Meat after 7 years in deep freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat after 7 years in deep freeze

We process our own deer, and vacuum seal, so while I was filling feeders, my wife pulled some meat out of deep freeze, and I noticed it was 7 years old when I got home. I expected it to be a bit freezer burnt, or not that great, but it was perfect!!! Everyone ate like a champ, and kids left fries on plates to eat more steak.

I know a lot of people get rid of their meat or give it away after a year, but if you take care of it, it will last many years!
    Attached Files

Looks edible to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never had any vaccum packed meat to go bad, but about three years old is all I've ever eaten. It got "lost" in the refrigerator/freezer

Comment

Yep, a good vacuum sealer brought putting up deer meat to a whole new level...Everything else too!

Comment

Many, many years. I also recently prepared some game I had packaged in 2011

Comment

Originally posted by txtradesman View Post
            Many, many years. I also recently prepared some game I had packaged in 2011
            Good to hear! She went to a different freezer than normal since we had our main one filled up with de-boned steaks and burger meat from this year. I'd meant to cook them before, but thought she might throw a fit...apparently not!!!

Comment

How do you get meat to stay in the freezer that long? Ours is usually gone before the next season.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                How do you get meat to stay in the freezer that long? Ours is usually gone before the next season.
                We live in the panhandle! Deer are bigger up here...it's not odd for us to get 110 pounds of deboned meat off a big buck, and 60-80 lbs off a doe. Add in old home remodels, new home remodels, having kids and coaching select soccer teams and basketball and baseball, and you may ask how we have any time to hunt!

Comment

I like keeping my freezers fully
                  Stocked. I am currently eating deer from the 2015 season. It’s as good as the day I packaged it.

Comment

Legacy meat is what we called it in college...

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                      Stocked. I am currently eating deer from the 2015 season. It’s as good as the day I packaged it.

Horns can't eat, so I'd like to stock my living room with that deer in your avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post

I’m finishing up my 15 deer and will be starting on my 16 deer in he next month. I’m always eating deer that’s at least a year old. I only take one deer a year because I eat duck and dove I kill or chicken and fish that is store bought.

Comment

NO WAY I'd of eaten that! I've had food poisoning too many times to eat 7 yo meat. I've never been hungry/desperate enough to go that route! I'm actually amazed all y'all aren't chitin' like a goose.

Comment

I don't really know about frozen food stuff. back in 1984 c-rats were being replaced MRE"S so each time in the field were given the old stuff. we ate canned goods that was older than us. still good.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                              NO WAY I'd of eaten that! I've had food poisoning too many times to eat 7 yo meat. I've never been hungry/desperate enough to go that route! I'm actually amazed all y'all aren't chitin' like a goose.
                              None of those bad things happen to food once it is frozen.

Vacuum seal is the main thing to being able to keep food tasting good longer term.

Comment

Working...
                              X