Blunt antlers tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blunt antlers tips

I shot this buck Thursday. All the antler tips are blunt and not pointed. Someone told me it’s an age thing. Anybody else have an opinion?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	25163630

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rdstrong3; 11-11-2018, 09:33 PM.

It is my considered opinion that you shot a very nice buck. Congratulations.
    As for your question, I got nothin.

Comment

Sometimes they're sharp. Sometimes they're blunt. Sometimes some are sharp and some others are blunt. Sometimes there are more on one side than on the other and some on each side are blunt, while of course the others are sharper. Sometimes the blunt ones look sharp until you get out of your stand and walk up there and realize, "Nope, they're blunt". I once killed a buck with three blunt points and 7 sharp ones....I called him "the 10 point". Sometimes if they're real sharp, they can get blunt, but it's real hard for a buck to sharpen up blunt ones. Hope this helps you.

Nice deer, by the way. Pretty blunt points though.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

Thanks man. Not my target buck but meat in the freezer so I’m happy.

Comment

Bumping them on protein feeders will do that to them if they are regulars at one

Comment

He’s been working over a tree somewhere.

Comment

My bet is walking through tall grass while in velvet wearing them down. Seen this on some coastal deer a few times. With all the rain the grass on our place is well over their backs.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                x2 on that

Comment

I shot one down south that had super blunt tines, always wondered what caused it

Comment

All kinds of different things could come into play to cause the blunt tips. They can bump them on all kinds of things. I dont think age has anything to do with it though. NICE deer either way, congrats !!

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                      I shot one down south that had super blunt tines, always wondered what caused it
                      Attached Files

Comment

What a pot head walking around with all those blunts

Comment

It comes from bumping them not age.

Actually it’s a liability thing. Bucks are now required to blunt their antlers to reduce fighting injuries. It was part of a class action lawsuit where one buck stabbed another. The IBFA ( international buck fighting association) was held liable. The blunt tips rule was implemented to reduce injuries.

Also did you know that antlers are know to cause cancer in the state of California.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            Sometimes they're sharp. Sometimes they're blunt. Sometimes some are sharp and some others are blunt. Sometimes there are more on one side than on the other and some on each side are blunt, while of course the others are sharper. Sometimes the blunt ones look sharp until you get out of your stand and walk up there and realize, "Nope, they're blunt". I once killed a buck with three blunt points and 7 sharp ones....I called him "the 10 point". Sometimes if they're real sharp, they can get blunt, but it's real hard for a buck to sharpen up blunt ones. Hope this helps you.

Nice deer, by the way. Pretty blunt points though.
                            That was stated in a blunt manner!

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              It comes from bumping them not age.

Actually it’s a liability thing. Bucks are now required to blunt their antlers to reduce fighting injuries. It was part of a class action lawsuit where one buck stabbed another. The IBFA ( international buck fighting association) was held liable. The blunt tips rule was implemented to reduce injuries.

Also did you know that antlers are know to cause cancer in the state of California.
                              This sounds "plausible ".

Comment

Working...
                              X