Pawn Shops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pawn Shops?

I have never spent any time in pawn shops and don't really know how they work. I'm getting the itch for a "new" o/u shotgun and the pawn shop route just crossed my mind for some reason. I have some old jewelry I've been wanting to get rid of (wedding ring and watch my ex gave me). I always thought they would give me pennies on the dollar for the jewelry but do they do that with guns as well? I guess what I'm getting at is new the jewelry was bought for about what a new shotgun would cost so do I have any shot on a close to even trade as opposed to selling the jewelry outright at a huge loss? And what are the odds of finding a gun I would like at a pawn shop? Thanks.

Just go buy one from them. Odds on finding a nice gun is pretty good.They will give you nearly nothing for the jewelry.

Comment

Don't be surprised when it's not much cheaper than buying new. Haggle it down.

Comment

In my experience they want to give about 25% of value, but charge near retail or above on firearms.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
          I guess what I'm getting at is new the jewelry was bought for about what a new shotgun would cost so do I have any shot on a close to even trade as opposed to selling the jewelry outright at a huge loss?

No. Taking the pawn shop out of the equation, jewelry depreciates like crazy whereas guns don't. A ring that cost $1000 might be worth $50-100 to a jeweler whereas a $1000 gun would likely be worth $750 to a gun retailer.

Comment

I found a local jewelry store that will always pay for jewelry (at least) what it weighs at the market price for gold/silver. That usually ends up being more than a pawn shop will pay if they are looking at selling it as the ring/necklace/etc. that it is.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Jewelry depreciation is the main reason it is still sitting in a drawer. I'm not sure I will waste my time with looking. I'll probably just keep an eye out in the classifieds here.

Comment

Just about every pawn shop I go to has a 700adl that Academy sells for $379 listed used for $400.

Pawn shop gun deals are few and far between since 08

Comment

A good friend of mine owns a pawn shop.

He says the only value you get out of jewelry is the smile and feeling you get when you give it to someone. Otherwise it's dang near worthless.

Comment

Buy the gun you want online. Find an FFL that will charge you $20 to do the transfer and have the place you got it send it there. Or post what you are looking for on here and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                      Thanks for the replies. Jewelry depreciation is the main reason it is still sitting in a drawer. I'm not sure I will waste my time with looking. I'll probably just keep an eye out in the classifieds here.
                      What kind of O/U shotgun are you looking for? I'm thinking of selling one I don't shoot much. Browning 20 gauge

Comment

Sell the scrap gold at a jewelry exchange to soften up the blow. As for said over and under I would like to recommend the weatherby Orion. I got one a couple of years ago and love it! Not flashy but nice gun to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                          Buy the gun you want online. Find an FFL that will charge you $20 to do the transfer and have the place you got it send it there. Or post what you are looking for on here and see what happens.
                          I would find a local gun shop and give them a chance before just jumping on line. I own a small gun shop. It amazes me that how many people just flock to buds and wont give a shop a chance. I love it when it comes in and I have one on the shelf that is cheaper than what they paid for it. No offense but if you don't throw the little guys a bone there won't be gun shops to do the transfers. Sorry now off my soap box.

Comment

Pawn shops list their guns for more than they need out of it because a lot of times, people that don't know any better will just pay what the tag says. The pawn shops usually expect you to haggle with them so they will price the gun with haggle room in it. I usually find a gun that I like, haggle with them on the price a little to get an idea on where they are, leave for a while or a day, come back, haggle some more, and then ask them what their lowest cash out the door price is. Have as much cash ready as you think you will need. Deals can still be had, you just have to make them.

Comment

Never did much good in pawn shops. Bought a few tools. Like everyone said, they give you nothing for your stuff and charge close to retail for used, non warranted items. Better know the value of what you're looking for BEFORE you go in. They'll be happy to take your money with a smile.

Comment

Working...
                              X