Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Rusted Old Hickory Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusted Old Hickory Knives

Any advice on cleaning them up. I found 8 of them down at our butcher house. They are rusted pretty bad. I'd like to clean them up and sharpen them for my uncles and cousins for Christmas. Thought about a wire wheel or sand blasting, but don't want to damage them. Any advise is appreciated.

TIA

SAC

Get with BowVista I'm sure he could help you! He has refurbished a bunch lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Sanders View Post
      Get with BowVista I'm sure he could help you! He has refurbished a bunch lately.
      X2... He does great work. Really liked his last round of refurbies!

Comment

Check you tube on rust removal by Electrolysis.

Comment

I just finished two old butcher knives. Used a scotch brite pad and a nylon brush on the blade. Then washed in hot water. Had to repeat the process a few times. Used 180 grit sand paper on the handle. Washed again in hot water. Then sprayed the blade down with LEM silicone spray. Got the spray at a academy. They came out awesome.

Comment

I was thinking scotch brite also. If you use sandpaper on the blade, go fine, like 400 plus.

Comment

I tried sharpening them with my work sharp. Couldn't get a good edge on them. So I took them to a knife sharpener in town. Wow did he make them sharp. Good brisket and rib knives.

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
                I tried sharpening them with my work sharp. Couldn't get a good edge on them. So I took them to a knife sharpener in town. Wow did he make them sharp. Good brisket and rib knives.
                They are made of high carbon 1095 steel. A couple of good wet (water) stones would sharpen them up.

Comment

Yes they are carbon. Thanks never even thought about stones. Will know nest time

Comment

Yes they are carbon. Thanks never even thought about stones. Will know nest time
                    Make sure they are water stones. Never use oil. King and Norton (among others) make some very good water stones.

Comment

Can I pick them up at Bass Pro or Cabelas?

Comment

soak them in vinegar for a couple of hours ... check. repeat if necessary will cleanup good

Comment

Can I pick them up at Bass Pro or Cabelas?
                          Not that I know of.

Amazon has King and Norton. I would get a combo 1000/4000 or 1000/6000 grit. May need a courser grit if you have to really take some material off. Like maybe a 500/600 grit.

I have had some kitchen knives that I thought were beyond fixing, but I did get them back with the 1000 grit, it just took a little time.

Edit: if you want some quicker, you may try a good restaurant supply stores. Sushi chef's keep their knives super sharp, and they use water stones that I've mentioned.
                          Last edited by Ironman; 12-17-2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MR. L. View Post
                            soak them in vinegar for a couple of hours ... check. repeat if necessary will cleanup good

cider vinegar , I'd recommend 24 hrs

Comment

2 outta 14 aint bad. I know how to sharpen knives. I gotta get the rust taken care of first. I've heard the vinegar will neutralize the rust , but I need to get 15 years of rust off the blades.

Comment

Working...
                              X