Budget binos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget binos

So, I'm thinking of upgrading my binos. I am currently running with the Leupold Rogues. The compact set. What I'm looking for is something that lets in more light in low light conditions. My neighbor has a pair of Swaro's, and he let me borrow them for a weekend and now I know why they are so dang expensive. Those puppies are outstanding!! At first/last light anything beyond 100yds I can't tell if I'm looking at a buck or doe through my Leupolds, through my neighbors Swaro's not only could I tell if the deer was a buck or doe, but I could clearly count the points on the bucks rack, tell if he was legal or not, and watch them flip me the bird because it was after legal shooting light or just before. I can't afford the price of the Swaro's but was curious if there was anything in the $500-750 range, or am I just better off dropping $1000. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Sat this weekend comparing a friends Vortex Viper 10x50 HD's to my Swaro SLC's. Very impressed with the Vipers. Tried my darndest to make a out a huge difference between the two and honestly there is a slight advantage in low light with the SLC's. Can't really say there's $1200 difference though with the Vipers costing around $500.

Comment

Viper HDs for sure. I had a set of Swaro 10x42 SLC and ended up trading them for some Viper HDs and cash. I couldn't tell much difference at all, and the Vipers are MUCH lighter. For that price range, I really don't think you can beat the Vipers.

Comment

Shameless plug, I've got an extra set of these that are great glass, probably not quite to the $1k swaros, but def better than the Vipers.

Comment

Yep, Vortex in the price range you want to spend. Heck all i have are the diamondbacks and when other people look thru them they are amazed and the clarity and amount of light they draw in.

Comment

I was really impressed with the Ziess 10x42 I looked thru a few years ago. Lightweight and very clear in while hunting. I ended up going with Leica Geovids so I could have a rangefinder and binos together in one. Also my cousin bought a pair of Vortex lower end 10x42 and they were clear under low light. Lot of good brands out there nowdays.

Comment

Just picked up a pair of Vortex Diamondback 12x50 and very pleased. Good glass for the money. $250 range.

Comment

I've read a lot of good reviews on the Viper series as well as the Diamondbacks. My primarily use will be for hunting at my farm which is only 60acres so I am sitting either in a tree or in a blind, so weight of the binos is really not an issue. I do plan on having some hunts coming up in the future in Oklahoma or Colorado. So a bino harness will be in order. So my other question is, what size would you recommend? I like to hear what your first hand experiences are instead of what I read online from other sites.

Comment

Look at the Sig Zulu7’s. I have a pair and compared them to my Swaro EL’s. The Sigs really impress for the price. Another very good option is Kowa Genesis but MSRP is $1400. Not sure what street price is.

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
                    I've read a lot of good reviews on the Viper series as well as the Diamondbacks. My primarily use will be for hunting at my farm which is only 60acres so I am sitting either in a tree or in a blind, so weight of the binos is really not an issue. I do plan on having some hunts coming up in the future in Oklahoma or Colorado. So a bino harness will be in order. So my other question is, what size would you recommend? I like to hear what your first hand experiences are instead of what I read online from other sites.

8x42 Vortex. Any more zoom and I shake too much, and it makes it difficult to pick up movement. If you have a good rest, go up in power. I have 12x50's that I mount on a tripod to steady them.

Real world use, I used the 8x42's to spot elk from about a mile away two weeks ago. I was picking up antlers while our guide and my dad could only tell which elk had big bodies. Guide had a set of 10x Swarovski's for what its worth.

Comment

Maven, and I own or have owned Vortex Viper HD and Razors.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        Maven, and I own or have owned Vortex Viper HD and Razors.
                        2nd'ed.

Really like their glass

Comment

Look into Explore bino's. Not Swarso or Leica but great bang for you buck the guy that started it used to work for Ziess.

Comment

Get with Arrowsmith I just got my Vortex binos from him. You can’t beat his prices and service. Vortex has great customer service as well

Comment

Vortex Viper HD best bang for buck IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X