A-max fragmenting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-max fragmenting

I shot a doe this past weekend with kids 243 at 85 yrds and picked about 1/3 of the copper jacket out of the exit shoulder. Is this the norm with this bullet? The load is at the hot end of the load manual.

Yes. Crap bullet as far as weight retention. Not really it's purpose though. High BC, accuracy, etc..are its goal.
    Last edited by MadHatter; 11-15-2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Yes a small fast amax will have explosive results. It wasn't built to hold together like that of a thicker jacketed or even bonded hunting bullet.

Here's the results from a doe shot at 200 yards with a 80 grain 22 call eld-m launched at 3000 fps.

I also have a picture of a fallow doe with the eyes popped out and skull cap gone but won't post it here due to its graphic nature.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171231_183132.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	24560224

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s what they do

Comment

Basically a match bullet, would use something else for hunting.

Comment

If Hornady is your preferred brand, an SST or GMX bullet would be a much better choice. Even the American hunter stuff is better for hunting purposes. I use the SST's in several rifles and have had good results with them on deer and pigs.

Comment

I’m thinking of going back to the Nosler ballistic tips, Yes they do a lot of damage but they hold together in my experience and get the job done.

Comment

How are these Amax pills at subsonic speeds in 300blkout?

Comment

I can see the little 85gr Amax coming apart on that doe, a typical example of a light jacketed bullet driven at high speed.

I have shot a ton of 105gr Amax's through a fast twisted 243 Win I built and the older pre "amp" jacketed bullets would come apart in flight and never make it to the target. Havent had that problem since Hornady uses a better jacket on the amax now

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                    How are these Amax pills at subsonic speeds in 300blkout?
                    That's what I shoot out of my 300 Blk. I've only used them for head shooting pigs. It works fine for that. I have killed two pigs with one shot. It was sort of unintentional but passed through the first pigs head and hit another in the neck.

Comment

Hornady bullets and multiple other products are definitely not the best around. I have never been a fan of Hornady rifle bullets or dies. I have read a lot about guys complaining about Hornady bullets fragmenting. I have tried many brands of bullets for hunting, but never hunted with Hornady, never liked the results I got just shooting paper.

Comment

I don't believe the bullet was intended for shooting game. They are target bullets.

Comment

The A-MAX is now the ELD it's a target bullet. The ELD-X is the hunting version of the A-MAX and I've had very good luck with it at both long (800 yds) and short (50 yds) range out of a 308.

Comment

AMax is a thin jacket bullet intended for long range target shooting.
                            ELDX is not the replacement. ELDM would be closer to an AMax replacement.

Comment

The A max works great when driven at the right speed . I have used it to kill many white tail and mule deer Elk as well . Again the right FPS round . I used it for a 300 RUM back when that round was new and box ammo was not like it is today .

This is off another LR site and I feel its very well written so I copied it vs re typing all of it I feel that the guy got it right as my finding where what he has posted .

Hornady’s 178 grain A-Max works exceptionally well on light bodied game. On game weighing between 90 and 150kg (200-330lb), the A-Max does its best work at impact velocities below 3100fps or 90 yards from a MV of 3300fps, producing wide wounding out to ranges of around 1160 yards. But for true long range hunting as well as for general work on medium game at all ranges, the 208 grain A-Max has the greatest strengths. The 208 grain A-Max is perfectly adequate for game as light as 40kg (88lb) upwards. Poor penetration is to be expected on large bodied game at close ranges, especially so at impact velocities above 2900fps. Below 2900fps, penetration is fair. Below 2600fps, the A-Max is able to produce a more uniform cluster of fragments with the potential to produce a deep, central wound channel on large bodied game weighing between 90 and 320kg (200-700lb), with the capacity to tackle somewhat heavier body weights as velocities fall below 2200fps. Driven at 3100fps and with a high BC of .648, the 208 grain A-Max is capable of producing fast kills, with room for error, out to a range of around 1400 yards (1400fps).

With that siad I have never used it in a small caliber only in weights of 178 and heavier . The point is the animal is dead right ?? The round did what it should have . I mean I had a soft point round on the 243 punch a pig small hole in and out pig ran maybe 75 yards ( honest distance ) . Shoot another pig same spot with a target bullet and it dropped on the spot .. Either way the game is dead and the job was completed .

Last year shot a decent size 8 at 378 yards almost 100 broad side with a 308 SST round . Heart lung shoot the deer took maybe 3 steps dropped .. NO exit wound almost total loss of front should meat due to trauma bone fragments . We found bullet shards into both hind quarters .

To me that round failed in my opinion However the deer was dead , and hence the bullet did its job .

143 ELDX honrday box ammo 6.5CM
                              So since I have a pic its clear the bullet did not pass through Quartering shot in front of shoulder to get proper Exit or at least line of sight for exit . Any takes on how far away the shot was ??

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr
                              Last edited by HDWRENCH; 11-16-2018, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X