• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and....

Comment

Well......

Comment

Junkers I fell like you stood us up!! You can't start a thread like this and not give us some closure.

Comment

Sorry folks! I don't spend much time on electronics up at the lease, for good reason. I got to see one hog out at about 50 yards. I also saw a couple turkey. The cool part was when I was in that blind and these two doe come tracking down the hill towards me. Bow in hand, arrow knocked and waiting. Well I'd put out little piles of hand corn at 20, 15 and 10 yards, 10 yards is freaking close by the way, so that I'd have a good idea of the range. The older of the doe stops a few yards from the furthest pile and starts blowing her nose at me. Then they both left. Not much of a story but I didn't see a single thing at that blind the rest of the weekend.

Anti-climatic but there it is.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
            Sorry folks! I don't spend much time on electronics up at the lease, for good reason. I got to see one hog out at about 50 yards. I also saw a couple turkey. The cool part was when I was in that blind and these two doe come tracking down the hill towards me. Bow in hand, arrow knocked and waiting. Well I'd put out little piles of hand corn at 20, 15 and 10 yards, 10 yards is freaking close by the way, so that I'd have a good idea of the range. The older of the doe stops a few yards from the furthest pile and starts blowing her nose at me. Then they both left. Not much of a story but I didn't see a single thing at that blind the rest of the weekend.

Richard.
            It happens, get back out there and enjoy the experience

Best of luck

Comment

good luck!! breathe deep and exhale slowly!! you'll be ok!

Comment

Bad wind for the stand?

Gary

Comment

I've had them blow at me when thay are upwind. I think that they see something that is a little different and blow to try to get a good smell.

Comment

Keep after ‘em, Richard!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Richard.
                      Well, you got to be out in the deer woods! A couple of questions/suggestions.

1) It kind of sounds like you sat in the exact same spot all weekend from your writeup. Do you only have one spot/blind to hunt? I've definitely gone back-back sits on a spot... but rarely more than that... especially if I have been busted. I'll usually let a spot sit idle a sit or two to let it calm down. Sometimes we have to make do with what we have... but it is good to change it up, sit some other place, after you get busted.

2) What was the wind like? This is another reason to have a couple places to sit and change it up.

3) The doe blowing at you might have been her smelling you on the corn or your foot prints on the ground. I don't use my hands when throwing fresh hand corn down on the ground, I use a bottle or a bag and shake it out on the ground. Rubber boots are your friend (especially with all this rain).

4) Did she blow and stomp for a while, then run? Often times, if they sit there and stomp, they haven't quite made you... but they are trying to get you to flinch so they can see you.

It is all a learning curve! Gotta put in the sits to figure out how this all works out. Hopefully your lease mates are being helpful and giving your pointers for where you area is, or your sits in general. You'll get there.

Comment

Coons with hooves. Consider dousing your corn piles with green apple or vanilla spray....entices the fat kids more and covers your scent somewhat. Artificial vanilla I get from Dollar Store. Jolly Rancher green apple drink mix sold by the koolaid at walmart. I mix with water accordingly in a spray bottle and apply liberally. Hell...I even spray the trees to keep the scent up in the air...literally.

Good luck.

Comment

Good things come to those who wait. Richard, there is still a lot of season left. This is your year.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            Well, you got to be out in the deer woods! A couple of questions/suggestions.

1) It kind of sounds like you sat in the exact same spot all weekend from your writeup. Do you only have one spot/blind to hunt? I've definitely gone back-back sits on a spot... but rarely more than that... especially if I have been busted. I'll usually let a spot sit idle a sit or two to let it calm down. Sometimes we have to make do with what we have... but it is good to change it up, sit some other place, after you get busted.

2) What was the wind like? This is another reason to have a couple places to sit and change it up.

3) The doe blowing at you might have been her smelling you on the corn or your foot prints on the ground. I don't use my hands when throwing fresh hand corn down on the ground, I use a bottle or a bag and shake it out on the ground. Rubber boots are your friend (especially with all this rain).

4) Did she blow and stomp for a while, then run? Often times, if they sit there and stomp, they haven't quite made you... but they are trying to get you to flinch so they can see you.

It is all a learning curve! Gotta put in the sits to figure out how this all works out. Hopefully your lease mates are being helpful and giving your pointers for where you area is, or your sits in general. You'll get there.
                            I tried one other spot, there are three, on the place but saw nothing there either. In the case of the doe blowing her nose at me the wind was coming from me to them so it most likely was my smell. I totally used my hand to put the corn out (it's called "hand corn") so that was a rookie mistake on my end. I seem to have a lot of those....

She blew about four or five times and then just turned and walked off.

We plan to go back up for Thanksgiving. I'll do more research on this. Sure would like to put a deer on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                              Coons with hooves. Consider dousing your corn piles with green apple or vanilla spray....entices the fat kids more and covers your scent somewhat. Artificial vanilla I get from Dollar Store. Jolly Rancher green apple drink mix sold by the koolaid at walmart. I mix with water accordingly in a spray bottle and apply liberally. Hell...I even spray the trees to keep the scent up in the air...literally.

Good luck.
                              Hmmm.... scented spray. That's something I'd neither thought nor heard of yet.

Richard

Comment

I tried one other spot, there are three, on the place but saw nothing there either. In the case of the doe blowing her nose at me the wind was coming from me to them so it most likely was my smell. I totally used my hand to put the corn out (it's called "hand corn") so that was a rookie mistake on my end. I seem to have a lot of those....

She blew about four or five times and then just turned and walked off.

We plan to go back up for Thanksgiving. I'll do more research on this. Sure would like to put a deer on the ground.
                                I have been using my hand for hand corn for 8 years, never a problem.
                                Probably something else alerted her

Comment

Working...
                                X