No announcement yet.

Ruger African 275 Rigby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found one at the League City Cabela's. I drove down on Christmas eve and picked it up. If the OK city Cabela's calls about the one they sent back I will let ya'll know so one of you guys can swoop in a grab it.

Comment

Nice rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
        ******UPDATE****

This is the most belligerent, heard headed, stubborn rifle I have ever owned. If it wasn't for me being even more stubborn we would have parted ways by now. To start things off the floor plate was in a bind brand new out of the box, o a little hand fitting and file work has it working smooth. Next problem was the inletting a bit oversized but nothing a little bedding wont fix, a little opening up of the barrel channel and all is good. Then the scope ring had to be lapped both had tight spots in them and one was slighty egged but a little elbow grease and all is smooth. And finally the accuracy, I have to say it is horrible it absolutely will not shoot a light bullet with a short bearing surface. I mean at 100 yards buckshot is a tighter group. So lets go to the 150's nope 2" with H4350, 4831 and R19. I tried 201m, 210, Winchester primers no go. Finally after almost giving up I found some Wolfe primers, 160 Speer Hot Cor and a stiff load of H 4831 and it is now shooting 1/2" groups. So no matter what never give up because you will finally find a load that works. Now I cant wait for October and my Colorado Muledeer hunt.
        Typical Ruger 77 from my experience. Only had one Ruger 77 that would hold a group and I let that lil 7mm-08 get away to a friends 7 year old grandson where it will stay for eternity. All I ever had were OK on the first round with a cold barrel. After that they would walk all over the place and no amount of tweaking could fix it. Most would only shoot one particular bullet and load that you could rely on. I am sure it is the barrel quality. I have seen many that were re-barreled and made into shooters. Also truing the bolt face is a must do when re-barreling.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          Typical Ruger 77 from my experience. Only had one Ruger 77 that would hold a group and I let that lil 7mm-08 get away to a friends 7 year old grandson where it will stay for eternity. All I ever had were OK on the first round with a cold barrel. After that they would walk all over the place and no amount of tweaking could fix it. Most would only shoot one particular bullet and load that you could rely on. I am sure it is the barrel quality. I have seen many that were re-barreled and made into shooters. Also truing the bolt face is a must do when re-barreling.
          Luckily I have 2 of the Zytel paddle stock Ruger that are great shooters, both were made in the early 90's. My 280 will shoot 5/8" groups and my 233" will shoot 3/8". They took a little bit of careful reloading but will do that with several different loads. So far I have 2 loads that will shoot consistent 3/4" groups in the 275 at 100 yards, but I knew this wasn't going to be a super accurate rifle. It is a heck of a lot of fun to hunt with though.

Comment

Luckily I have 2 of the Zytel paddle stock Ruger that are great shooters, both were made in the early 90's. My 280 will shoot 5/8" groups and my 233" will shoot 3/8". They took a little bit of careful reloading but will do that with several different loads. So far I have 2 loads that will shoot consistent 3/4" groups in the 275 at 100 yards, but I knew this wasn't going to be a super accurate rifle. It is a heck of a lot of fun to hunt with though.
            For what it's worth, I've had similar great experiences with the M77 All Weather rifles in 7mm Mag. Each grouped very well with hand loads tested out to 350yds. When using factory rounds, both grouped well with Hornady 162 gr. Average grouping with other efforts.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

******UPDATE****

This is the most belligerent, heard headed, stubborn rifle I have ever owned. If it wasn't for me being even more stubborn we would have parted ways by now. To start things off the floor plate was in a bind brand new out of the box, o a little hand fitting and file work has it working smooth. Next problem was the inletting a bit oversized but nothing a little bedding wont fix, a little opening up of the barrel channel and all is good. Then the scope ring had to be lapped both had tight spots in them and one was slighty egged but a little elbow grease and all is smooth. And finally the accuracy, I have to say it is horrible it absolutely will not shoot a light bullet with a short bearing surface. I mean at 100 yards buckshot is a tighter group. So lets go to the 150's nope 2" with H4350, 4831 and R19. I tried 201m, 210, Winchester primers no go. Finally after almost giving up I found some Wolfe primers, 160 Speer Hot Cor and a stiff load of H 4831 and it is now shooting 1/2" groups. So no matter what never give up because you will finally find a load that works. Now I cant wait for October and my Colorado Muledeer hunt.

This is the reason I didn't buy one. Although its a beautiful rifle and the appeal of the cartridge is high, it's a Ruger. I've never heard of anyone that had a Ruger that shot well right out of the box.

Comment

Nice Rifle! I am a Ruger fan through and through. I currently have 4 in the safe. 22-250, 243, 25-06, 7mm wsm. I really want a 6.5x55 swede, but im afraid I may have to keep wanting.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                    This is the reason I didn't buy one. Although its a beautiful rifle and the appeal of the cartridge is high, it's a Ruger. I've never heard of anyone that had a Ruger that shot well right out of the box.
                    It shot good enough out of the box for 90% of the hunters out there, I just get OCD about my loads. It is keeping nice 1" groups now, and besides it not fun if you don't get to tinker with it.

Comment

It shot good enough out of the box for 90% of the hunters out there, I just get OCD about my loads. It is keeping nice 1" groups now, and besides it not fun if you don't get to tinker with it.
                      I totally understand. Unfortunately I'm not one of those 90% guys you're talking about. My OCD gets the best of me and I will spend a butt load of money on components trying to find the magical one hole load. I'm my own worst enemy!

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                        I totally understand. Unfortunately I'm not one of those 90% guys you're talking about. My OCD gets the best of me and I will spend a butt load of money on components trying to find the magical one hole load. I'm my own worst enemy!
                        Yep I understand that I shot competition for years, but I decided this was going to be a fun gun and not worry so much about accuracy.

Comment

Funny I stay as far away from any thing ruger rifle wise . I used to live a few miles from the AZ plant .. I had several rifles and well never impressed me one bit in the accuracy department .

Glad you got 1/2 inch groups had a 25-06 varmint rig that would never group under 1.3-1.4 no matter what bullet powder weight etc.. Ruger got the gun back but they do not state groups so I sold it off . Spent all summer testing loads was a bummer it looked very nice laminated stock etc .

Glad you got yours sorted out . better job than I could do .

Comment

Working...
                          X