 for tax free growth. How's retirement account look? Could boost it. Any home upgrades needed that will increase home value? Trade any stocks? How diversified are you? If you're good in those why not gamble 5-10k of it on crypto currencies? Otherwise I would invest in the market. Doesn't take long to get 40k fully invested if you're picking up stocks like apple, amazon, Facebook, etc.
                        Last edited by BigL; 05-10-2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                          A lot of questions before I can give advice.

Start by paying off any high interest or non-tax deductible interest.

After that depends. How many kids and how is their college fund? Could put in a 529 for tax free growth. How's retirement account look? Could boost it. Any home upgrades needed that will increase home value? Trade any stocks? How diversified are you? If you're good in those why not gamble 5-10k of it on crypto currencies? Otherwise I would invest in the market. Doesn't take long to get 40k fully invested if you're picking up stocks like apple, amazon, Facebook, etc.

Great advice here!

Bitcoin is set to be listed on the NYSE in the future. Could be a lot of new money flowing into crypto.

Skinny

Comment

Low expense ratio index funds/ETFs

Comment

I’m building a shop.....

Comment

To answer ssome questions, I do haved 2 kids but college is already taken care of and the only debt I have is some mortgage

Comment

Working...
                                X