Camp Bullis 2017????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!
    This weekend should be a lot better with the colder weather!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
      Thanks!
      This weekend should be a lot better with the colder weather!
      I'll be there early Friday... Good luck all

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like I'll have to hit a doe with my truck. I've hunted about ten times so far thinking I'll finally pattern the few does in the area. No luck. Kicking myself for passing on a 45yd quartering-toward me shot, thinking she'll turn. The bucks run them off the feeder every time. Only a handful of doe pictures from feeder cam all season. Sat patiently as several large bucks have passed at 30 yards. Hopefully this cold weather will change my luck.

Comment

Originally posted by L C View Post
          Looks like I'll have to hit a doe with my truck. I've hunted about ten times so far thinking I'll finally pattern the few does in the area. No luck. Kicking myself for passing on a 45yd quartering-toward me shot, thinking she'll turn. The bucks run them off the feeder every time. Only a handful of doe pictures from feeder cam all season. Sat patiently as several large bucks have passed at 30 yards. Hopefully this cold weather will change my luck.
          Good luck, I'm right there with ya

Comment

Tonight I had every buck in the area pass within shooting distance. The spike, the 4, the small 8, three medium 8s, one large 8, one huge 7, and the boss 8. The bigger 3 all had thick chocolate horns, and passed within 30 yards. They even locked antlers a few times.

No does whatsoever.

I've seen no more than 3 does all season.

The pigs made a lot of noise near dark, but never showed.

Otherwise a great evening.

Some snow still left on the ground. Can't believe I'm actually saying that.

Comment

Originally posted by L C View Post
              Tonight I had every buck in the area pass within shooting distance. The spike, the 4, the small 8, three medium 8s, one large 8, one huge 7, and the boss 8. The bigger 3 all had thick chocolate horns, and passed within 30 yards. They even locked antlers a few times.

No does whatsoever.

I've seen no more than 3 does all season.

The pigs made a lot of noise near dark, but never showed.

Otherwise a great evening.

Some snow still left on the ground. Can't believe I'm actually saying that.
              Makes you really wonder about the accuracy of their deer surveys.

Comment

Saw 9 different bucks on Saturday morning but nothing that I wanted to shoot. I have a couple of nice 10 pointers that I am holding out for. Sunday morning I had several deer crunching corn before daylight and about 6:35 a bunch of Coyotes let loose and the deer all vanished. Same thing happened Sunday night, Coyotes seemed to be close and started letting loose around 4:45 and continued till dark. Guess I will get after them again this weekend. Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by born-two-hunt View Post
                  Saw 9 different bucks on Saturday morning but nothing that I wanted to shoot. I have a couple of nice 10 pointers that I am holding out for. Sunday morning I had several deer crunching corn before daylight and about 6:35 a bunch of Coyotes let loose and the deer all vanished. Same thing happened Sunday night, Coyotes seemed to be close and started letting loose around 4:45 and continued till dark. Guess I will get after them again this weekend. Tom.
                  Same scenario with me...except I'm still chasing that doe. Sunday morning had deer at the feeder prior to daylight. Had 2 does within 8yds of my blind as soon as it was light enough, I knew I should wait but I tried to draw and they heard it. Day ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by 5qu1n7 View Post
                    Same scenario with me...except I'm still chasing that doe. Sunday morning had deer at the feeder prior to daylight. Had 2 does within 8yds of my blind as soon as it was light enough, I knew I should wait but I tried to draw and they heard it. Day ruined.

No offense, but I see a crossbow in your future.

Comment

No offense, but I see a crossbow in your future.
                      None taken...I started Googling as soon as I got out of the field.

Comment

Originally posted by 5qu1n7 View Post
                        None taken...I started Googling as soon as I got out of the field.

Maybe some of you arent seeing many deer because of things like this: so my buddy that hunts out there had this on camera Friday-areas opened at 0900 and he has this guy driving through his area-my buddy was told by Cooper that the guy in the truck is a land management contractor. Maybe you can see him looking at the feeder on a drive by during open hunting hours. Off roading to boot as there are no tracks in the snow in front of his tires...any thoughts from the green screen?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	24522730

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know that Bullis was closed the day right after it snowed that night because of concerns of iced over bridges, and they only let hunters in later that day so the snow would have been melted by then, so the guy probably figured nobody was going to be there.
                          There is always traffic and training going on, plus contractors and land management people who think they can go where they want, so those Bullis deer have always been skittish, and moreso than any private ranch you would hunt on that wasn't a training area.
                          As for not seeing deer, it's Bullis, and you have to accept the fact that they are nocturnal creatures for the most part.
                          The rut and post rut, is always the best time because the bucks are looking for does, and then the acorns are gone, and they will come to the corn because they are worn down from the rut and starving.
                          Late season is a good time to take a monster if you have patience.
                          Last edited by Jimbo47; 12-11-2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I know that Bullis was closed the day right after it snowed that night because of concerns of iced over bridges, and they only let hunters in later that day so the snow would have been melted by then.
                            There is always traffic and training going on, so those Bullis deer have always been skittish, and moreso than any private ranch you would hunt on that wasn't a training area.
                            As for not seeing deer, it's Bullis, and you have to accept the fact that they are nocturnal creatures for the most part.
                            The rut and post rut, is always the best time because the bucks are looking for does, and then the acorns are gone, and they will come to the corn because they are worn down from the rut and starving.
                            Late season is a good time to take a monster if you have patience.
                            So what you are saying is that you would have no issue with someone driving a vehicle between your stand and your feeder at 1314 on a day when your hunting area opened at 0900?
                            I have hunted Bullis in the past-I have also had items stolen from Bullis in the past. I have also had troops go through my area when in the blind, that is a little different from what this is showing me.

Comment

Originally posted by stikflipr View Post
                              So what you are saying is that you would have no issue with someone driving a vehicle between your stand and your feeder at 1314 on a day when your hunting area opened at 0900?
                              I have hunted Bullis in the past-I have also had items stolen from Bullis in the past. I have also had troops go through my area when in the blind, that is a little different from what this is showing me.

Never said I wouldn't have an issue, but there is a lot going on out there, and it could be a simple communications matter.
                              It's all part of the wonderful privilege of hunting there, and you take a risk any time you place your property out there, and I hear what you are saying.
                              I've hunted there for years and even had items stolen myself, but it comes with the territory, so you can report the incident to the officials and let them take it from there.
                              You asked for any thoughts, so those are mine.
                              Side note....I've had two hueys land just yards in front of me while hunting and had my vehicle surrounded by about forty troops unloading from troop carrier.
                              Got caught up in an ambush one time, and wasn't suppossed to be troops in the area.
                              Had people drive through the brush into my clearing barely missing my feeder.... It happens!
                              Last edited by Jimbo47; 12-11-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Anyone hunted in the General Permit areas? Anyone had any luck with exotics, pigs, or coyotes not in the WTD areas. Just moved back to Texas. Missed out on the lottery but wondering if the general permit is worth it for anything other than turkey season in the spring.

Comment

Working...
                                X